Baggie Question.....protein or moisturizer

princessdi

I think this has been asked before, but I can't find the prior post. When you baggie, do you apply a protein-based product on your hair and then seal or do you just apply a moisture-based product on your hair and seal?

I baggie my ponytail everyday, but it seems to be coming out when I touch the ends. I'm wondering if I should use a protein-based product on my hair prior to baggying to strengthen the hair that is covered.

Any suggestions? What product do you use when baggying and can anyone tell me what the benefits are to baggying? Is it to keep the hair moist which will cut down on breakage?

It all depends on your hair and what it needs. My hair seems to prefer a light protein daily moisturizer, so I use that - Africa's Best Carrot Oil Cream. Apply a very small amount of your moisturizer and oil to your hair. Too much moisturizer + baggy can leave your hair overmoisturized and soft (which leads to breakage).

Oh, and baggying is supposed to keep your hair from drying out, as you said. Baggying your entire head also acts as sort of a steam treatment for your hair. I think the extra heat may help stimulate scalp activity (growth) too, but I'm not 100% sure.

That might be one option. Or you could allow your hair to dry occassionally before putting baggie on. I know that the whole baggy thing started with Adrienne and I think she just used vaseline or grease maybe and a bit of s-curl. I find that I have to let mine dry a little instead of keeping it wet all the time. Good look.

princessdi said:
I think this has been asked before, but I can't find the prior post. When you baggie, do you apply a protein-based product on your hair and then seal or do you just apply a moisture-based product on your hair and seal?

I baggie my ponytail everyday, but it seems to be coming out when I touch the ends. I'm wondering if I should use a protein-based product on my hair prior to baggying to strengthen the hair that is covered.
Any suggestions? What product do you use when baggying and can anyone tell me what the benefits are to baggying? Is it to keep the hair moist which will cut down on breakage?

you should try profective healthy ends or elasta qp mango butter and then seal your ends with kemi oyl, black castor oil (my new favorite), coconut oil,etc...but I say try profective healthy ends and then seal with castor oil or bco.HTH Ooohhh...my ends are never dry, I always keep my ends baggied 24/7 but I know some ladies can't do that but try using what I meantioned and see how it goes;)

ETA: If you deep condition your hair weekly, rotating between a moisturizing conditioner and a light protein treatment, you should be fine or if you wash your hair every 3 days, you can rotate between a moisturizing conditioner and light protein treatment.

Example For Weekly Wash and Deep Condition:

Week 1- Wash hair with CON (green bottle), deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner, rinse, apply leave in(Giovanni Direct), apply profective healthy ends and then seal with oil, and baggie.

Week 2-Wash hair with Aubrey Organics GPB shampoo, deep condition with Aubrey Organics GPB hair nutrient, rinse, apply leave in, apply elasta qp mango butter and then seal with oil and baggie. REPEAT this cycle until you relax but you can alternate between different protein treatment, moisturizing conditioners, leave ins, etc...just make sure each week you're rotating between a moisturizing conditioner and a light protein conditioner to balance the moisture/protein level.

Example for Washing and or Deep Conditioning every 3 days:

Day 1-Wash with Keracare hydrating detangling shampoo, deep condition with keracare humecto, rinse, apply leave in, apply profective healthy ends or mango butter to ends, seal with oil baggie. NOTE I have profective healthy ends to the last 2 or 3 inches of my hair.

Day 3-Wash with light protein shampoo, deep condition with light protein treatment, rinse, apply leave in,apply profective healthy ends or mango to ends and seal with oil. REPEAT this cycle until you relax.

These are just examples and you don't have to use the products that I mention. I have about 3 or 4 shampoos, moisturizing conditioners, protein treatments, leave ins, etc , that I use myself and they're all my staples. HTH

Last edited:
Thanks ladies. This all makes perfect sense.

Tsmith- I deep condition every three days and have been rotating between the protein and the moisture and it really seems to be improving my hair.

I think when I baggie, I over moisturize. I have been applying a wet moisturizing leave-in to my ends and then sealing. It is really wet prior to baggying and it stays that way. It's probably too much moisture.

I'll try letting my hair dry out and then applying either the Profectiv healthy ends to my hair or the carrot creme (I like them both). Maybe not getting my hair so wet will improve my problem.

princessdi said:

Princessid~I've been having this problem as well. I stopped making ponytails and just began twisting and tucking my ends. The problem has ceased some. This happens after I wash also. :(

tsmith said:
you should try profective healthy ends or elasta qp mango butter and then seal your ends with kemi oyl, black castor oil (my new favorite), coconut oil,etc...but I say try profective healthy ends and then seal with castor oil or bco.HTH Ooohhh...my ends are never dry, I always keep my ends baggied 24/7 but I know some ladies can't do that but try using what I meantioned and see how it goes;)

ETA: If you deep condition your hair weekly, rotating between a moisturizing conditioner and a light protein treatment, you should be fine or if you wash your hair every 3 days, you can rotate between a moisturizing conditioner and light protein treatment.

Example For Weekly Wash and Deep Condition:

Week 1- Wash hair with CON (green bottle), deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner, rinse, apply leave in(Giovanni Direct), apply profective healthy ends and then seal with oil, and baggie.

Week 2-Wash hair with Aubrey Organics GPB shampoo, deep condition with Aubrey Organics GPB hair nutrient, rinse, apply leave in, apply elasta qp mango butter and then seal with oil and baggie. REPEAT this cycle until you relax but you can alternate between different protein treatment, moisturizing conditioners, leave ins, etc...just make sure each week you're rotating between a moisturizing conditioner and a light protein conditioner to balance the moisture/protein level.

Example for Washing and or Deep Conditioning every 3 days:

Day 1-Wash with Keracare hydrating detangling shampoo, deep condition with keracare humecto, rinse, apply leave in, apply profective healthy ends or mango butter to ends, seal with oil baggie. NOTE I have profective healthy ends to the last 2 or 3 inches of my hair.

Day 3-Wash with light protein shampoo, deep condition with light protein treatment, rinse, apply leave in,apply profective healthy ends or mango to ends and seal with oil. REPEAT this cycle until you relax.

These are just examples and you don't have to use the products that I mention. I have about 3 or 4 shampoos, moisturizing conditioners, protein treatments, leave ins, etc , that I use myself and they're all my staples. HTH

tsmith~Are these products considered protein or moisture based?

amwcah said:
tsmith~Are these products considered protein or moisture based?

Giovanni Direct is a light protein, Aubrey Organics GPB is a moderate-heavy protein (but doesn't last as long as Emergencee or Aphogee), and the Keracare products she mentioned are moisturizing.

HTH!:)

preciousjewel76 said:
Giovanni Direct is a light protein, Aubrey Organics GPB is a moderate-heavy protein (but doesn't last as long as Emergencee or Aphogee), and the Keracare products she mentioned are moisturizing.

HTH!:)

Thanks preciousjewel76!:)

princessdi said:
Thanks ladies. This all makes perfect sense.

Tsmith- I deep condition every three days and have been rotating between the protein and the moisture and it really seems to be improving my hair.

I think when I baggie, I over moisturize. I have been applying a wet moisturizing leave-in to my ends and then sealing. It is really wet prior to baggying and it stays that way. It's probably too much moisture.

I'll try letting my hair dry out and then applying either the Profectiv healthy ends to my hair or the carrot creme (I like them both). Maybe not getting my hair so wet will improve my problem.

My hair is wet also when I baggie try using the products I suggested then let me know how it works out;)

Back