Back on the Baggie Challenge - 30 days

Alright ladies I have my bun in a baggie that has a capful of olive oil and a couple drops of castor oil.

I'm in. My ends can always use some extra care. I will be doing like you simplycee, bagging at night and bun during the day. Good luck ladies!

I'll join you but I'm going 13 weeks. I have noticed some breakage and more splits than usual as well and I KNOW it's because I went over 3 months without doing the baggy. It was protected but I guess NOT enough. I will have to do it especially during the summer since myhair doesn't do well in the summer. The sun fries my hair like a flatiron...lol. That reminds me..I have to invest in some scarfs for the summer and more fashionable hats.

ETA: I can already tell the difference in my hair. I went back to the baggy on Sunday and yesterday when I redid it, my ends were SO SOFT and smooth and my strands were supple. I guess I stopped cause I got tired of the bun look BUT in all honesty when I was doing it I got to keep all my length (with just the occasional trim to even it out).

Last edited:
Well I wore my baggie to work over my bun. I covered it with one of those bun covers. Its cold here and we are expecting snow. I could just picture my ends crumbling because of the weather.

Faith, when I was originally on this challenge last year I NEVER had breakage. I may go longer than a month but I have to start off with a smaller goal. :lol:

I hope this works. I've never did the baggie method prior to this year so I'm really excited to see some results. Anyway, I've got my baggie on. I sprayed my ends with some surge and sealed the ends with the Bed Head Ego Boost and Surge woojee oil. I'm getting my relaxer this weekend, so I can't wait to see what I'm working with. :yep:

Definitely start small. I was on the opposite side...I wore the baggy 99% of the time and thought a change was due. Well needless to say I'm back in it 99% of the time now. I will only take it down on wash day and to rearrange the bun Wed and Sundays. Like you I didn't get breakage with it either. And my splits was drastically reduced..so much so that I went 6 months without a trim but without the baggy I seemed to be trimming every other month.

Good luck ladies...get some bun covers (I have about 8 of them) :)

What sort of oils is everyone using? I've been using sweet almond oil, but would like to find something lighter - like jojoba but cheaper. Any suggestions?

In the baggy? All I use is BB lotion and safflower oil, which is very moisturizing and cheap. It's a little richer than the jojoba but not that much.

Faith said:
In the baggy? All I use is BB lotion and safflower oil, which is very moisturizing and cheap. It's a little richer than the jojoba but not that much.

What is that? :confused:

Right there with you, ayoung1981. It's only been 3 days, but each day my hair breaks less and less.

Thanks for the tip about safflower oil. What's the texture of grape seed oil like?

Grapeseed oil reminds me of sweet almond oil's consistancy but a little lighter.

Last edited:
I've been wearing mine for the past 2 days and my hair is soooo moist! I know that those Jherri CUrl people were on to something! I've been using castor oil or Dabir Vitaka coconut oil on my hair! Great combo! I had to take off the baggie for a few hours today because my head was getting hot:lol: I was wondering if It would be okay to poke a couple of holes in the baggie so that my head could breathe? Or would that defeat the purpose of baggy-ing?

I'd like to join this challenge too! I've been doing this for a while now but recently started using:

S-curl
Water
Sidr Tree Butter Balm (Qhemet Biologics)
Honeybush Hair Tea soft hold gel (Qhemet Biologics -- very light)

...on my ponytail, baggie it and tie a satin scarf on at night and tuck it under a "phony bun" during the day. I wash my hair every 3-4 days and use a light protein condition with heat pretty much once a week. As I type this I am trying Simplycee's pre-poo of AO GPB mixed with jojoba oil for the first time.

Looking forward to maintaining moisturized ends and less breakage and shedding!

I'm in too. :yep:

I tried the baggie method last night for the very first time. I spritz my ends with water, applied lots of EVOO, twisted my hair into one bantu knot, and covered it with a baggie. This morning I did a loose french roll with my nice and soft ends. :grin:

Faith said:
Bronner Brother's moisturizing lotion

Oh, okay thanks...I'm still trying to learn all of the lingo around here. You'd think I'd know about them since they are based here in Atlanta. :ohwell:

Anyway, how are things going with you ladies? I'm feeling pretty good about the baggie challenge. My shedding is not as bad as it was a month ago, so I'm psyched about the benefits my hair is getting from the baggie. :yep:

Last edited:
YW :)

So far so good...my ends are looking great. I washed on Monday and I hardly had any breakage..compared to during my no baggy months.

The first week I had virtually no breakage, but could I leave well enough alone? Sooo last weekend I bought some ORS Olive Oil Lotion thinking it would be less heavy than the SAO (sweet almond oil). The first time I used it by end of day, my ends felt crunchy. I've gone back to ORS Carrot Oil and SAO so the ends are much smoother, but I have more shedding (though still little breakage) than last week.

Overall though, I'm loving this challenge and the moisturizing effect. This might be a good thing to do every 3-4 months to fight chronic dryness.

i'm wanna get in on the baggie challenge. my whole head could stand more moisture. i'll keep u posted...

Phoenix said:
I have braids and a couple of times a week I spritz with a mixture of water, oil, & glycerine, put on a baggie,tie it down with a satin scarf and wear it over night.

I was doing this everyday, but my braids were constantly damp. I began to wonder if it was bad to keep my hair damp all the time. Does anyone know the answer to that?

I have been doing this everynight with the exception of about 4-5 days over the past 6 weeks. My braids and hair are super moist and my hair is growing like crazy!! I have seen that my hair is kind of damp, but it's dry before I leave the house.

I've been doing this for 4 nights per week and my hair has made a marked turnaround for the better. Baggie-ing several nights a week will be part of my regime from now on. I also go my Bf hooked on this! He does it 3 nights a week and his hair has grown!

Ok--I fell off last week, but I back to my baggie during the day when at home.
I could see a marked difference in my hair.

The baggie method is remarkable...no turning back for me. I've had braids for the past 2 weeks and have been baggie-ing nightly. I thought I could last 6 weeks in the braids, but I'll be lucky if I make it through 2 more weeks....my hair hasn't grown out this fast in braids before, so I know it must be the baggie.

Back