Bantu (lye) relaxer users...

Purtygurly

I'm thinking of using this relaxer for my next touchup.

I have EXTREMELY resistant hair. Nothing that a stylist has used, or I have used has gotten my hair straight (affirm, motions with oil, revlon realistic, african pride... others that I can't remeber). I don't really want it bone straight, but I would like it to at least be 85-90% straight. Alos I don't know exactctly what my hair type is, I've assumed that it's 4a, but it doesn't behave like 4a. It doesn't look quite like 3c either... maybe they should make a a hair type called 3d just for me
smile.gif

What strength should I use? Regualar? Or should I use ::GulP:: super?

I think regular would be ok. I used to use Bantu. It worked really well for me. I have tried super and it made my hair bone straight.

When I was relaxed, I used Bantu reg., it got my hair pretty straight from what I remember!

i've been using mild for years. my first dominican stylist used it back in '97. anyway, i don't leave it in long at all & haven't had my hair bone straight in years. I'd suggest you use regular if you're going to use it.
Is your hair 4a & very thick? My sister is 4a-b & she finally found the perm for her which she's been using for 3 years. I can get the name of it if you like.

I had a Bantu perm done at the salon, but I don't know what strength they used and if it was no-lye or lye. They didn't base my scalp, so I think they used their No-base formula. The perm took perfectly, and I'd been battling underprocessed hair before that.
smile.gif

My new stylist has been using Bantu mild on me for the past 2 touch-ups. I have 4 a/b fine hair. The first touch-up got me bone straight. Then I started using MSM, so when I went for my second touch-up I had a lot of corkscrew new growth. The mild did not get it straight.

[ QUOTE ]
blaxalrose said:
I hated Bantu. I didn't get my hair straight enough for me. I like the results from Affirm, Mizani, etc. better than Bantu. And IMO Bantu isn't a conditioning perm.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm switching back to Affirm for my next relaxer, too.

Back