Best Individuals YET!! (Pics)

• Thread starter Thread starter patient1
  • Start date Start date
P

patient1

I took a day off from the forum to put some individual extensions in. My goal is to keep them in until the end of the year.

1. I deep conditioned overnight with a mix.
2. I applied a leave in, detangled, and put my hair into big twists to dry about 75%.
3. As I braided, I spritzed each section then applied the hated brown protein gel. The gel is not my usual mode, but after seeing it on C&G I wanted to experiment. I must say that it kept my natural hair very neat without any heat.

4. I braided as close to the end as I could get. Rolled the very tips. Dipped in hot water. Released.

5. As is ALWAYS my practice, I oiled my scalp with a natural blend in a fine nozzled applicator. This prevents itchies from happening EVERY time and also makes my braids (that aren't tight) immediately flexible. I've thrown them up into a bun already.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2195/cat/500/ppuser/7466

PICS ARE IN THE LHCF gallery.

p1

p.s. I'm not doing crown&glory but I think she has some good info.

Last edited by a moderator:
You did a wonderful job. They look great.

I am eyeing the kinky weave. How did you do that. Did you sew wefted kinky weave hair on to the cornrows? Or is it a instant weave. Please tell! I like it.

Again your individuals look great. What will your regimen be?

Thanks for the compliment.

About the weave, that's a sew-in using wefts. The hardest part was securing her own cornrowed hiar before hand. Not to mention washing, deep conditioninig, detangling, and applying leave-in to all that hair BEFORE cornrowing.

I left the area in the front loose and only cornrowed the area from about the ears back. I cut the wefts to size for better placement. I soaked the thread in leave in before sewing it in securely but NOT tightly (I believe the two can coexist). I then cornbraided the front, and then took the ends of the braids and braided them across the top. We played with other things (bantuing the ends,etc) but she wanted to wear a headband anyway.

Friday I tightened up a few tracks and recornbraided the front. I took two tracks out of the back and replaced them with wefts she had left over. I gave her spritz and a scalp oil blend on the first visit and her hair looks shiny and healthy underneath. When I recornbraided her front there wasn't any breakage. I'm very pleased with the results and everyone else is too. One of her coworkers swiped the entire style. That's a great compliment!!

p1

ftballwidow said:
What will your regimen be?

I forgot to respond to this part.

I don't do crown and glory, but I do keep my own hair moisturized. I'll likely spritz my hair with either Daily Doctor and/or my own mix with glycerin/distilled water/rosemary/sage/lime essential oils, a little leave in and the kitchen sink. LOL!!!

I'll spritz A LOT!!!

I'll also take my bun down and oil in between the rows with either my own blend of oil (emu, hemp, jojoba, etc, etc. about 20 different oils plus essential oils) or I'll use some wgo diluted with olive oil.

This is a big no-no in the crown and glory method but it works for me. I think it's important to keep the roots lubricated when you're braided up.

I'll wash or rinse my hair when I think I needed. I'll run an acv rinse over my scalp at some point.

I'm also going to add a new spritz: distilled water and wood root tonic (which I usually drink but think would be excellent on the scalp.

These are the things that work for me. Since I do my own hair I'm always changing it up. I need to preserve some time and braids (when cared for properly) are a great way of doing that.

If you need any info on any style or anything else, just ask. I'm an open book...yep.

p1

Hi All,

Thanks for all the compliments. I've started braiding other folks hair lately as a side business because I enjoy it. However, as I'm braiding I tell my clients what I'm doing because I think that ANYONE can braid their own hair. And really, you're the best person to do it since you can feel the amount of tension being applied, etc. I really believe in deep conditioning ahead of time and applying a leave in before braiding. I can count on my hands how many times I've had extensions over the years but I can say that what I've done for myself has always trumped what I've paid lots of money for. I just lacked the the technique before. Once I got the technique, I just needed the practice. So I practiced on my head before I touched anyone elses. And when I'm caring for someone elses head (be it my daughters or a stranger) I do at least if not more of what I'd do for my own.

I'd encourage anyone to fire their stylist (even me :) ) and do it yourself.

p1

gorgeoushair said:
Nice braids. What kind of hair and rollers did you use?

I used Freetress SoftBraid Afrelle Kanekalon. To get the ends like that, I braided them into about 8-10 bunches and put the regular snap on rollers on the ends. I only wrapped the ends about twice. I put the hot water in a tall wide cup so that I can get far up the braided bunch so that they're set as far to the scalp as possible.

This is the best non-human hair for braiding as far as I'm concerned. It's long though. This is the length cut in half so you can imagine how long it would have been otherwise. The hair is soft, it's light, it's easy to work with, hardly tangles at all.

hth,
p1

Back