Bad Relaxer Yesterday

Pinkicey

I has my usual stylist relax my hair yesterday after 12 weeks post. I based my hair with my oil mix of coconut, olive, avocado, emu, and Jamaican black castor oil because I don't feel like she bases enough sometimes. My relaxer did not feel like it was burning so much like it was damaging, and when she rinsed it out it didn't hurt. The problem was when she washed my hair she used her nails in my scalp. Now, she has always done this I'm sure, but before I started trying to take care of my hair I never noticed. Anyways, this makes no sense to me because relaxers already make the scalp tender. This morning I put my hands through my head and the left side has 2 dried up blood spots. I've always had blood spots before and she's been relaxing my hair for 7 years. I am wondering if the scars have been from her nails instead of the relaxer this whole time. I also wonder if it could have contributed to my seborrheic dermatitis. Hmmm

That's a good question. I used to hate getting my relaxers done at the salon because they scrub the hair and scalp really hard and even when I would complain it was too rough, thy would never really ease up. When I did them myself, I never had that problem, but it's so much easier to pay someone to do it. My scalp would be tender for days.

After a while, I would just do them myself and go to the salon with deep conditioner. I just got tired of the rush jobs and even when they weren't rushed, the scalp burns and scabs along with the rough washing.

Sorry you went through this Pinkicey!

I never got scalp burns or scabs, but I definitely had that "just relaxed" scalp feel when I had them done at the salon.

I hate being rushed. Even when I found a good stylist, she was rushed. Plus, she only used half the amount of relaxer needed for my hair type. :nono:

All in all, I'm so happy doing my relaxers myself at home. I take my time and certainly doing scratch my scalp before or during the process.

The thought of her using her nails to scrub your scalp just sounds nasty.

Nails can be terrible carriers of "Germs". i.e. food, dirt, skin, other products, etc....

I would not doubt that it has contributed to your dermatitis.

You said you've had scabs and blood spots before.:look:

Just the whole thought of going back to the Salon give me Chills.:nono:

#flashbacks

Well it seems like over the course of these next 12 weeks I'll be looking at forums on how to relax my own hair.

Last edited:
The same thing happened to me last year. After that, I decided I would never get a relaxer ever again. I've been transitioning ever since.

I used to get a weeping scalp every time I got a relaxer. I actually thought that meant I had gotten a good relaxer. I would be picking scabs out of my hair or my hair would be stuck to my head from my leaking scalp. Smh I'm glad I don't let anyone abuse my head anymore. Those chemicals are no joke.

This is exactly why I went natural. Not saying that you should or shouldn't, but just that I know exactly what you mean. I always thought it was normal to has sores in my scalp until I started my hair journey.

I'm just back to complain even more. My relaxer was Friday and about 3 days later on Monday I started getting a little dandruff. Now it's Thursday and I not only have dandruff in my scalp but there are particles in my hair. About 2 inches of my roots are damp. It's so hard not to itch. Now this has happened my past 3 relaxers but I am just now realizing that it has to be because if her nails.
It just makes me so mad to think I paid money for something that will make me need to wash my hair in 3 days. Oh, and I am also shedding hair. Every now and then I see a long long strand of hair fall out from the root. Now I know you all are wondering why I didn't just wash it. Well, I can't because my schedule is too freaking busy during the week. I am also going swimming tomorrow. I'm so upset because I had gained a good control of my seborrheic dermatitis and now she made it worse.
Hopefully if there is anyone who uses their nails to wash their hair they can read this and not do it. Also, do not let a hair stylist mess up your hair. If I could go back I would have just told her to stop washing it, proceed to wash it myself, and go home to condition and do everything else.

Pinkicey

You need to base your own scalp, before you go to get your hair relaxed. You can buy Summit Scalp Base at your local BSS. Also, you need to buy some Dudley's Antiseptic or Sea Breeze for the event that your scalp get's scratched, during the relaxer process.

You may want to consider self relaxing, so you have complete control over the process. Because it will be your first time do a lot of research and practice your technique with inexpensive conditioner each wash day.

If your seborrheic dermatitis still flares up, you may need to give up relaxing.

Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPkSNjf8aBI

Pinkicey You need to base your own scalp, before you go to get your hair relaxed. You can buy Summit Scalp Base at your local BSS. Also, you need to buy some Dudley's Antiseptic or Sea Breeze for the event that your scalp get's scratched, during the relaxer process. You may want to consider self relaxing, so you have complete control over the process. Because it will be your first time do a lot of research and practice your technique with inexpensive conditioner each wash day. If your seborrheic dermatitis still flares up, you may need to give up relaxing. Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPkSNjf8aBI

I've noticed that women who self relax usually base their hair really good. My hair dresser never bases that much. She would only do 3 lines going across and 1 down the middle. I wonder why she didn't base enough.

Pinkicey You need to base your own scalp, before you go to get your hair relaxed. You can buy Summit Scalp Base at your local BSS. Also, you need to buy some Dudley's Antiseptic or Sea Breeze for the event that your scalp get's scratched, during the relaxer process. You may want to consider self relaxing, so you have complete control over the process. Because it will be your first time do a lot of research and practice your technique with inexpensive conditioner each wash day. If your seborrheic dermatitis still flares up, you may need to give up relaxing. Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPkSNjf8aBI

And she also applies the relaxer starting with my edges and then the middle. I would think that's bad because your edges are your "baby" hairs.

Pinkicey

You need to base your own scalp, before you go to get your hair relaxed. You can buy Summit Scalp Base at your local BSS. Also, you need to buy some Dudley's Antiseptic or Sea Breeze for the event that your scalp get's scratched, during the relaxer process.

You may want to consider self relaxing, so you have complete control over the process. Because it will be your first time do a lot of research and practice your technique with inexpensive conditioner each wash day.

If your seborrheic dermatitis still flares up, you may need to give up relaxing.

Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPkSNjf8aBI

Aireen

Thought this might help with self relaxing in the future :hug2:.

@Pinkicey

Sounds like the Chlorine from the Swimming Pool would irritate/inflame your Scalp even more.:heated:

Sounds like it would burn.:burning:

Those "Flakes" are probably skin from your scalp and that 'dampness' is probably Pus (not to sound gross or anything) from the irritation.

That nail scratching from the Shampoo got you jacked up.

I used to have Dermatitis too when I was going to the Salon.

Haven't had it since I became a DIY'er.

I'm sure it was from that, also the various combs, tools that were used on errbody's heads.

I'm sure she cleaned them, none of this is better than what you can do at home with your own stuff.

You need to Coat Your Hair with Conditioner really good before swimming.

I had 3rd degree burns after my first relaxer -- my Mom had based my scalp well and then dropped me off at the salon. The stylist (European guy) was like "ooooo luuk at all this stuuufff" and proceed to wash my hair (with hot water) before applying relaxer to wet hair. Yup, not kidding. Moral of the story (1) don't ever drop your daughter at a salon and leave her and (2) better to self-lax.

After the trauma of first experience at 13 (and a couple of years sporting a curly fro), I found a handful of pretty good stylists -- most of whom scrubbed relaxer out with nails. I always had ozzing that dried and considered it par for the course. Sad to say that the best relaxer applicators and the ones who didn't do that scratching 'ish were the ones in the really big Dominican Salons. (Not the Mom/Pop two chair joints springing up all over the South.) They also just knew to start application in crown as opposed to nape/edges. I had problems with all the heat they use when styling and weaned myself off, started doing self-tex laxing after a few years natural and now, because texture is getting straighter and straighter, I'm thinking about leaving the creamy-crack alone completely. BUT ... if chemicals ever touch this scalp again, it will be at my own hands. Great tutorial posted by "SouthernLady"(SP) on how to do your own touch-ups. My tip -- use terrycloth baby scrunchies and leave hair in like 10 sections with ends in long bantu knots -- that's the only way that I know to completely isolate NG.

Last edited:
I had 3rd degree burns after my first relaxer -- my Mom had based my scalp well and then dropped me off at the salon. The stylist (European guy) was like "ooooo luuk at all this stuuufff" and proceed to wash my hair (with hot water) before applying relaxer to wet hair. Yup, not kidding. Moral of the story (1) don't ever drop your daughter at a salon and leave her and (2) better to self-lax. After the trauma of first experience at 13 (and a couple of years sporting a curly fro), I found a handful of pretty good stylists -- most of whom scrubbed relaxer out with nails. I always had ozzing that dried and considered it par for the course. Sad to say that the best relaxer applicators and the ones who didn't do that scratching 'ish were the ones in the really big Dominican Salons. (Not the Mom/Pop two chair joints springing up all over the South.) They also just knew to start application in crown as opposed to nape/edges. I had problems with all the heat they use when styling and weaned myself off, started doing self-tex laxing after a few years natural and now, because texture is getting straighter and straighter, I'm thinking about leaving the creamy-crack alone completely. BUT ... if chemicals ever touch this scalp again, it will be at my own hands. Great tutorial posted by "SouthernLady"(SP) on how to do your own touch-ups. My tip -- use terrycloth baby scrunchies and leave hair in like 10 sections with ends in long bantu knots -- that's the only way that I know to completely isolate NG.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I don't ever think I've heard a story that bad. I really think there needs to be a certain set of basic guidelines when it comes to cosmetology school. I feel like it just consist of teachers who have figured out what they "think" has always worked for them so they teach it to others. I really believe a skin science should be added to the curriculum. Cosmetology school is not taken as seriously as it should. Our stories prove that it's not "just hair" and improper teaching can really harm the health of others.

@Pinkicey Sounds like the Chlorine from the Swimming Pool would irritate/inflame your Scalp even more.:heated: Sounds like it would burn.:burning: Those "Flakes" are probably skin from your scalp and that 'dampness' is probably Pus (not to sound gross or anything) from the irritation. That nail scratching from the Shampoo got you jacked up. I used to have Dermatitis too when I was going to the Salon. Haven't had it since I became a DIY'er. I'm sure it was from that, also the various combs, tools that were used on errbody's heads. I'm sure she cleaned them, none of this is better than what you can do at home with your own stuff. You need to Coat Your Hair with Conditioner really good before swimming.

I didn't go swimming today but we went bike riding. We are still supposed to go swimming tomorrow, but I don't think I can go another night like this especially after that bike ride. Do you think it would be too irritating to wash my hair 2 days in a row?

Back