“beat The Heat” And “shelter The Cold” Thread

PlanetCybertron

I haven’t come across a thread dedicated to solely protecting the hair against the elements.

So I decided to make a thread that can share a collective of tips and pointers to help protect our hair against the heat, and against the bitter cold, and for anyone who wants to reference.

For the ladies who live up north or in places where it stays mainly cold, your tips are also greatly appreciated!

For the ladies near the Equator, or who live in the smothering Southern parts of the U.S. share any tips or suggestions to help beat the heat in 2018.

I’m pretty sure I’m not the first person to think of this, but it is something that popped into my head recently.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

I took a scarf (satin or silk), and wrapped my bun. Just the bun. (Wrap it in the motion as if you were forming one big Bantu knot) If I wrap my entire head, I will more than likely take it off to being too hot around my head and sweating more than I need to.

For the parts still exposed, I dampened with whatever moisturizer I have on hand, (Etsy bought homemade conditioner that’s been diluted) sealed with oil or butter of choice, including the hair that’s been wrapped up.

Today is the first day of testing this scarf bun thing out. So I’ll give feedback as to how it works.

I’m pretty sure I’ll enjoy it, and now I have a reason to go buy more colorful/ intricate satin pieces that can match whatever color I wear.

I live up Norf and I definitely say wear a silk scarf over your head when it’s cold outside. I don’t really like hats, but I’ll tie a scarf under my neck in a minute then put my hoods on. Now some people can get away with not wearing head coverings, but my ears are sensitive.

I live up Norf and I definitely say wear a silk scarf over your head when it’s cold outside. I don’t really like hats, but I’ll tie a scarf under my neck in a minute then put my hoods on. Now some people can get away with not wearing head coverings, but my ears are sensitive.

I flew up to Michigan once. Oh booooyyyy. I bought jackets suited for Texas weather. Nope. I needed to buy jackets up there suited for Michigan weather. I was absolutely paralyzed by the cold and the wind chill.

I didn’t know any better back then, to also cover my hair so my hair was dry and cold too lol. Definitely wear a scarf. I can’t pull of the pretty scarf styles like others, but I’ll wrap my hair and wear a beanie on top so hide how I’m fashionably challenged lol

I live in Michigan. I wear thick Satin lined hats in the winter. A scarf is not going to keep the January wind chill out. I also use heavier moisturizers and stay away from glycerin in the winter.

Do you guys have humidity during the windy/cold seasons? It gets cold in Texas here but it’s still humid, so it’s this wet, thick cold weather I dont even understand.

I live in Michigan. I wear thick Satin lined hats in the winter. A scarf is not going to keep the January wind chill out. I also use heavier moisturizers and stay away from glycerin in the winter.

Why do you avoid glycerin in the winter?

From what I understand Glycerin goes both ways during hot and cold weather. When the moisture levels surrounding your hair are low, but the moisture levels in your hair are higher, your hair will go through somewhat of an Osmosis effect where the moisture molecules of your hair will get pulled out by and through whatever permeable medium (in this case it’s glycerin) there is to match the moisture molecules or lacktherof of the surrounding environment.

Humidity tends to play a big role in whether or not glycerin works in some people’s hair. Generally speaking, folks who live in humid climates have success with glycerin because the more more moisture the surrounding environment has, the more the glycerin will suck in moisture to your hair.

Vice Versa if the environment is arid and dry, even if you live in colder or hotter weather.

For anyone who finds it useful, there are UV SPF 30 serums you can add to your moisturizers during the summer months.

I personally get sun damage where my ends get bleached into a yellow blonde color and inevitably break off.

It can be added to skin lotions, moisturizers, and sunscreens as well.

Here’s a very good quality one:
https://www.grandel.com/dr-grandel-specials/protection-uv-spf-30-serum
It’s very expensive, so I’ll save for this one.

But they have other cheaper brands at Walmart for 7-10$ as well.

@Daina

During the summer. moisture gets sucked from the air to your hair. During the winter, moisture gets sucked from your hair to the air, so glycerine is *best* avoided in winter simply to stop moisture being actively pulled from your hair.

* the dew point should also particularly be taken into consideration along with the humidity levels in winter.

@Daina

During the summer. moisture gets sucked from the air to your hair. During the winter, moisture gets sucked from your hair to the air, so glycerine is *best* avoided in winter simply to stop moisture being actively pulled from your hair.

* the dew point should also particularly be taken into consideration along with the humidity levels in winter.
From what I understand Glycerin goes both ways during hot and cold weather. When the moisture levels surrounding your hair are low, but the moisture levels in your hair are higher, your hair will go through somewhat of an Osmosis effect where the moisture molecules of your hair will get pulled out by and through whatever permeable medium (in this case it’s glycerin) there is to match the moisture molecules or lacktherof of the surrounding environment.

Humidity tends to play a big role in whether or not glycerin works in some people’s hair. Generally speaking, folks who live in humid climates have success with glycerin because the more more moisture the surrounding environment has, the more the glycerin will suck in moisture to your hair.

Vice Versa if the environment is arid and dry, even if you live in colder or hotter weather.

Thanks ladies!

I live in the north. I don’t wear anything on my head in the winter, just 180’s. I also do use glycerin and water mixtures :look: but I also heavy seal in the winter as well. This will be my first summer being consistent with glycerin, but if I follow my winter techniques, I’m hoping to be ok.

FWIW, I used to avoid glycerin during these seasons, but I gave up.

Heavy sealing helps me in the winter and using grease/butters (not together) have helped me in the summer.

I live in NYC we have seasonal temps. Cold winters that can range from cold to downright uncomfortable and Summers that have you air conditioner dependent for a comparatively short amount of time...we're lucky if we get 12 weeks of hot weather!
I use heavy butters and layer more products for my wash n goe's in the winter and fall. My styling process can include up to 4 layers of product in an effort to retain moisture in the cold months!
In the summer I might dabble in products that contain sunscreens and other protectants cause the sun seriously bleaches my hair! They don't seem helpful and my hair continues to get what I call a natural bleached red look which I used to eradicate with dye in my younger days...now I don't care. Lol!

I wonder how during the Jheri curl phase, people were able to retain length in the North by using glycerin based products heavily all year round.

Perhaps the chemical changed the hair structure to the point where it absorbed the glycerin better than if in its natural state? I have not yet received a definitive answer from hair professionals.

I wonder how during the Jheri curl phase, people were able to retain length in the North by using glycerin based products heavily all year round.

Perhaps the chemical changed the hair structure to the point where it absorbed the glycerin better than if in its natural state? I have not yet received a definitive answer from hair professionals.

Good point. Perhaps maybe the percent of Glycerin in their products would be something that’s to be considered. I honestly wouldn’t have the slightest clue what percentage of Glycerin is in shelf bought products.

And perhaps not everyone used Glycerin based products. Maybe some were water based mainly, or mineral oil based.

I will deep condition with a plastic wrap and then wear a headwrap. I make the headwrap super fashionable, the video below is of my favorite styles.

I’d love to see some of your outfits with them!

I need to observe other fashionable ladies because I have zero fashion sense lol

This will be my first full summer natural and this past winter was my first as a natural. My summer and winter routines are going to be similar. I shampoo daily with a gentle shampoo bar and slather on either a leave-in conditioner or a heavy regular conditioner and seal with castor oil pomade and activator. The only difference is that in the winter I will do more rollersets. I will rarely do rollersets in the summer because of the humidity.

Do you guys have humidity during the windy/cold seasons? It gets cold in Texas here but it’s still humid, so it’s this wet, thick cold weather I dont even understand.

It is dry cold, which is why I avoid glycerin. We get below zero at times. How cold does it get in Texas (just curious)?

This

It is dry cold, which is why I avoid glycerin. We get below zero at times. How cold does it get in Texas (just curious)?

Coldest it’s been since January was around 30 something degrees. Just cold enough for us to get a bit of snow. For like a day lol.

2016 it felt like we didn’t even have a winter. It didn’t drop below 65-70 degrees that entire winter season.

I use glycerine and water mix fine all year. It keeps my hair moisturized well. I deal with a butter, recently Shea butter.

I was just wondering about this the other day.

Back