Battle of the Co-Cleansers

loulou82

Hey ladies,

I want to add a co-wash/co-cleanse product to my regimen. I'm looking for something that will not strip my hair and will provide some slip or detangling properties. I'm hoping to stretch out my shampooing to every month and incorporate the co-cleanse weekly or bi weekly. So far I've narrowed down my choices to:

SSI Blueberry Cowash
As I am Coconut Cowash
SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Co-Wash

Any reviews or recommendations would be appreciated. :grin:

Some of My Favs In No Particular Order
Hairveda Amala Cleanse
Darcy Botanicals Daily Cleansing Conditioner
Curl Junkie Daily Fix
Claudie's Jojoba and Claudie's 3n1 Hair Cleansers
Hydroquench Systems Coconut & Lime Cleansing Conditioner
DevaCurl No Poo
As I Am Cleansing Pudding
SM Purification Hair Mask

*have SSI Blueberry haven't tried it yet, also Curls Cleansing Conditioner*

I love both the SSI Blueberry Cowash and the As I Am Cowash, and I use both regularly. Both get my hair clean, though they use different cleansing agents to do so. The SSI is more liquid, and the As I Am is creamier. I tend to lean towards the SSI if I'm washing my hair in twists because I'm afraid I won't be able to get all of the As I Am out. If my hair is extra dry, I tend to lean towards the As I Am because it is more moisturizing. SSI is moisturizing, but As I Am is more so.

I like the SM Purification Mask too and Curl Junkie daily fix. I have the Hairveda Amala, but I haven't tried it yet.

I love both the SSI Blueberry Cowash and the As I Am Cowash, and I use both regularly. Both get my hair clean, though they use different cleansing agents to do so. The SSI is more liquid, and the As I Am is creamier. I tend to lean towards the SSI if I'm washing my hair in twists because I'm afraid I won't be able to get all of the As I Am out. If my hair is extra dry, I tend to lean towards the As I Am because it is more moisturizing. SSI is moisturizing, but As I Am is more so.

I like the SM Purification Mask too and Curl Junkie daily fix. I have the Hairveda Amala, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thank you for this uofmpanther. I want to cowash my twists as well as my loose hair.

ETA: I see you have a couple of cleansing posts on your blog so I'll check those out too. :yep:

Last edited:
I recently bought Carol's Daughter Cleansing Conditioner (on a whim).:ohwell:

I hope I like it.:rolleyes:

It was 24oz's for about $22.00 (I think..maybe less).

Not wild about the scent. Not sure about the performance.:perplexed

When I get around to trying it, I'll report back in this thread.

ALSO....Bear Fruit Hair has some Amazing Cleansing Conditioners:lick:

Shea Moisture Cowash - not a bad product but the bottle is WAY too small if you're planning on detangling with it. Not particularly cost-effective. The bottle will be done in 3 or 4 washes - maybe even less depending on how dense/thick your hair is.

As I Am Coconut Cowash - I've read about people transferring the product from the jar to an empty bottle, as it's pretty runny. I find that the thinner consistency definitely aids in detangling and spreadability to really get the scalp clean. It also smells delicious.

NeutrLab Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner - I've only seen this at local beauty supply stores, so it can be a bit of a challenge to find. This also has a nice thin consistency (and it's in a bottle unlike the As I Am), but the scent is kind of cheap and synthetic like Palmers Cocoa Butter lotion.

I've also heard good things about the Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea Cowash. I might give it a go after my jar of As I Am is done.

Last edited:
As I Am Coconut CoWash
- Excellent cleansing without stripping
- Creamy, somewhat runny consistency
- No slip or detangling properties
- Provided very little moisture (until I added a gaggle of castor oil)
- The best co-cleanser I’ve ever encountered until I sampled the SSI

SSI Blueberry CoWash
- Excellent cleansing without stripping
- Light, creamy consistency
- An obscene amount of slip, making detangling a breeze
- Offered a nice amount of moisture without going over board

Shea Moisture CoWash
- Never tested due to its shea content

Thanks for all of the suggestions ladies. I'm down to 1 ounce of my Keracare shampoo (although I have some Design Essentials in my stash).

There are a lot of options that I hadn't considered. Decisions, Decisions...

EdenBodyWorks CoWash
-minimal suds but cleansing
-smells good
-hair feels clean and soft(love this stuff) I also transfer this into 2 8oz pump bottles

AsIAm
_low lathering action
-do not like the smell
-hair felt tighter and almost no moisture afterwards
_use to cowash my wigs (did not repurchase once I used it up)

When I first transitioned I used Suave conditioner it worked then but not so much now

_Shea Moisture Purification Mask
-smells good
-hair feels soft

Hey ladies,

I want to add a co-wash/co-cleanse product to my regimen. I'm looking for something that will not strip my hair and will provide some slip or detangling properties. I'm hoping to stretch out my shampooing to every month and incorporate the co-cleanse weekly or bi weekly. So far I've narrowed down my choices to:

SSI Blueberry Cowash
As I am Coconut Cowash
SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Co-Wash

Any reviews or recommendations would be appreciated. :grin:

loulou82 Of course I have all three in my position. :rolleyes:

SSI Blueberry Cowash: Very cleansing. It is not very moisturizing, but has a good amount of slip and is not stripping. Your hair will feel really clean. It is the same consistency as the Cococream leave in, transluscent, and on the thin side. It smells very good, just like blueberries. This lathers a tiny bit as well.

As I Am Coconut Cowash: I love the scent. It is like a thin pudding consistency. This cleans well and doesn't strip. It has very slight slip as well and slight lather.

As I Am Cleansing Pudding: This is actually more of a shampoo in a jar, but I like it. It cleans very, very well. Does not strip the hair. Smells good.

Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Co-wash: I really like this one. Smells the same as the Curl Enhancing Smoothie (which I love). It is the same consistency as lotion/cream. When you are putting this on, it doesn't feel like it is doing much of anything, but when you are done, your hair will be clean as long as you scrub your scalp. It is not stripping at all. In fact, it adds some moisture to your hair. Your hair will be soft and fluffy after use. Has no lather.

Some others I have/had:
Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse: Light citrus scent. Thin consistency, but not watery. This cleans very well and has a good amount of slip as well. No lather.

Keravada Kera10 Cocleanser: The scent can be overpowering. It does not smell like the advertised Vanilla Cream. It is almost menthol like. This packs a huge moisture punch. Your hair will feel like it was washed with a silicone conditioner upon rinsing. It cleans well too. Only con is it is expensive at around 16 bucks for 8 oz. Oh, and the scent. This has a slight lather.

Naturelle Grow Lemon Detox: It is very similar to the Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse. Smells like lemon, cleans very well, is thin in consistency, and has decent slip. No lather.

Last edited:
AsIAm
_low lathering action
-do not like the smell
-hair felt tighter and almost no moisture afterwards
_use to cowash my wigs (did not repurchase once I used it up)

@Hibiscus30

I Agree. I didn't care for the As I Am Coconut Cowash at all.:nono:

The As I Am Cleansing Pudding is great. And removes buildup and heavy product usage.

IDareT'sHair

I usually use everything I have on my niece's hair (her texture is 3c 4a/b) usually if my hair isn't feeling a product her hair likes it. But not so much with As I Am cowash.

I may try the pudding at some point...we are trying to use up shampoos, conditioners, & co cleansers (at least that's my goal for the rest of this yr)

@Hibiscus30

I didn't care for it at all compared to other Cleansing Conditioners on the market.

IMO compared to 'others' out there it's below average.

But.....I used it when the Line first Launched and bought it directly from the As I Am web-site (before mass production).:look:

Maybe it has been reformulated since I tried it.:look:

I'd like to try Camille Rose's Cleansing Conditioners. My only CON is that they are only 8oz's.:sad:

The best I've tried is the Eden Bodyworks Cowash. It's very cleansing. Incredibly moisturizing. Smells awesome and you only need a bit because when you add water to your hair it expands.

As I Am Coconut Cowash - I've read about people transferring the product from the jar to an empty bottle, as it's pretty runny. I find that the thinner consistency definitely aids in detangling and spreadability to really get the scalp clean. It also smells delicious.

I forgot to mention this. The jar is one downside to the As I Am. Water used to get in mine whenever I used it. After seeing someone else do it on YouTube, I bought a cheap, wide mouth applicator bottle from Sally's. Problem solved. That is what is in the applicator bottle in my blog picture on cleansing agents.

I am in love with the Aphogee Curlific Texture Wash. This is best stuff...EVA. It is rich and creamy, and has AWESOME slip. Combing through my hair with this is beyond a breeze. I cannot sing it praises enough. You can get it at Sallys :)

The best cowash I ever tried was Curl Junkies Daily Fix

My least favorites were Ouidad Curl Cowash and Pantenes Cowash Cleansing Conditioner, Jane Carters Creamy Cleansing Conditioner, Loreal Evercurl Cleansing Conditioner , and Naturelle Grow Marshmallow Blue Malva conditioner.

I do like As I Ams Coconut Cowash, Renpures Sweet Pomegranate , Nature by Designs Curl Magic and Pumpkin Cowash

I have a few in my stash I haven't gotten to yet. Honeychiles, and Aphogee Texture Wash

Back