Bad Salon Experience (rant)

Caychica

My first trip to this specific salon.
I'm currently transitioning & I was going to use BohBraz for my weave
but HairSisters is taking too long with the order. So I figured I'd use str8 hair
(temporarily) cause I needed my hair done badly.

When I got to the salon the owner was so nice until she found out I did NOT
want to relax my hair....she was in shock. I told her I hadn't relax my hair in months
& I'm nvr getting it relaxed again. She wanted to know how I expected to blend my hair with str8 weave
& I told her it looks relaxed when u blow dry/flat iron. She got even more upset.....

Then started making a big deal about the conditioner I had in my hair.
I didnt have time to wash it out before I left home.
She was rambling on about it's way too much product to color with.
WASH it out then put in the color duh. :look:

The icing on the cake.....
she thinks I should do a BKT, which I am considering.
So I asked her if my hair will go back curly after a while. Just to c what she'd say.
She said no, because for my kinda hair I HAVE to relax it first and then do a BKT. Huh???:ohwell:

Its soo much things she did & said that made me realize i dont want her touching my hairr ever again.
The entire time i was there she gave me attitude.& complained about how thick my hair was
(she is relaxed&bkt, has no edges & has in extensions that dnt match her hair----i should have ran then)

OOh & btw, she doesnt even do the sew-in altho she made such a big deal about blending.
She did the color & she cut the hair after it was put in. Another woman did the actual weave.
That woman on the other hand was nice.

I had the urge to tell her go to LHCF!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Here are pics of the end result & my "too thick afro hair" the night before.

SAM_0003-1.jpg

looks like it blends....

SAM_0017-1-1.gif

Night before, about to wash....
might i add, i will NEVER use Ion Clarifying shampoo again :sad: my hair felt like crap.

IMG_2606-1.jpg
IMG_2595-1.jpg

Oh honey... you're good. I'm sorry for your bad experience but she gave you all of the warning signs upfront... I would have politely taken my weave and hightailed it right on up out of there. I understand that you wanted your hair done, but to deal with someone like that who is suppose to be a professional...toosh... I would have spoke my mind........

I hope you find another stylist that can do your next weave. Hopefully one who understands that you're transitioning....

Better luck next time dear....

Looks blended to me!!! :rolleyes: :lachen:

Lazy lady!!!!

OT- This experience is what I fear most with transitioning- Not being able to find a stylist to do my hair because they are too lazy...When I am totally natural I plan to become a straight natural..aka Oprah- wash, deep condition and blow dry flat iron weekly.

I feel like you should have ran in the other direction with someone talkin all that mess:nono: Sorry you had to go thru that hun!:hug3:

I hope you find a salon that embraces you and your decision to go natural fully:yep:

What's her obsession with getting your hair straigtened? AND she suggested that you relax before you BKT?? Umm ok...where are the hills? I need to be heading for them.

hey fellow miamian, this is the main reason why I'm scared to go to a salon to get my hair done. I've just learned to do everything myself. Sorry about your bad experience, the stylist was probably just mad cuz she didn't have any edges. lol!

I've also tried that ion clarifying crap and hated it, my hair was a dry puffy mess.

I don't understand how trained stylists engage in so many counter productive and harmful practices.

Whenever, I'm doing 4 moth stretches, I get speeches on how all my hair will fall out if I don't relax.

You hair is gorgeous, you're obviously doing something right.

I swear LHCF needs to start a beauty school.

I am rollin' with what everyone said...there is no reason for you to be disrespected and may to feel uncomfortable - especially when you are paying for a service!!!

OT - Your hair is gorgeous...

Oh honey... you're good. I'm sorry for your bad experience but she gave you all of the warning signs upfront... I would have politely taken my weave and hightailed it right on up out of there. I understand that you wanted your hair done, but to deal with someone like that who is suppose to be a professional...toosh... I would have spoke my mind........

I hope you find another stylist that can do your next weave. Hopefully one who understands that you're transitioning....

Better luck next time dear....

LOL I thought about leaving too but I didnt bother. & next time (hopefully there's not one) I wont put up with it.

Looks blended to me!!! :rolleyes: :lachen:

Lazy lady!!!!

OT- This experience is what I fear most with transitioning- Not being able to find a stylist to do my hair because they are too lazy...When I am totally natural I plan to become a straight natural..aka Oprah- wash, deep condition and blow dry flat iron weekly.
lol I want to be a straight natural too because I cant manage my hair... & I wont need a stylist cause I can blow dry/flat iron all by myself. hmph lol

I feel like you should have ran in the other direction with someone talkin all that mess:nono: Sorry you had to go thru that hun!:hug3:

I hope you find a salon that embraces you and your decision to go natural fully:yep:
Yep, I should have. But thank you, I hope I find one too.

Whether or not you ever decide to go natural, NEVER tolerate such behavior again. After all, you're PAYING her, right?

Beauticians w/ attitudes like that will try to destroy your hair as sure as ten dimes make a dollar!
That's what I was thinking.....I'M paying HER so whats the big deal?! It's so sad though, if I was a stylist making sure my client's hair was healthy would be #1 priority.

that stylist sounded super judgmental

She seemed that way.

What's her obsession with getting your hair straigtened? AND she suggested that you relax before you BKT?? Umm ok...where are the hills? I need to be heading for them.

Lol I have no idea! I guess she's obsessed with str8 hair.:rolleyes:

I'd want to smash her face in.

:yep: LOL

hey fellow miamian, this is the main reason why I'm scared to go to a salon to get my hair done. I've just learned to do everything myself. Sorry about your bad experience, the stylist was probably just mad cuz she didn't have any edges. lol!

I've also tried that ion clarifying crap and hated it, my hair was a dry puffy mess.

:lachen:@ the no edges. I got that same feeling especially when the other woman was in awe by my hair & she kept saying it's really thick n pretty. If only i could do sew-ins by myself!!

I don't understand how trained stylists engage in so many counter productive and harmful practices.

Whenever, I'm doing 4 moth stretches, I get speeches on how all my hair will fall out if I don't relax.

Lol thank you, & amen to LHCF beauty school.

I am rollin' with what everyone said...there is no reason for you to be disrespected and may to feel uncomfortable - especially when you are paying for a service!!!

OT - Your hair is gorgeous...

Thanks =)

I ave never been to a hair salon to get my hair done in my life and after reading so many complaints from the ladies who have gone to stylists and have their hair jacked up I will continue to never go to a salon

I ave never been to a hair salon to get my hair done in my life and after reading so many complaints from the ladies who have gone to stylists and have their hair jacked up I will continue to never go to a salon

WOW, i would nvr b able to count how many times I been to a salon! But if I had stuck with doing my hair by myself from the beginning...I wouldnt be in this position lol Kudos to u :yep:

Caychica If you wanna be a straight natural, try the Dominicans or Ethiopians if you have them in your area. LOL...I don't think they'll try to sneak a relaxer on you (I'm just a tad paranoid), but I'd check around here and other hair sites for reviews of salons. They DO seem to know how to handle natural hair, if they are inclined and you'll probably come up cheaper in the end.

If you want an AA salon, there are good ones out there, I know....but much of it is about an individual stylist at said salon. However, if you go to those w/ 'tudes about long hair, you can end up w/ jacked short hair. I've seen it happen too many times. I'm not kidding when I say you can have beautiful long hair and end up broken off and fried.

You got off easily this time.

Thank you! I think we do have some Dominicans around here.
:lachen:@ sneaking a relaxer on my hair :look: "whats that? Let me smell it first!!"

Okay, i'm scared now. lol
Def staying away from stylists with grudges.

Thank you! I think we do have some Dominicans around here.
:lachen:@ sneaking a relaxer on my hair :look: "whats that? Let me smell it first!!"

Okay, i'm scared now. lol
Def staying away from stylists with grudges.

Not that I think the salon I frequent is crazy enough to slip anything in my hair, but I bring my own deep conditioner every time I go to the salon. I only go like twice a year anyway, but I bring my own heat protectant, deep conditioner, and brush to detangle my hair. They look at me like this :ohwell: even though I've known the owner for almost 10 years LOL don't play with me! :rolleyes: :grin:

BTW don't go back to somebody like that again. You're lucky you came out with hair still on your head. Just the fact that she said to relax and then BKT is a big red flag. I say start becoming a DIY'er and flatiron your transitioning hair. Trust me I know it isn't easy, I bc'd two years ago but still have nightmares about transitioning LOL

I'm so sorry that it happened to you! I am transitioning too and believe me I know how you feel. I've gone to two salons since I've started and they both had attitudes about me not getting a relaxer. I feel your pain girl!

I'm sorry that you experienced that. That's why I've opted to do my own hair and haven't been to a salon in over two years. Too many times I've walked in, TRUSTED that the beautician KNEW what was BEST for my hair, and walked out with limp chopped off hair! No more!

My entire life I've only had two beauticians whose knowledge and skills helped me achieve healthy beautiful hair - One in NC and the closest one lives in Naples. If you want to cross Alligator Alley I'll give you her contact info. I would still visit her salon if Naples wasn't so far away. Your hair turned out nice BTW. Just don't patron that salon anymore.

My sentiments exactly.

Not that I think the salon I frequent is crazy enough to slip anything in my hair, but I bring my own deep conditioner every time I go to the salon. I only go like twice a year anyway, but I bring my own heat protectant, deep conditioner, and brush to detangle my hair. They look at me like this :ohwell: even though I've known the owner for almost 10 years LOL don't play with me! :rolleyes: :grin:

BTW don't go back to somebody like that again. You're lucky you came out with hair still on your head. Just the fact that she said to relax and then BKT is a big red flag. I say start becoming a DIY'er and flatiron your transitioning hair. Trust me I know it isn't easy, I bc'd two years ago but still have nightmares about transitioning LOL

:lachen:omgsh. I think I'm gonna start taking my own products too! (If I dont become a DIYer. Which I most likely am!) & I'm never going back to another person like that....ever.

I'm so sorry that it happened to you! I am transitioning too and believe me I know how you feel. I've gone to two salons since I've started and they both had attitudes about me not getting a relaxer. I feel your pain girl!

:yep: Well I hope u find a good salon.

I'm sorry that you experienced that. That's why I've opted to do my own hair and haven't been to a salon in over two years. Too many times I've walked in, TRUSTED that the beautician KNEW what was BEST for my hair, and walked out with limp chopped off hair! No more!

My entire life I've only had two beauticians whose knowledge and skills helped me achieve healthy beautiful hair - One in NC and the closest one lives in Naples. If you want to cross Alligator Alley I'll give you her contact info. I would still visit her salon if Naples wasn't so far away. Your hair turned out nice BTW. Just don't patron that salon anymore.

I know what u mean. From relaxers not being washed out properly to trims taking me from full shoulder length to ear length:nono: That was when I didnt know anything about hair & trusted all salons. The only stylist that ever knew how to take care of my hair moved away :sad:

But thank you. & I will be sure nvr to go back there:rolleyes:

(she is relaxed&bkt, has no edges & has in extensions that dnt match her hair----i should have ran then)

:nono: Honey you know that you knew better! Never let anyone in your head that doesn't have hair that is as healthy as you ASPIRE for your hair to be. And why on earth would you pay good money to be insulted? You don't deserve to have your hair talked about by anyone who is taking your money to provide you with a service. If she didn't like it then she had two options (1) to charge you additional for the service or (2) decline to provide the service. Please don't let that woman back in your head....it's just asking for trouble and you know that you don't wanna end up looking like her hair twin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:nono: Honey you know that you knew better! Never let anyone in your head that doesn't have hair that is as healthy as you ASPIRE for your hair to be. And why on earth would you pay good money to be insulted? You don't deserve to have your hair talked about by anyone who is taking your money to provide you with a service. If she didn't like it then she had two options (1) to charge you additional for the service or (2) decline to provide the service. Please don't let that woman back in your head....it's just asking for trouble and you know that you don't wanna end up looking like her hair twin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are sooo right. I did know better, i should've went somewhere else:wallbash:

& HELL NO, i would nvr wanna b her hair twin:nono2: Lol

it's all good, thank goodness she didn't do your install...she probably would've pulled your hair too tight out of spite....I know she was probably hating on the health of your hair and secretly envious of your edges rotf lmao

Honestly i do not understand how when you talk to a hair dresser and she is being all negative that you do not get up and leave.
C'mon now you are paying her!!! It's not a free service you are receiving.

I don't get why you let someone talk you down when you are giving them business then turn around and come vent. You should have told her off politely that you are customer and she should do what is RIGHT by you.

If she is not doing what you want her to do or talking you down... LEAVE!!
Go home and compose yourself. Do your hair in the mean-time while searching for a different salon.

I have never experienced this type of behaviour from hairdressers not here or abroad.

it's all good, thank goodness she didn't do your install...she probably would've pulled your hair too tight out of spite....I know she was probably hating on the health of your hair and secretly envious of your edges rotf lmao

LOL :yep:

Honestly i do not understand how when you talk to a hair dresser and she is being all negative that you do not get up and leave.
C'mon now you are paying her!!! It's not a free service you are receiving.

I don't get why you let someone talk you down when you are giving them business then turn around and come vent. You should have told her off politely that you are customer and she should do what is RIGHT by you.

If she is not doing what you want her to do or talking you down... LEAVE!!
Go home and compose yourself. Do your hair in the mean-time while searching for a different salon.

I have never experienced this type of behaviour from hairdressers not here or abroad.

Because thats just how I am. Relatively quiet, I have a lot of patience & i just basically ignored her. I just wanted to share my experience so I vented.................

Next time (if there ever is one) I will leave. & this is the first time I ever had to deal with that kind of behavior. :ohwell:

I'm sorry you had a bad experience Caychica, but I'm glad it didn't turn out worse. Like the poster Anita said above, doing your own hair seems to be the best way to handle your hair journey. I have a really good friend/stylist who I fired from doing my hair, simply becuase she doesn't understand my texlaxed hair that she views as being damaged. I'm also quiet by nature, but I don't have the patience any longer to listen to someone complain and negatively criticize what I'm doing with my hair. And at the end of the day, the proof is in the pudding: as long as I went to stylists and followed their trim regimens, I never got past SL/APL. By trusting myself and trying "unconventional" LHCF methods, I'm quickly approaching WL, a definite first for me.

Oh no. I had a stylist that tried similar nonsense with me and I just picked up my hair and told her I was leaving. She had this shocked expression on her face and I told her simply "I'm not paying you to insult my hair and waste my time. I have places to be and you have hair to do." That was it. I've never gone back to her and apparently the owner had to kick her out of the salon because customers were complaining and she stopped getting clients.

Just remember to stick up for yourself, but at the end of the day YOUR hair is BEAUTIFUL! :)

I'm sorry you had a bad experience Caychica, but I'm glad it didn't turn out worse. Like the poster Anita said above, doing your own hair seems to be the best way to handle your hair journey. I have a really good friend/stylist who I fired from doing my hair, simply becuase she doesn't understand my texlaxed hair that she views as being damaged. I'm also quiet by nature, but I don't have the patience any longer to listen to someone complain and negatively criticize what I'm doing with my hair. And at the end of the day, the proof is in the pudding: as long as I went to stylists and followed their trim regimens, I never got past SL/APL. By trusting myself and trying "unconventional" LHCF methods, I'm quickly approaching WL, a definite first for me.

Yeah it does seem like the only option. Thankfully my hair is growing so I will make buns my new friend. I know what u mean & it does get discouraging when someone keeps talking like that...

but congrats on all ur length. I cant wait until i get there!! :grin:

Oh no. I had a stylist that tried similar nonsense with me and I just picked up my hair and told her I was leaving. She had this shocked expression on her face and I told her simply "I'm not paying you to insult my hair and waste my time. I have places to be and you have hair to do." That was it. I've never gone back to her and apparently the owner had to kick her out of the salon because customers were complaining and she stopped getting clients.

Just remember to stick up for yourself, but at the end of the day YOUR hair is BEAUTIFUL! :)

:yep:
lol that's exactly what i should have said! I need to speak up...:hammer:

Back