Beyonce says she can't go to church because she's too popular....

I can understand where she is coming from but where there is a will there is a way. If she really wanted to be in attendance she would be!

She should find a small church (one that's not high profile) to attend.

Because that's a trick of the enemy to lure her out of church.

She has no problem going to the clubs and having people come up to her and ask for her autograph so she shouldn't use it as an excuse.

There still are many church's around that care for your soul and not the autograph they can sell on ebay.

i wholeheartedly agree with this esp. the bolded

Since I don't know Beyonce personally and do not know what her life is like I will just pray for her. I pray that God feeds her spirit in whatever way he sees fit and that he will guide her and keep her.

Going out in public to eat or going to clubs where you are paid to be seen and talking to fans is totally different from being in church. When you are out you put up a front to deal with your celebrity. Maybe when she goes to church she just wants to be herself, shout, holler, cry, fall out, etc., without worrying that someone might sell it or put it on youtube. For some people being in church is finding peace and oneness with the Lord. How can you be at peace when you always have to watch your back? Its like being mobbed by fans when you are sitting on the toilet trying to do #2. You're not comfortable and why shouldn't she be able to feel at peace?

She may have gone to church for years or pray with her mother on the weekends. I don't think going or not going to church makes you more or less christian. I don't need a pastor to interpret the bible in the way he sees fit, I can read it myself and gain my own understanding. I'm sure there is plenty of people she can call if she has questions about a passage from the bible, or she can google it.

Going out in public to eat or going to clubs where you are paid to be seen and talking to fans is totally different from being in church. When you are out you put up a front to deal with your celebrity. Maybe when she goes to church she just wants to be herself, shout, holler, cry, fall out, etc., without worrying that someone might sell it or put it on youtube. For some people being in church is finding peace and oneness with the Lord. How can you be at peace when you always have to watch your back? Its like being mobbed by fans when you are sitting on the toilet trying to do #2. You're not comfortable and why shouldn't she be able to feel at peace?

She may have gone to church for years or pray with her mother on the weekends. I don't think going or not going to church makes you more or less christian. I don't need a pastor to interpret the bible in the way he sees fit, I can read it myself and gain my own understanding. I'm sure there is plenty of people she can call if she has questions about a passage from the bible, or she can google it.

Very true reply. I agree with every word!

An Easter ago, I went to my moms church where LL Cool J is a member. He was there with his wife, and of course after service there were mobs of girls trying to get his autograph in their Sunday best. (I wasn't one of them, but I was straining to get a peek :look:) To me, that is so tacky and disrespectful to treat someone as a celebrity after they just finished worshiping with their family. I can only imagine how someone like Beyonce may feel, no matter how small and private the congregation may be, there will always be someone who will harass them.

I know after church I want to feel peaceful and collect my thoughts, I would definitely never attend if I had to be afraid that other people , even a small few, would be all up in my grill piece asking for an autograph, or staring at me during service while they should be communing :nono:

I'm appalled that people would be taking pictures of her during a sermon and filming her during church. Obviously she had to be at church in the first place for her to complain about how people react to her. Ya'll comparing Beyonce to B list celebrities. Heck Montell Jordan was at my old church and it was girls screaming during service when saw him coming in, go figure. I don't think we get brownie points from God, for judging her. We don't know the whole deal, no matter how much we think we do. So what's the point. We all have obstacles, hers is a little different from the average, but nevertheless it's an obtacle. All you can do is geniunely pray she finds a solution, if your really that bothered by it.

Well, the only scripture that comes to mind about this situation is, "Don't forsake the fellowship of saints.

Hebrews 10:24-25

24And let us consider and give [a]attentive, continuous care to watching over one another, studying how we may stir up (stimulate and incite) to love and helpful deeds and noble activities, 25Not forsaking or neglecting to assemble together [as believers], as is the habit of some people, but admonishing (warning, urging, and encouraging) one another, and all the more faithfully as you see the day approaching.

Well, the only scripture that comes to mind about this situation is, "Don't forsake the fellowship of saints.

24And let us consider and give [a]attentive, continuous care to watching over one another, studying how we may stir up (stimulate and incite) to love and helpful deeds and noble activities, 25Not forsaking or neglecting to assemble together [as believers], as is the habit of some people, but admonishing (warning, urging, and encouraging) one another, and all the more faithfully as you see the day approaching.

This doesn't HAVE to occur in a church building. We fellowship on this board all the time, for example.:yep:

If she is still being led, God will lead her to exactly where she needs to be.

I remember Michael Jordan saying how he had to stop going to church because they would always want him to address the congregation and stuff plus folks wouldn't leave him alone. Can you imagine how that must feel? You come to praise the Lord and hear the Word and people are taking your picture, whispering and staring at you throughout the whole service, getting mobbed once service is over etc. And y'all know that once folks found out that Beyonceor Michael Jordan belongs to such a such church there's gonna be way more folks up in there besides the congregation:rolleyes:. There won't be a calming down after a while, it'll become a tourist attraction/freakshow:nono:.

Eric Benet, Halle Berry, CeCe Winans and Dion Sanders have attended my momma's church. Famous people attend TD Jakes' church all of the time REGULARLY.

Whatever, Bey. You can't say you're married but you can publicly announce that you're too famous for church. Girl, shut up.

Okay, I realize that I'm being unreasonable. I think that my mommas church ups the security when a celebrity is attending. They usually sit in the front or near the choir/band stand and exit through the back of the church. She could get that set-up so that she can attend and worship regularly. You can't really see them unless you're in the tithing line making it around the church.

Last edited:

What if she got the spirit and folks u-tube it all over the world:look: (like they did that fall) ITA with your post though.:grin:

reflect on those times that you are fighting yourself to go to church.

I mean you had a long week, you're tired, you don't feel good, you have a lot to do...and you can come up with a million reasons why missing church today is no big deal...he believes and I believe that for some reason...that tends to be the Sunday Pastor preaches on something you NEEDED to hear. I've found that to be true.

I've talked myself out of going to church a few times...wasn't doing anything special but after I hear my Pastor say that I went back and listened to the internet sermons from weeks that I missed and boy oh boy...they were right on target for what I was going through at the time. :rolleyes: I should have been there!

The thing is every time I've come up with reasons NOT to go I'm always very fulfilled when I go and I always feel better about having gone. That's just me. But no, one Sunday doesn't ruin me.

The other point is for most of us, it starts off as one Sunday at a time. You miss one then it becomes easier to miss others then it becomes easier to miss a prayer time you committed to or a bible study you committed to and before you know it you haven't been to church or picked up your bible in a year and some.

Powerful and so true! :yep:

This doesn't HAVE to occur in a church building. We fellowship on this board all the time, for example.:yep:

If she is still being led, God will lead her to exactly where she needs to be.

ITA. Since when is the church the only place you can worship God? My bible says where 2 or 3 are gathered in His name...

She might be having bible study privately, daily devotions, etc...

And since when was she the spokesperson for Chrisitianity?

not to put anyone down I think its all crap anyway. How you going be shaking your body and carrying on and telling guys how much they want you and be up in church on Sunday. If you going to sin in my opinion go all the way out, why do a little do it up. its like if your going to rob a bank why get a few hundred when you can rack up thousands if you only get twenty dollars your going to do 10-20 anyway might as well get a all you can. I mean good grief. I can see if she was repenting but she isn't she is doing her thing. I wouldn't even expect her or any of those stars to be in church at all and its no shock to me if they say they would never do it. It says a lot about you the person doing all that you do that is certainly in no way pleasing to God and then talk about the spiritual realm get the heck out of here with that. I would love for her to go spiritual and repent I would buy her album because I like her voice but I am so not intersted in her swinging her behind around on stage and saying Thank you God What!!!!!!

You know what is funny....... and I apologize because I did not read every posted remark....but people are choosing to define a building as church. Everyone talks about not JUDGING. Yet in the same paragraph still JUDGE. If GOD be our judge- then so be it. Beyonce' is human as is all of us. Her mistakes are magnified because of her public popularity. If none of us have a close enough relationship with her to offer to have devotion with her or to invite her to a bible study- then none of us should voice any negative opinions. We do not know how she is being fed, and therefore we can not say she is or is not being fed. Women of God please learn to love and respect everyone. I have grown and learned more spiritually through my interaction with "Ordinary" people who God places in my life. I minister and others minister to me on the street corner through casual- deep conversation. Open your hearts and eyes and understand our God is not confined to a BUILDING.

Wow...I'm appalled at some of the posts here. I rarely come into this forum and now I recall why. I am a Christian and I grew up in church and currently attend services weekly. I will not judge Beyonce negatively based on the reason she gave for not attending services. I understand where she is coming from. I put myself in her shoes. Spirituality and worship is sacred and very personal. I'm not a celeb and I don't like folk all up in my spiritual business. It would bug me when my mom would comment on wether or not I was feeling the spirit in service.....I wanted to scream "why are you looking at me in church?...leave me the heck alone when I'm trying to worship!!!" But God would probably strike me dead if I spoke to my mom like that....Anyway, I sometimes take issue with those who don't got to church because "there are so many hypocrites...blah, blah, blah" but I think her concerns are valid. I hope she does have the opportunity to fellowship with other believers in some form, though.

Wow....my spirit is really vexed right now. Pray for me.:perplexed Maybe I'll search for an uplifting thread next...

You know what is funny....... and I apologize because I did not read every posted remark....but people are choosing to define a building as church. Everyone talks about not JUDGING. Yet in the same paragraph still JUDGE. If GOD be our judge- then so be it. Beyonce' is human as is all of us. Her mistakes are magnified because of her public popularity. If none of us have a close enough relationship with her to offer to have devotion with her or to invite her to a bible study- then none of us should voice any negative opinions. We do not know how she is being fed, and therefore we can not say she is or is not being fed. Women of God please learn to love and respect everyone. I have grown and learned more spiritually through my interaction with "Ordinary" people who God places in my life. I minister and others minister to me on the street corner through casual- deep conversation. Open your hearts and eyes and understand our God is not confined to a BUILDING.

I must concur.

Plus like someone already said, Beyonce is not just any celebrity, in my opinion she is more famous than the average black celeb so it may be a little harder for her than some other celebs. I agree its probably a lot for her to deal with the commotion around her attending church. The commotion might cause others to deflect from receiving the word of the lord also. I refuse to pass any judgment on her because we all fall short of the glory.

Although the "church" is not a building...I do think it's VERY important that we all have a support group/accountability partners/prayer partners who can help us grow spritually. Hopefully, she has some people like that in her life :)

All I have to say is JESUS wasnt too popular to go to church.:newbie:

I usually don't come here in but.....i don't think you can or should compare beyonce to jesus or jesus to beyonce:nono:

I would think that the type of attention a pop star and a religious figure would attract in church is going to be pretty different attention. One would get attention that is filled diginity and sacredness while the other would get "take a pic with me Bey! how's jigga!"

plus...being or not being in church does not equal a lack of spirituality...the kingdom of heaven does not lie in a building made of bricks; it lies within your heart.....

backing out of thead now......:giveup:

Last edited:
It's been a minute since I posted in this (my own) thread! :grin: Looks to have been "spirited" and thankfully respectful participation by all!

I hang my opinions (not judgements) on two scriptures:

Luke 4:16: "He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read"

Jesus did not ONLY assemble with fellow believers in His home or at the local Starbucks. He went into THE SYNAGOGUE...as was His custom. In other words, HE ALWAYS DID IT!

Hebrews 10:25: "Not forsaking or neglecting to assemble together [as believers], as is the habit of some people, but admonishing (warning, urging, and encouraging) one another, and all the more faithfully as you see the day approaching."

Peace and love....

Hmm
Honestly if she feels that is how she would be comfortable.
then what is the issue.
Big deal.. its not like God is gonna punish you b.c you dont go to his house.
Im not a church goer either but I believe.
and faith is all I have . and I am content with it. .

and your right .. Jay-z could be the problem.. but who blames him .
Its not keeping them away from god its just it is what it is.

The sad thing she is right.

But why would any beleiver find anything intersting about someone who caters to everything contrary to Kingdom living. If anyone can tell me that her music and music videos are pleasing to God than I will retract this post. She doesn't claim to be a Beleiver but a "church girl". So what if she wants to go, or she doesn't want to go, who cares?! God will only except hot or cold. Luke warm is spewed out! And PLEASE don't blame her husband. She got what she wanted and he never pretended to be anything else.

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

Just like you and I , the Lord has a standard . Just like we can't cater to the flesh, she can't. We may be "vague and unclear" in what He expects (only because we won't read what He has written or not bold enough to say it) but He is VERY clear! Her music and her videos keep people tied to carnal behaviors. Get over it! You know you can't dress and sing about things that appeal to your lower nature and find yourself thriving in the things of God. Come on!

The only reason people say they "can't judge her" is because they love the sin too.

The rain falls on the just as well as the unjust.

Please don't be fooled into thinking that because she is famous , God is blessing her. Just like bad things happen to the righteous. Supposedly good things happen to the unrighteous. The enemy will feed your appetite and God will allow it because of your disobedience.

Open rebuke is better than secret love.

If you really cared so much for her as an entertainer, then you would be praying the scriptures over her. Not for the blessings of God but for the convication of the Holy Spirit. Her success in the earth is not important but her eternal life is what matters. You think it's okay that she may be saved but her influence in the earth keeps others from salvation or beleviers from Godly living?!

All idols must come down!

....okay here come the stones!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, when you're as rich as Beyonce, what you need church for anyway? :)

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: I can always count on you Bloss to make me smile:)

I can't say that Beyonce's telling the truth 100%, but assuming she is..............

My personal concern is why people are MORE CONCERNED with Beyonce when they are in church, than in RECEIVING THE SPIRIT OR CONNECTING WITH GOD OR GETTING A SPIRITUAL MESSAGE/DELIVERANCE!

That's where my focus is. Beyonce is a human being, and people should not be worshipping her in church! They should be worshipping God:yep:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: I can always count on you Bloss to make me smile:)

I can't say that Beyonce's telling the truth 100%, but assuming she is..............

My personal concern is why people are MORE CONCERNED with Beyonce when they are in church, than in RECEIVING THE SPIRIT OR CONNECTING WITH GOD OR GETTING A SPIRITUAL MESSAGE/DELIVERANCE!

That's where my focus is. Beyonce is a human being, and people should not be worshipping her in church! They should be worshipping God:yep:

Exactly! ITA

I'm not going to lie....i do listen to some of her music. It's very hard getting around not knowing about her if you live on planet Earth. But one thing, I am very, very selective about what music I listen to from her and I don't watch any of her videos. For instance, I like "Cater 2 U" and "Wishing on a Star" but seriously, almost all of her music is too seductive and sexually suggestive. I can't even think of anything or an excuse to say otherwise. It's too much.

The bolded statement has prompted me to post my thoughts because it is APPALLING to me that one celebrity can disrupt an entire worship service. If this is the case, everybody from the pulpit to the back door need a shake-up call.... Ain't no celebrity on planet earth should have that much power to disrupt a TRUE worship service unto the Lord.

With that said:

I think Bey simply does not want to go to church anymore and she's using the whole fame/popularity thing as an EXCUSE. If she doesn't want to go to church anymore, fine. But don't blame the fans.

Celebs go to church and folk don't bother them and if they do, then those so-called fans are in church for the wrong reasons and 2) that pastor needs to put folk in check. THE LORD JESUS CHRIST went to synagogue EVERY SABBATH (St. Luke 4:16) so if Jesus did it, so can we, regardless of our "celebrity"....

At my church, we have waves of celebrities that come through... we have some sports celebs/legends that attend as well. Some folk are star-struck for a minute but then they get over it fast, esp. after regular attendance and a swift reminder from the pastor about WHO and WHAT the worship service is REALLY supposed to be about: JESUS CHRIST!

And a couple of posters have mentioned this as well: who you MARRY can have an influence on church attendance...esp. if the church attendance was sporadic or non-existent already....

Agreed. Sorta kind of celebs attend my church nd we pay them no mind. it just like everyone else in the congregation. If celebs attended on a constant basis it wouldnot be a big deal, or at least when ever they could. Just like when you are in college when you come home for fall, spring, Thanksgving, Christmas: You stop by the church.

Bey got enough money, she should build her own church :lol:

Back