Bad advice from my hairdresser?

troi21

I have just had braids put in for the first time with a new hairdresser. I got individual human hair extensions. She sais that I could keep them in for up to four months and that I shouldn't wash my hair at all, just apply oil sheen or hair spray. She said I would ruin them if I wash them. Is she correct? What is the correct way to care for human hair braids?

TIA!

rofl.gif
Whoa .... I have human hair braids. Washing them will mess up the braid pattern. But I wash mine anyway. Right now I have most of it weaved with wet and wavy hair and the hairline braided with wet and wavy hait. So I can really get at the majority of my hair and still get that clean feeling without washing the hairline. I use alcohol to clean the scalp of the braided part. Today though I washed the front VERY carefully. I aimed the water at teh wall and let it bounce off onto my braids so I would get the water and not the pressure from it, so my braids would stay in tact. For me 4 months is 2 inches of growth and there is no way I would walk around with such tacky looking braids, but hey people do it all the time. When I wore all human hair braids I would get them redone every 6 weeks and yes I only washed once every three weeks.

4 months with NO moisture?
look.gif
What's she tryna do to your hair?
laugh.gif
I'm sure you'll get a lot better advice here. I don't wear braid extensions myself, but I know that aint right.

Use the crown and glory method. I put in a search and below is some info I copied and pasted from another thread for you :

(quote)
I currently employ the crown and glory methods to my hair regime since December, 2002. You or your hairdresser parts the hair in medium sized sections and applies single exstensions firmly (not tightly)to individual partings, leave them in for 1-2 months.

During the time braids are worn you must moisturise daily with African Pride braid sheen spray and strengthen them with a leave-in treatment called Infusium 23 Original for damaged/unmanageable hair.

Once a week, wash the hair twice with creme of nature shampoo, diluted in a large cup of warm water. After this wrap towel around braids to soak up extra water.

For conditioning, pour braid spray into plastic bowl, then dip the towel in and wrap it around and press it onto the braids to give the hair enough moisture, next spray infusium on scalp and hair.

After two months, carefully remove braids without damage to hair, your hair is supposed to have some moisturise, not dry/breaking.

To avoid unecessary tangling/breakage during the shampoo, place hair in four large braids/twists then wash with a my hair with clarifying shampoo (the recommended one is Sebastian Laminates Shampoo) to only remove build up (then switch back a week later to normal creme of nature).

Deep condition with the recommended Le kair cholesterol strengthening and conditioning creme for 40-60 minutes with plastic cap, hooded dryer etc, before you wash the conditioner out firstly, detangle each hair section and comb out gently, re-braid sections, finally, rinse out cond. Apply oils/moisturising products. Optionally you could use Robin's ends sealing technique if you ends are shedding, locks in moisture down to the cortex, to prevent furthur shedding/dyness.

Keep hair in protective styles, redoing them once a week for two months. I wear natural bantu knots, cornrows, twists and cover my hair satin scarves, before I go to sleep.

Continue washing and conditioning hair once week and moisturise daily with braid spray/infusium (I tend to use more heavier creamier moisturisers like breakfree).

After the two months your ready to apply exstensions, again.

And this is the whole technique from start to finish.......

Check out my hair results at www.growafrohairlong.com/denise.html

Here is an email message sent to me, by Robin Woods I hope you find her suggestions helpful.

Hi Denise:

How often would you recommend i wash and deep condition my extended hair?
answer: Once a week. Apply the infusium23 to your scalp after you towel squeeze
the apply the braid spray to the scalp

But....don't add these two to your scalp daily or it will be too complicated to take your braids out.

Daly lightly spray the braid spray....lightly.

No deep conditioning because the conditioner may not come out of your braids because it is thicker than shampoo and adhere to the hair and it could dry it out.

These two products will be enough.

If you slightly wear your hair for two months it may become matted at the base and it may start and become dehydrated especially if you don't have the proper products to last.

If you do decide slightly longer than two months, make sure you shampoo weekly and have enough Infusium 23 and braids spray.

The braids above your ears and in the back (nape of neck area,) monitor them because this is where a lot of build up comes. So, redo them like every three weeks if you have to. This is the part that seems to be the problem area of taking out your extensions.

Good-luck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hair site Updated 17th October, 2003
www.geocities.com/deniselhaynes/naturallycoilyhair.index
Album updated: 16th October, 2003
www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=7113864/t_=6209898
Type my email address/password=Denise

Edited by den1 (10/19/03 05:28 PM)

First of all, I wouldn't keep braids in for four months. Second, please wash your hair but keep in mind that like Cute said it will mess of the braid pattern and your braids will become frizzy, they might even come out. I would suggest when you wash them to put pantyhose-stocking cap on first. This might help.

[ QUOTE ]
zanzibardotcom said:
First of all, I wouldn't keep braids in for four months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly that would be a hot mess for me. And I find that cornrows work much better for my hair than individual braids.

I wash once a week- but I do my own braids, so if any braids come loose, I can just redo them on the spot. If I had to rely on someone else to fix my braids, I'd probably hold of for a couple weeks!

I used to wear single braids all the time. I would not recommend going longer than 2 months. The longer you leave them in the harder it is to take them out (in my experience anyway). I've never actually washed them with shampoo and water. I used "organics root stimulator herbal cleanse no rinse shampoo" followed by "organic root stimulator shea butter sofetning hair lotion". It has an applicator so that you can apply it directly to your scalp and hair. I love it, it leaves your scalp feeling fresh and tingly. And the shea butter leaves your hair and breads really soft, plus it smells good.

[ QUOTE ]
Feli said:
I used to wear single braids all the time. I would not recommend going longer than 2 months. The longer you leave them in the harder it is to take them out (in my experience anyway). I've never actually washed them with shampoo and water. I used "organics root stimulator herbal cleanse no rinse shampoo" followed by "organic root stimulator shea butter sofetning hair lotion". It has an applicator so that you can apply it directly to your scalp and hair. I love it, it leaves your scalp feeling fresh and tingly. And the shea butter leaves your hair and breads really soft, plus it smells good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does you hair and head smell good and clean after using this or does it just put a masking smell on top?

In my experience you can keep braids in for 3 months without any problems. I've had braids with extensions 5 times in my life (2 times with human hair).

[ QUOTE ]
She sais that I could keep them in for up to four months and that I shouldn't wash my hair at all, just apply oil sheen or hair spray. She said I would ruin them if I wash them.

[/ QUOTE ]

ohwell.gif

This person sounds like she's more interested in you keeping a fresh style than you having your own healthy hair. What I know about weaves could fit on the head of a pin. But IMO, if you want your own hair to be clean and healthy when you take the weave out, you should follow the previous advice and shampoo/condition your hair.

You can wash humans hair especially your hair ends, because it makes the extension looks alot more natural...My sister did this and her hair looked great but when she stopped it began to frizz and look bad.

Back