Be Gald for your Necessary Evil - Parrt 2

Zeal

Bible Study:
v.7
This verse makes reference to the celebration of the Passover Feast. Rev. Carpenter refers us to the description of the original Passover Feast in Exodus. Before God executed the final plague on Egypt due to Pharaoh’s hardened heart, He instructed Moses to tell the Israelites to strike the 2 sides of their doorposts and the upper door post of their houses with the blood of a lamb. This would serve as a sign to Him that their first born sons were to be saved. (God would “Passover” these houses). God also instructed Moses to keep the rituals of this Feast each year (Exodus 12:3-14). (Rev. Carpenter also posits that the dripping blood probably formed a cross based on its positioning. A sign that Jesus would become our “Passover Lamb”.)

v.8-14
The disciples did and spoke as Jesus instructed them. When Jesus tells you to speak-say just what He tells you to say (v.11).

Rev. Carpenter challenged us-those who have been called by God to be “His spokespersons” to begin to do just what He has called you to do (according to His purpose).

Scripture tells us that Judas was with them-sitting down, right at the table (v.14). When your “necessary evil” is sitting at the table with you-don’t worry (be concerned but don’t worry), don’t attempt to handle it yourself or identify it, let God take care of it.

v.15-16
Jesus is telling the disciples that He must go and suffer (as our Passover Lamb).

Whenever we come to the Lord’s Supper (the communion table) we need to be sure that we “come right”. We need to strip ourselves of unforgiveness, strife and envy. Come in a non-judgmental (of others), humble manner. Conduct your own self-examination before partaking of the holy sacraments of communion (I Corinthians 11:23-33).

v.21
Even at this first Lord’s Supper Jesus knew that His “necessary evil” was sitting there at the table with Him. He also knew His “necessary evil” had no real communion with the God of the bread and the God of the cup. When we take communion we will not be able to recognize the ones in our midst representing a “necessary evil” unless the Holy Spirit reveals it to us. Jesus did not reveal His “necessary evil” to the disciples.

Whenever the Holy Spirit does reveal your “necessary evil” you will want to reveal it. (Rev. Carpenter says we know in our flesh we will want to “jump them” and do them bodily harm!) You will want to say something to them and to others. If you are “prayed up” the Holy Spirit will harness your tongue to prevent your revelation of it so that you will not block your blessings.

v.22
In a way that everyone at the table does not understand, Jesus is serving Judas notice that He knows he has to “do what he has to do” but in the end he will pay for it.
The other disciples began to examine themselves (“Lord, is it I?). Rev. Carpenter emphasizes here that many of us today in the church would instead be declaring “It’s not ME, Master!” They all asked the question instead. According to Rev. Carpenter this is in recognition that there is a little Judas in all of us. They knew they all had the capacity to betray Jesus.

v.23
Jesus did not reveal Judas because He knew that Judas was part of the plan in His journey to the cross. Sometimes we have to know our necessary evil and still go through some things. We must still press on with our journey to “our cross” knowing that Good Friday leads to Resurrection Sunday.
We have to learn to wait on God. It is a contradiction to stand in church and sing “I Surrender All” and yet not “surrender all” to Him in our lives. If we don’t stay “prayed up” (getting and staying spiritually strong) we will get distracted. We must learn to accept what God allows.
The disciples were examining themselves with a critical eye when they asked the question, “Lord, is it I?” This speaks to their character- their integrity (they did not point fingers at each other). Your character consists of who you are when no one is watching. Rev. Carpenter offers that mature Christians should not require an “overseer” to ensure that they are living their daily lives in a Christ-like manner.

v.24
Here the disciples leap from a position of integrity (“Lord, is it I?”) to “Who will be next to succeed Him?” Rev. Carpenter assures us we are familiar with this scenario in our churches. (As soon as the senior pastor becomes ill or is confronted with some difficulty there is secular=type political jockeying for his replacement instead of fasting and prayer about it.) When confronted with difficult situations many of us are so satisfied that “It ain’t me!” we don’t reach out to help the situation.

Especially in our churches Christians need to learn to express ourselves when offering (constructive) criticism in such a manner that we always express the love of God in our words, with our mannerisms and expressions.
For example when we recognize some shortcoming or failure in a ministry or auxiliary of the church don’t loudly announce it to everyone. See what you can do to pitch in and help! (Rev. Waller has suggested previously that when God allows you to see some failure in a person/leader, ministry or auxiliary He is allowing you to know that this is an area of work for you to apply your gifts to in the church.)

When we are guilty of criticism absent of any constructive remarks (or attempts to help) or destructive gossip we are guilty of “selling Jesus out” (betrayal) and becoming Judas.
Rev. Carpenter cautions us not to ever believe that once you join church things in your life will “get easy” or that “now there will be no problems”. Instead, when you are confronted with difficulties, obstacles and problems declare to Him, “Jesus, I want to learn the lesson from this the first time! Please do not let me have to repeat this lesson again.”

There are some necessary steps we must take to get where God wants us to be (His purpose for our lives). Jesus loved God so much that He knew what was going to happen to Him, He knew who was going to do it and He still offered Himself up as a living sacrifice-our Passover Lamb. He did it because He knew that it was also God’s plan for His life and for ours.

Know that in all of the evil you have ever had to endure and go through there was also your blessing. When God and the Holy Spirit show you your “necessary evil” don’t tell anyone. Tell Jesus (pray) about your evil. Don’t block your blessings.
Rev. Carpenter suggests that we adopt the attitude of the apostle Paul as we adopt a new attitude in dealing with the “necessary evil” in our lives-
“Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forth unto those things which are before.
I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God which is Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:13-14)

As we deal with our “necessary evil” learn to “press toward the mark”. Keep your eyes on the prize of Christ Jesus. Know that you and I can’t see around the corners of our lives but God sees it all. He laid out the plan for your life. Trust in Him.

Rev. Carpenter also suggests we learn lessons from the practices of the mother eagle. To prepare the eaglets for life in the world she will deliberately line the nest with pieces of glass. She does this so that the eaglets are “roughed up” enough for the world.

Then, in her mating process, she will throw an object from the nest (representing an eaglet or egg). If a prospective mate can’t catch it before it reaches the ground he is deemed ineligible!

The eagle rises above her circumstances. We must learn to rise above our circumstances. Be assured that somewhere down the road is victory. Hold on to Good Friday knowing that Resurrection Sunday follows it! Don’t worry about Judas. Focus on early Sunday morning.

Finally, if you pray, don’t worry. If you worry, don’t pray.

Back