Been Lurking...Newly Active Member

frankie

I've been lurking on this board since the summertime. But, I've been learning alot and thought I'd get even more help if I participated more.
smile.gif

A little about my hair...I would say I'm a 4ab type, relaxed. Had a short haircut for most of my life past the age of 13. I was the opposite of alot of girls, I liked short haircuts. But, now I'm looking for a change. Whenever I grew my hair out in the past it would start out beautiful, then I'd have so much breakage that I'd end up cutting it off again. Now that I found you guys, I have no excuse for not being able to grow longer healthy hair.

Right now the shortest hair in the back is about 1-1 1/2 inches. The longest in front is about 6-7 inches. It's layered Because I'm growing out a haircut that was really short in the back (shaved/tapered) and longer in the front for bangs.

For those of you who started growing your hair from a short haircut, what styles were most effective for keeping length? What did you do before your hair was long enough for a bun?
confused.gif

All ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

Hi Frankie~

OMG! Your story is so similiar to mine it's scary!
shocked.gif

I too have had short hair for most of my teenage years (due to scissor-happy stylists & improper care) & I'm growing it out now (and mine is layered also). My hair isn't bun length yet so I've been wearing my hair in a ponytail with the hair tucked into the ponytail holder (like a knot) That has worked well for me.
If your hair isn't long enough for a ponytail, jus keep it covered in a satin scarf or a hat with silk/satin linen while you go out, that way your hair will be protected from the wind.
I hope this helps!
wink.gif

God Made Me Pretty: Your daughter is too cute! Thanks for the welcome.

Mikki: Thanks for the tips, I just may need to seek out advice from time to time. But, sadly I can't even put my hair into a knot yet, the back wouldn't be able to stay in the ponytail holder. Sometimes when I'm being silly at home I'll put it in a ponytail...and walk around looking silly
weird.gif
...with that said, I'm nowhere near a ponytail yet
cool.gif

Hi Frankie,

Welcome! Mikki is right! I also started with hair that was too short for a bun, but I keep my hair cover when outside with hats, and wigs that were close to my hair length. I always kept it covered, with silk scarves. Then I realized after reading this board I could put some EVOO on and wear a plastic cap under my wig.
I work nights, so I would go home in the morning and do my co wash. I would then add my leave in, some EVOO braid it back up. cover with a scarf, and go to bed for the day. I have only been doing this for about 3 weeks, my son who is only eleven years old said to me today," Mom I am so glad you found the LHCF board I have seen your hair go from short to long.
(It's really not long, but to him it is.) I can now pull my hair up into a small bun! Because it's so cold outside and I need a touch up ( 11 weeks post perm), I will continue wearing like this until my next touch up Feb.16, 2004. I can just image the length after my touch up. I just want to Send a BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE on the LHCF! I love you all you such good advice! Oh, I also saved so much money, by doing my own hair.

Welcome again Frankie.

Welcome Frankie! I always try and wear a silk scarf when I'm outdoors too. And Kyla, how sweet that your son noticed.

[ QUOTE ]
soulchild said:
Welcome Frankie! I always try and wear a silk scarf when I'm outdoors too. And Kyla, how sweet that your son noticed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was sweet too.
smile.gif
Thanks soulchild.

Welcome frankie. Just continue doing research and find a regimen that will work for you and your hair will be long and flowing in no time.
smile.gif

Welcome Frankie,
wave.gif
girl this is the most comprehensive hair library you'll ever need....if it's on the shelf...we tried it, if it plugs in the wall...we've used it, if it changed color, made ya straight, curled ya up, slicked ya back....yeh, we did it! So whatever you need...believe me if you can't find it here...then girl you don't need it! Happy hair growing!
wink.gif

Welcome to LHCF, Frankie! We are here to help you. You sound a little bit like me when I started lurking on LHCF. My hair completely changed and I had to come out of lurker mode and join this wonderful board.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome...I've learned so much on this board and I look forward to learning even more. You ladies have gorgeous hair and I know you have a wealth of knowledge to share
grin.gif

Back