Before I decide to go natural...HELP ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shellzfoshizzle

First off, I would like to say that I am tired of having thin, breaking, damaged, over-then-under processed hair. I am tired of getting relaxers too. I just want to be natural. I feel that it would be a challenge for me and I would be very happy with the results. I have been lurking the boards about tips and how-to's to transition and so forth, but I still have a few questions. I'd be very thankful if you ladies could share your expertise in helping me with this...

1. When transitioning, is that the same thing as just growing and stretching your relaxer out?
2. When stretching a relaxer...what does one do with all the breakage and shedding? What do you do with "the kitchen" or the raggedy edges?
3. When my roots start looking atrocious, can I flat iron them?

My goal is to grow out my relaxer and still have a healthy head of hair. Is this possible, cause I know at my 10th week post-relaxer, I can't do it anymore! Thats when I give in and get a relaxer but I am putting my foot down and I REFUSE TO PUT ANYMORE CHEMICALS UP IN HERE!!!!!!!!

I'd appreciate any help, support or comments.

THanks girls!

Hi shellz~

Just wanted to offer you a little support and encouragement about going natural. Relaxing was just a russian-roulette game for me too, I never knew if my hair was going to come out okay or not and once I'd get a stylist I could trust to do a good job, he/she would then up and move away or something...
And even in the best of circumstances I couldn't style my relaxed hair without using mega amounts of heat.
I didn't even try to transition so I can't offer you tips there, but I'm sure the transitioning ladies will pipe in with their suggestions soon. I wore a twa for about 6 or 7 months (til it grew out) and it was the best hair investment I ever made! Good Luck!

:wave:

Congrats on your decision :)

1. Yes, basically. When people say "stretching out relaxer" they usually do intend to continue relaxing, just not as frequently. Transitioning is just doing this indefinitely, and eventually cutting off the relaxed hair.

2. You learn how to minimize breakage and shedding. It's definitely a learning process because you won't know that something you normally do with your relaxed hair won't work for your natural hair. You kinda just find out the hard way :lol: There are, of course, some general guidelines. The most important thing during the transition is to reduce stress at the demarcation line. There are a few things that have been crucial for me to do this such as moisturizing often (which most people on lhcf do plenty of anyway, but you just want to make EXTRA sure your hair is moisturized), no unnecessary manipulation/high stress hairstyles, and minimizing the difference between your relaxed and natural hair--such as doing braidouts to add texture to the relaxed hair, or straightening the roots to match the ends more.

3. Certainly. I don't flat iron but that is definitely an option once the newgrowth really starts to get substantial. I wouldn't do it more than once a week, but people have different hair and some can take heat better. Instead of flatironing I just blow dry the roots straight. With the right technique and products, a good blow dry should at least last you through the week. Having said that I should point out that I therefore don't wash my hair more than once a week. I LIKE washing my hair more frequently, but I know it would be suicide to try to blow dry my hair 2 or more times in a week :eek:. And I'm at the point in my transition where airdrying is not a viable option unless I learn how to rollerset, and I don't have time for that right now.

Transitioning isn't easy at first, especially if you plan on doing it for a pretty long time (I do). But once you learn what works for your transitioning hair, you'll be comfortable in your routine and it won't seem so bad :)

Good luck!

what does one do with all the breakage and shedding? What do you do with "the kitchen" or the raggedy edges?

I can answer this one:

It shouldn't be breaking and shedding. Unless your relaxed hair is really weak and damaged... Or maybe you are too rough. Don't even TRY to comb your hair unless it's wet and drenched with a slippery conditioner. I lost a lot of hair letting my hair dry first and then trying to do something with it. :wallbash:

Wear low manipulation styles like buns, phony pony styles, twistouts, etc.

To keep your edges smooth just apply an alcohol free gel to damp edges and tie them down with a scarf for 15-20 minutes.

Don't fret, I've been natural for 6 years & loving it :) . My beautician says your hair is in a much healthier state when it doesn't have any chemicals in it.

Thanks ladies for the advice! BlackCardinal, good looking out, you typed a lot of information that is helpful to me in the beginning of my quest for healthy hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wearing Braids really helped me get through tranistioning. I took them out every five weeks though (to prevent breakage) and did alot of conditioning before putting them back in. Being able to wear braids was my saving grace for back then

shellz, i feel you. thats exactly what my hair was going through. i got a big cut and started over. but with short hair you cant look cute withoutsome kind of heat from a curling iron or something, so i was constantly getting split ends, and having to get it cut again. so i started keeping my hair done. it helps a lot! i can keep my hands out of my har while i watch it grow healthily! when it gets long enough, i will start wearing my natural hair, and wont have to use heat so often.

Back