Before it Sheds.......?

Silver

Does the hair start to thin before is sheds? I have been examining my shed hairs, and trying to stretch or snap them. I have noticed that they tend to be thinner for a few inches before the root. They are naturally shed hairs because I see the white bulbs. My hair has a mixture of thick strands and thin strands depending on the area, and some are mixed together. But I find two different thicknesses on one strand is weird. It worries me because the thin part snaps so much easier than the thick. I was not on medication, the only thing I have done is taken vitamins, used MN (stopped because didn't work for me), and used Doo Groo triple stength. I think I'm eating healthier because last year I ate McDonalds once a week. This thin strand thing worries me because it may be happening to all my hairs. Does anyone know if it happens to shed hairs or if something is up and changing my texture? Also to mention the thin part is much smoother.

Thanks

I don't know. I notice the same thing on my sheds, but I always assumed it was because the hair further from the root had more of a henna buildup on it, making it thicker.

Hrm. The idea that as the 'timer' for that strand/follicle dies down, the strand itself might not be as 'robust' as it used to be.

Interesting.

scientifically i'd say it's possible... before your hair is shed, first the bulb starts making fewer keratinocytes and the blood supply gets cut off... it eventually dies and then finally will shed.

but also you know, on our highly-textured hair the thickness of your strands aren't always uniform anyway. i wouldn't worry about it too much ;)

Thank you for your responses Justkiya and Ladylibra. I was worried because the shed hairs were so much weaker closer to the roots. I don't want all my hair to be breaking so easily. But the explanations seem good. As long as i'm not seeing easy breakage close to the roots of hairs still on my head I won't worry for now.

Back