4b girls...how often do you relax

i'm fairly new to LHCF and I just "broke down" and made my appointment, but i'm proud to say that i stretched from 5 weeks to 7 weeks. i've been shampooing/conditioning 2x/week since my last retouch and i think i've developed a hair obsession and my cabinet is overloaded with stuff! am I a "pj?" (still learning the lingo)

i think i'm a 4b, but i've noticed a section at the nape of my neck where the hair swirls in a different pattern and the texture is much softer... (granted, it's ONLY a small section!) i am so impressed by those who are able to stretch it out to 10-12+ weeks, but i don't know how i'd do it until my hair grows out and i can pin it up...

i've noticed that if i wrap my hair well when it air dries, it's turning it fairly straight. maybe i'll be able to stretch a little bit longer next time, but i was beginning to worry about shedding. someone else mentioned "counting hairs" and i'm doing the EXACT same thing!!!

best,
AT

I'm 4a/more b and this is my first time stretching beyond 10 wks. Eight wks was the norm for me but when I think about it I probably didn't really need to just did it because that's what was suppose to be appropriate time. But for my first time stretching it's not that bad, the key is a good moisturizing poo and to deep cond. w/ every shampoo, I let my hair air dry in to platts after applying my leave-in cond and what ever else I feel my hair needs at the time. this is week 14 and 3days for me and I have sooo much NG :eek: , I can't wait to see the new length, ;) .

Yeah, i waited 15 weeks last time and it was a disaster trying to get all the new growth relaxed. several parts didn't even take the relaxer!! i used to wait only 6 wks. back in the day and i think i'll start doing it every 7 or 8 now, and no longer than that. it seems that the ones that are 4b who can wait long have real long hair, and once your hair nears it's maximum length it's slows down in growth so maybe since they don't have as mich new growth they can afford to wait longer to relax it.

I relax every 8-12weeks.

Basically no less than 8weeks. After that, it will depend on if I want to stretch or not:cool: .
I dont relax my hair bone straight so there is not too much of a difference between my relaxed hair and new growth. Im pretty sure if I wanted to stretch for 6months at a time it wouldnt be that hard.

Last edited:
With the help of regular and instant weaves, braid and twist outs, flat twists and frequent CO Washing, I am now stretching to 14 weeks. I used to be a retouch every 6 week girl for YEARS.

This is my first stretch of 14 weeks, next, will take on 16 weeks, I'll probably stop there though. But it would be great to only relax twice a year...:scratchch

I'm a mixture of 4a/4b. Going 7-8 weeks is good for me. I have gone 12-13 weeks but I don't really like going that far because my edges look crazy by then.

12 weeks has been my max although I am now going to cut down to 10 as I can't bear looking a mess anymore between weeks 10 and 12!

I deep con 2x per week and airdry. In the last weeks when things get really rough I roller set.

Its worked out great for me so far, my hair is the thickest and healthiest it has ever been in my life.

I will never go back to realaxing every 6 weeks like I used to.

Depends. If I am weaved up I relax after 4 months. Otherwise I relax anywhere from 10-12 weeks. I have gone as long as 16 weeks sans weave but I think 12 weeks is my limit. I think as my hair gets longer I will be able to stretch more. But for now I will keep it at 12.

I can go without a touch-up for quite a long time, 8 months, without significant breakage. Because my 4b hair doesn't have a lick of curl in it, the difference in texture is not that great, just wavier. I also rarely have my hair completely straightened so the line of demarcation is not that great. However, around 3 months (12 weeks) I definitely have a chore caring for the two textures and have to up the moisture ante; but again, it's not that bad because I have convex hair growth.

I think I will do 12 weeks max now. I think anything after 12 weeks is too much for my hair. I was experiencing way too much breakage. Oh well...you live and you learn!

10-12 weeks will be my new moto. :yep:

I relax every 13 weeks, even up to 16 weeks a couple of times. I keep my hair from breaking by keeping my newgrowth well moisturized (I wash and deep condition 2x per week), less manipulation towards the last few weeks and wearing my trusty satin scarf to keep my hair and newgrowth flattened and moisturized.

I use to realx every 6-8 weeks! Since the hair boards i've been stretching to 12 weeks. I really dont get any breakage b cuz i b up on that aphogee and emergencee mix:D My jungle growth gets hard to handle at 4 -5 weeks :lachen: After my next realxer , i'll think about every 10 weeks instead:grin:

I used to relax every 5-6 weeks, but since finding the boards, I stretch a minimum of 12 weeks. My current stretch is at 22 weeks and 5 days. I'll probably retouch in 3 weeks, 6 day which will be 26 weeks and 4 days! :)

I've stretched as long as 20 weeks, but find that the last couple of times its been optimal around week 12-14.

This time around it just crazy (I don't know where all this crazy growth came from) I relaxed last March 19, Its only April 28 and I've got an inch in most places on my head (I think spring has sprung y'all :lol: )

Maybe its that nasty fish oil I have to now take so I don't waste.

BTW, cherry flavored fish oil tastes just like it sounds....:barf:

-A

Back