Bad Ingredients..........Read Further

juicygirlie

Hi I have been doing a lot of reading on the boards. And I find that people list in many different posts....bad ingredients contained in produts. Ladies can we list them here:

Just name all bad ingredients contained in hair products and be specific (name exact type of alchols)

Thanks <font color="yellow"> </font>

Why is dimethicone bad. It is drying? Does it break down the cuticle? Some of my favorite products contain dimethicone.

Petroleum/Petrolatum is 'bad' because it 'sits' on the hair. Basically keeping moisture out and preventing good oils from penetrating. Lots of companies use it because of it's consistency (jelly) and it's really cheap. But if you have pomade and the primary ingred. is Petroleum, it's doesn't matter that the rest of the ingreadients are great for your hair, because the petroleum will act as a barrier keeping the good stuff out.

Copied from above link...

"Petrolatum is mineral oil jelly, and mineral oil causes a lot of problems when used on the skin photosensitivity (i.e., promotes sun damage), and it tends to interfere with the body's own natural moisturizing mechanism"

My understanding is that for hair it can be drying and can clog pores which slows the growth process.

[ QUOTE ]
Why is dimethicone bad. It is drying? Does it break down the cuticle? Some of my favorite products contain dimethicone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dimethicone and all other cones are bad for hair because of the same reasons petroleum is bad for hair. It coats the scalp and hair and does not allow moisture to penetrate. If you do not clarify on a regular basis cones can also build up over time and can cause breakage.

Interesting stuff. I've been reading the ingredients since I found this board and avoid mineral oil and pertroleum. Thanks guys
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Copied from above link...

"Petrolatum is mineral oil jelly, and mineral oil causes a lot of problems when used on the skin photosensitivity (i.e., promotes sun damage), and it tends to interfere with the body's own natural moisturizing mechanism"

My understanding is that for hair it can be drying and can clog pores which slows the growth process.

[/ QUOTE ]
YES! I have heard that mineral oil and petrolatum (which I believe are made from the same source, but in different forms, someone please correct me if I'm wrong) can slow hair growth. That was enough to make me go through all my products and toss the ones containing those ingredients. Goodness knows that's the LAST thing I need
shocked.gif

I loved the way the silicones made my hair feel, so slippery and shiney, but little did I know how much damage I was doing because I didn't clarify, so all of my hair broke off! Now I know better!

[ QUOTE ]
what does dimethicone do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is really disturbing to me to read this because I see it in damn near everything I use. S Curl activator, Infusium 23 leave in, and Protectiv's Healthy Ends, so far. Now Im scurd. You know all this info is really making me want to just totally invest in Organic hair products.
shocked.gif

thanks for the info on "cones"! I had already got rid of my shampoos and conditioners that had SLS and ALS. I've just found 3 products I have with "cones" - ORD jojoba oil - has cyclomethicone (says it's for "faster absorption"), IC Fantasia Hair Polish (cyclomethicone, dimethicone, phenyl trimethicone). thoe two, I don't mind cos I've pared down my products to a few essentials (mainly oils or shea butter). But... my beloved Paul Mitchell The Conditioner has dimethicone... NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
shocked.gif

hmm... for some time I was seriously considering organic products... after I use my ones up (only a few anyway) I think I will... and continue to make my own stuff.

What about lanolin? I see that in a few products

. Methyl and Propyl and Butyl and Ethyl Paraben — Used as inhibitors of microbial growth and to extend shelf life of products. Widely used even though they are known to be toxic. Have caused many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Methyl paraben combines benzoic acid with the methyl group of chemicals. Highly toxic.

The above info from Aubrey Organic's website - my goodness, that's in almost everything! I find I had to spend a long time in the shop looking at ingredients when I was first seeking products (and people looking at me like I was crazy). There's a whole lotta stuff out there with all this junk in it.

What about lanolin? I see that in a few products

[/ QUOTE ]

Lanolin is the oil from wool. It is safe to use if you are not allergic to sheep's wool.

OK, you asked for it!

The following ingredients found in various types of cosmetic products, including but not limited to toothpaste, deodorant, shampoos and conditioners, may contain a potent class of Carcinogens (cancer-causing agents) called Nitrosamines:
<ul type="square"> [*]Cocamide DEA [*]Disodium EDTA [*]Lauramide DEA [*]Stearamidopropyl dimethylamine [*]Tetrasodium EDTA [/list]

Any compounds that include PEG-8 (FDA's list of suspected carcinogens), DEA, MEA, TEA or MIPA may form nitrosamines, which have been determined to cause cancer.

Scary, right? Well, don't freak out just yet! Make sure that Vitamins A and C are also in the products because these serve as blocking agents.

This info came from my hair bible, "Naturally Healthy Hair: Herbal Treatments and Daily Care for Fabulous Hair" by Mary Beth Janssen.

Well worth the money!

This is sad...It is SO HARD to avoid these bad ingredients. But if you want all-natural/organic products, you have to pay an arm and a leg for them.

-Ebony

Ohhh thanks Azjeepgirl for the 411. These are important ones to look out for.

Thanks ladies! I try to avoid mineral oil and petroleum like the plague. btw...until now I didn't know about some of these others like Dimethicone. My Kera Care shampoo has SLS in it and the conditioner has dimethicone and mineral oil. I've been switching back and forth with Elucence shampoo and conditioner and a clarifying shampoo just to be safe. Avalon has a organic line now that I might try. I've also been thinking about trying Aubrey Organics since those products are sold at the Vitamin Shoppe here.

Back