Back to Basics in 2004 - No More Gimmicks!

CocoaCure

After all this revelation about Surge I officially feel completely stupid for jumping on the Surge bandwagon and starting thread regarding Surge and how wonderful it was (I still never had any problems with it), but I feel bad because I feel as though I contributed to so many of us who have had problems with it. I sincerely apologize to anyone who may have run out and bought Surge due to my over-exuberant posts! Furthermore, in 2003 I was a total and complete product junkie! IF there was a 12 step program for us, believe me I would have been on the front row.

But now in 2004 I'm going Back to the Basics ya'll!! I'm through with Gimmicks and the whatever the "latest", "hottest" product is! I know Cathy Howse' personality isn't the best, but I have to admit to myself that when I was using her UBH Conditioner and moisturizer, my hair was the healthier, thickest from root to end and longest that it has ever been. She even warns against us falling for every gimmick and here I fell hook, line and sinker!

Also, did any of you notice that it's an Asian company when you called? I mentioned on another post that I love all of God's people, but it really does make you wonder about this Surge product when so many Asians are getting rich off of the Black haircare market. (Specifically the wig, weave and fake hair business) and then suddenly here comes a product NOT MADE BY US that is touted as being the greatest thing to make your hair grow fast - and then suddenly so many of us start having scalp problems and skin irritation. Was this designed to do this and MAKE US WEAVE AND FAKE HAIR CUSTOMERS FOR LIFE??? I'm just wondering. It's one of those things that make you go Hmmmm. I hope I'm not offending anyone as I certainly do not mean to. It's just that if I wear a weave I want it to be because WE WANT TO, not because WE HAVE TO!!!

I'm just sick over so many of us having severe problems with Surge that although I haven't had any problems I'm still throwing this crap away and I'm boycotting all of their products! It's just ridiculous that we're experiencing chapping skin, dry patches, scalp peeling, redness, soreness and irritation! It hurts me to hear these stories so I'm getting rid of this stuff! I'm re-doing my regimine too to reflect my new, more simple and basic hair care regimen. In fact, from now on, I'll always wait a good while (about a year) before I try any new products! I have a couple conditioners I like, a couple shampoos I like, the great UBH conditioner, and UBH moisturizer, what else do I need??? That's it! that's my regimen. The simpler the better. Oh, and I'm still taking my vitamins. Good luck to all of us with our haircare goals in 2004!! We'll reach them if we just keep it sweet and simple and not make our heads the guinea pig testing ground for every new, hyped up product that comes out! Here's to reaching our goals in 2004! Anyone want to go back to the basics with me??? (not my exact regimen, but whatever YOUR BASIC is - everybody doing whatever basic things they've found works great for their hair over a long time, that maybe you got away from doing!)!!

I feel ya CocoaCure.

I didn't buy Surge for the simple fact that too many people were pushing it (and not to mention that's putting protein in your hair twice a day
shocked.gif
). That threw up a red flag with me. I've always used the basics + supplements and I haven't had any adverse effects so far.

Thank you so much for this post. I am one of the people who experienced a negative reaction to Surge, however, I never once blamed anyone. I bought and used this product on my own free will, so please don't feel badly. One thing we all agree on here is that not everything will work for everyone. However, you do raise a valid point on the issue of non-Blacks getting rich off the Black hair care market. I know that the distributors of Surge have had a surge financially from all of the people who are desperately seeking this product. I will not be purchasing anymore Surge and I will be going back to basics as well. As regards to Cathy Howse, well I met her personally and I found her to be sweet, kind, helpful and always there whenever I had a hair care issue. I love her products and have always had great results. I contribute the overall success of my hair care to her. She was the first person who addressed and answered all of my questions about caring for African American hair. I find her to be a beautiful and genuine person who cares deeply about helping us verses gaining monetarily. We have to stick together and evaluate who actually has our best interest. Thanks again for such a poignant post.

[ QUOTE ]
CocoaCure said:

Also, did any of you notice that it's an Asian company when you called? I mentioned on another post that I love all of God's people, but it really does make you wonder about this Surge product when so many Asians are getting rich off of the Black haircare market. (Specifically the wig, weave and fake hair business) and then suddenly here comes a product NOT MADE BY US that is touted as being the greatest thing to make your hair grow fast - and then suddenly so many of us start having scalp problems and skin irritation. Was this designed to do this and MAKE US WEAVE AND FAKE HAIR CUSTOMERS FOR LIFE??? I'm just wondering. It's one of those things that make you go Hmmmm. I hope I'm not offending anyone as I certainly do not mean to. It's just that if I wear a weave I want it to be because WE WANT TO, not because WE HAVE TO!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

ehhhhhhhh... I don't think this is the case. I've had many a conversation with women in the BSS about how relaxer kits are part of the same conspiracy.

There are many examples of something that is prescribed as being the best way in order to keep a "market". It happens in hair care, with medications, food, gaseline.

It just means you have to be an educated consumer and find out what is economically and physically best for you and your family.

Not to get off topic if I did... yep - I'm sticking with my basic staples this year. My hair is thriving and i don't want to jepardize it.

Smart woman you are Crysdon!! You're sooooo right. I first learned about the protein from the Cathy Howse site. Protein is OK ONLY in the deep conditioning phase of hair care - NOT for daily use! Protein should NEVER be in a moisturizer! Like I said, when I was following her Haircare teachings and using the UBH conditioner and moisturizer I had NO PROBLEMS and long, thick, fast-growing, heathy hair! But NO, that wasn't enough, I had to start using my head as the testing ground for everything and anything anybody would say worked! I'm about to save a ton of money Crysdon!! LOL!! I don't know why I stopped using the Cathy Howse products and methods. I guess I didn't care for the way she answered questions on her site. But you know what, I don't need her to be a "lovely host" on her site, I just need her to keep giving correct, steady advice and selling her wonderful products. So what that she's not as nice and sweet as Robin, the Hair Lady! I don't care about sweetness anymore, just good, solid, products and good, solid hair advice! Also Crysdon it sounds like whatever you're doing is working great! My advice - stick to whatever you're doing now and stay smart!

Oh...........I also forgot to mention that when I started trying all these 5 million different products I started having a lot of shedding AND breakage (something I haven't experience to that degree in YEARS!!!) This is why I just cut almost 2 inches off my hair last week! I'm repairing the damage from all those months of "experimenting with everything!" Now my hair is thick again and the ends look clean and thick. It's about 2 1/2 inches below my shoulders, but it really looks so much nicer even though it was much longer before and I getting closer to that brastrap! Oh well, I want to get there with thick ends, not the split, raggedy ones I had. I'm definitely sticking with what I know now!!! No more new stuff for me!! I'll just wait like you said!!! :-)

I like your idea of getting "back to basics". I never had much luck with the surge but, I do think that it may be beneficial for some people. It just made my hair too dry...

I have a hard time sticking to one product that I know works because I'm always looking for something better. I have to stop
wallbash.gif

so, right now my staples are:
Carefree Curl gold oil free activator
Carefree Curl moisturizer
Worlds Of Curl activator/IC Styling Gel mix (thanks Adrienne)
Nexxus Emergencee
Creme of Nature Shampoo

I still have to find my staples with conditioners, and etc.

I know what you mean about keeping it simple. I've already made a personal challenge to stick with Kera Care along with a few products from the Design Essentials line and leave it at that. These lines really deliver the best results for me.

CocoaCure, you must have been reading my mind! I was one of those who did run out and buy surge and after not getting any results or what seemed to be the opposite of what you had posted, I too decided no MORE! I am about to order more of the UBH conditioner (which I love) and stick with my staple products and that's it for the running around!

I have never really been a product junkie and I definately didnt jump on the Surge bandwagon, just because I knew it'd take awhile to get both sides of the Surge story. MY routine is basic and will stay basic, that's what has been growing my hair and getting it healthy. I also am a Cathy Howse fan, she was the 1st reason I really wanted to take care of my hair.

Good points Crystena77! I hope I didn't offend anyone in my mentioning that the company is Asian. The ONLY person I trust with trimming/cutting my hair besides myself IS Asian and his name is Ahn. (I love that name!) I just mentioned it to say that I wondered if it was a group that has already cornered the market on selling us weaves and a variety of fake hair and if they were trying to make more customers for themselves. But you're absolutely right - marketing certain products to certain people is the foundation of all marketing/adversting - find your target audience and shooting everything their way! I SHOULD have been smarter and a more educated consumer. After all I learned from Cathy Howse's site that we SHOULD NEVER HAVE PROTEIN IN ANY KIND OF DAILY USE PRODUCT!!! That should have been my red flag, but nope! Needless to say, no gimmicky products will be making their way into my bathroom this year and beyond! I'm sticking with the tried and true!

Dutchess, that's wonderful about Cathy Howse!! I'm so glad to hear that!! At first I thought she was just answering questions rather stern because she gets a lot of really stupid questions and people saying mean things to her. But I'm so glad you said that she's really nice in person! Maybe I'd be a little gruff with people too if they kept telling me my hair was fake and all the other silliness she has to deal with! Both she and Robin, The Hair Lady have such simplistic regimens and both of them have so much success!!! I'm sticking to simple in '04!

Good for you, Cocoacure! I think that some people are looking for a "miracle product" to grow their hair, and some are looking for a "miracle method/technique", but there are no such things!

I feel that dependency on a particular product will only do us harm because we feel obligated to purchase it, and what happens if it's discontinued and there aren't any substitutes?

The best way is doing what you know works - moisturizing, conditioning, and minimizing heat and your hair will grow....

Yep! You guys are right! In fact, since I obviously need to re-educated myself - I'm going to go over and visit the Cathy Howse site and remind myself of some blatant no-no's (like daily protein, etc.)

Babygurl, I'm like you............Cathy Howse' website was the first thing I read online that really made me change my haircare for the better and finally get well past shoulder length! For years I just assumed that a little past shoulders was "my hair limit" and I was always thankful for that because I always knew a lot of girls that could never get that long. (Especially in the 80's when everybody was switching back and forth from curls (curly perm) to relaxer and not knowing what the heck we were doing (high schoolers). Luckily I didn't switch but there were a WHOLE LOT of girls who lost a lot of hair! Cahty Howse also addresses this chemical mixing madness on her site too. In fact, all of the advice on her site is based on pure common sense. She also advocates for using products that have always worked well for you individually. So that's exactly what I'm going to do! Thanks for you guys comments too!!

When I first started researching hair online, Cathy Howse's website came up. I learned a lot of good tips from her site and soon I was visiting it everyday. I eventually ordered her book and her products (I have yet to try them though) and since she and her site was the first thing I came across when I decided I really wanted to grow my hair-I'm willing to give her products and methods a try.

i'm so glad
smile.gif
my routine is so damn basic, i was starting to feel like a minority on the board
laugh.gif
or lazy
wink.gif
but it's just that i find that keeping it simple has always just worked best for my hair. My hair is finicky about alot of newfangled stuff. it likes water and all that but too much stuff and constantly altering my routine and i would just be begging for trouble ---thanks for the good post-----jainygirl

Well, I'm not done Surging and eating extra protein and MSM to help my growth rate. I've had no ill effects so far, but I sometimes forget and miss Surge applications.

CocoaCure, I'm forever indebted to you anyway for introducing me to Sta-Sof-Fro. Just got a compliment on my soft curls this afternoon!
smile.gif

My hair is surprisingly happy with just a wash and condition (CON or Lanza strait line) and some Sta-Sof-Fro. Talk about back to basics.

[ QUOTE ]
Crysdon said:
I feel ya CocoaCure.

I didn't buy Surge for the simple fact that too many people were pushing it (and not to mention that's putting protein in your hair twice a day
shocked.gif
). That threw up a red flag with me. I've always used the basics + supplements and I haven't had any adverse effects so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif

I'm so glad I didn't jump on the SURGE bandwagon! I think sticking to the basics is a good idea. I'll just stick with my KeraCare and Motions products because that's what works best for me.

CocoaCure, Cathy gets a lot of negativity. People say that they don't like her attitude and tone but like I said she's always been kind to me. I would be a little disappointed too if I was trying to help people and they wouldn't see past what they perceived as an attitude. She's still trying to help no matter how much negativity she gets. My first start was with her and I will support her efforts 100%. I'm going to read her book again tonight just to refresh everything. Thanks again for such a great post!

Dutchess, I would revisit her book, but I gave it to my Mom to read (and she loves it too!), and you're right, she has always tried to help us even with all the mess she has to deal with from people.

Megon - Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying the Sta-Sof-Fro! That is also one of my staples! Again, it's all about each of us finding what works for us individually. If you want to keep using Surge, I'm not one to talk you out of it. I HAD to stop though even though I didn't get any reaction - I'm just stopping because I so vehemently supported it and wrote about and now sooooooo many of us are having these awful skin reactions and such to it! I really really feel guilty for posting about how great it was! It hurts me to see AA women having hair issues and especially from a product that I told a lot of people about! I've been going around here at work telling the people I told about Surge, the flip side of the story and that a lot of people are breaking out, having dry patches, scalp soreness, skin irritation, redness, etc. and that I'm sorry for telling them to run out and get some!! I've learned my lesson! I'll never write about another product unless it is one that I've tried and used for a good while and "tested". But I am very happy to know that you're not having any problems with Surge!!! Thank God!!!

UBH Conditioner is one of Cathy Howse' UBH products. She makes this conditioner, Dew - a moisturizing hair spray, and her UBH Moisturizer. UBH stands for Ultra Black Hair!

I'm definitely working on pairing down my products to be at basics. I'm sick of trying stuff and then it doesn't work so it just sits in my haircare junkyard.

Well, I guess I am in the minority. I think Surge has been good for my hair; I have definitely seen a tremendous difference in my hair in the last couple of months. The only thing I added to my regimen was Surge (about 5 days out of 7, once a day) and consistent daily use of MSM. Now I am using the powdered MSM and wouldn't have known a thing about it if someone had not posted about it. I think you have to know thyself...sometimes you experiment with something new. If it doesn't work, oh well. If it is actually detrimental, you find out pretty quickly and can usually counteract any problem pretty quickly with what you know works. I love to hear of each person's experience. I can usually take something away from their experience. Once you find a hair twin or two or three on the board you can often try things they use and are happy with and get the same great results. I think the longer we are on this journey, we come to know our hair better. We know what it likes and dislikes. I am just now calming down from my product junkism (is this a new word?), but only after trying a few (hundred) new things. My hair is healthier than it was in July when I joined this board. It is longer (faster than usual) and noticeably so. I am getting compliments on how smooth and shiny it is as well. After listening to you ladies and getting rid of the heat, moisturizing to a fault and using protective styles 99.9% of the time, my hair is much, much, better off. How else would we know about how well Surge, GPB, Elucence, K-Pak, bone combs, "protective styles," etc., are working or not working for so many. None of these products or phrases were in my vocabulary six months ago! Simplify, yes...once you know what works for you, but please, please, please, keep the recommendations coming. Let's just all use our common sense and share our best with each other. Thank you, Ladies!
wink.gif

Aerie,

You make a good point about "hair twins." I think I have a natural hair twin and everytime I try a product that she uses, it works wonderfully for me, too...even though she's all natural and I'm transitioning. There are a couple of others I am probably hair twins with, also. Hmm...guess I need to watch this more...kind of like letting someone else try products first!

Well I have mentioned that I have not had a problem with Surge, maybe because I don't depend soley on Surge. But I don't know, anyway I liked it for detangling the most. For the most part I am simple with my products, I mean I have been using the same ones for over 6 months now. They may be a large amount (about 4 shampoos and 4 conditioners), but I like them. I am off the vitamins, because I am not sure about those. Biotin I was afraid of facial and other unwanted hair issues, so I discontinued and even though I said I would take fewer dosages (as in maybe one or 2 a month) I haven't. If anything I will just take overall health vitamins. My sister says that I put a lot in my hair, but really I am just trying to keep moisture in it, especially while transitioning.

I have a few hair twins on the board as well and their recs ALWAYS work for me. I agree about keeping it simple tho (as I expressed in your other thread) - its the best bet.

I have found some wonderful products bc of the forum - but when I get a little too crazy my hair always let's me know about it - and then I know it's time to get back to basics.
grin.gif

I am happy to see their are other people here who like Cathy Howse as much as me! I have been using her products for a month now. My hair is so healthy. I just received my first relaxer Dec 7, 03. I am so happy with it!! I have been getting my here pressed for 18 years. My hair is so much more easier to take care of now! I can wash it myself without getting a lot of hair out when I comb it. It's still very thick and wavy. It actually looks the same as it did when it was pressed the curl is just a little bit looser.

Back