Back from PR with a SPECIAL TREAT! [long]

Angelicus

My trip to Puerto Rico was great! But to be honest, I only hung with Dominicans. And if you don't know already from reading this board, they are crazy about hair! And everybody thought I was Dominican until they found out that my spanish is limited. They said it was because of how I wore my hair.

My first evening there I met a young lady who was Dominican and her knowledge of english was limited (and so was my spanish). I asked her where I could get some Miss Key 10 en 1 conditioner and she didn't understand :( then I realized that in the Hispanic community that Miss Key is pronounced (Miss Kay).

Well the next morning she was nice enough to take me to a shop that had hundreds of brands, all the ones mentioned on this site and even more that I had never seen before. It was a sight for me and I didn't know which conditioner to choose. In fact, the Dominican area is full of these little stores... it sure is a sight to see from someone who doesn't have any dominican stores in her state.

The owner of the store, Diana (Dee-anna) looked at my hair and started feeling in it. She said she was going to make me a special treatment since I couldn't decide on what I wanted. she pulled out all these good conditioners and started mixing:

1. Emergencia
2. (Unsure of brand) Suela y Canela Rinse
3. Miss Key 10 en 1
4. Silicon Mix (never heard of it until I came to the store. It's made by Rivas and is sold on Sickbay.biz)
5. Kuul (I have no idea what it is or where it came from).

As she was mixing and measuring, she was saying, in spanish, that this mix had a good combination of moisture, protein, and oil (good thing my spanish comprehension is really good-- I understood every word). She filled an old 16oz Rysell Aguacate jar past the top with this mixture. We kept talking in spanish about haircare and my new friend pulls me to the side and says in spanish, "I thought you didn't speak spanish. How do you know about all these products and how do you about hair stuff in spanish?" :lol:

Whooo, when I put this stuff in my hair, after swimming in the ocean, my hair felt so GOOD... not even my precious Miss Key is better. Half the jar is already gone and I have the feeling I will have to move to NYC to get my Dominican fix :(
---
When I was at a dominican bar, there was an language barrier when it came to me ordering drinks. So to end the confusion and frustration I asked for a Red Bull. A Dominican man comes to me and says, in spanish, that Red Bull is bad for my hair because it contains taurine and caffiene, and that if I really loved my hair that I would not drink it. Wow. Then we had this whole discussion about how fast food is killing American hair and how I should carry fruit with me instead of buying fast food because my hair is precious. (Wow, again). They are truly hair fanatics.

There were a lot of black tourists who were asking me how I kept my hair nice. I just told them about the Dominican area and they RAN to it!

Well that's my PR hair adventure!

Thanks for sharing!

The mix the lady made sounds very interesting. The Dominican Salon where I get my relaxer (Mirror Image) in NY makes a conditioner there that they say is from the Dominican Rebublic. They keep it in a large clear Jar. The end result is a green mix. It's really good and gives great slip.

I wonder if they used the same mix. Was it green???? Everytime I ask what is in it they said "Avacado, olive oil...Lot of things Mommie..."

Can you tell me where the area is where you found the Dominican Products. I will be going to PR in August.

anky said:
She filled an old 16oz Rysell Aguacate jar past the top with this mixture.
I would have been trying to get a gallon size of this mixture to take back. :lol: Sounds yummy for the hair.

I'm going to PR in a couple of weeks, so I'm glad to know they're stocked and so into healty haircare too. You should visit DR, it's like having a vacation for your hair! Every time I go I attack the BSS and the stuff is sooooooooo cheap. There's also hairdressers around every corner, and in that heat, they give a real serious blowout! I don't know what it is, but that's the only place I can air dry with nice curls, I love it. Glad you had a good time in PR!

Glad you had a great trip, Anky!!!!!!! :yay: :yay: And very happy that you made it back to us safely!!!! Man, I would have been all too pieces inside of an authentic Puerto Rico Beauty Supply. I would have run through that thing picking stuff up like the Tazmanian Devil. :lol: :lol: The mixture that was made for you sounds heavenly.

:think: ...I just finished my Alter Ego garlic Oil jar......off I go :creatures ...in the kitchen

Good for you anky i hear dr is sooo fun!!
one of my hair stylists have used some silicone mix in one of my wets sets.My hair came out super silky!!

I'm going to try this mixture out.There is a bss with a huge selection of dominican products,in the next town over.I can hardly wait. :)

luvSLave- I wore my hair in twistouts and rollersets (with the help of caruso rollers).

Allandra- Stupid me should have told her to make 134353932 gallons of it for me.

DangerouslyShy- I would try to recreate her mix but I am sooo poor :cry3: The only measurement I remember is 2 heaping tablespoons of Miss Key 10 en 1 Super Conditioner :( and whatever was green must have been a lot because the mixture was a strange green color.

OneInAMillion
- Let me know if you need any info for your trip, maybe you can go to "Pitusa" and find that guy I want to be my future husband... long story.

goldensugar23
- Everyone in Puerto Rico was telling me about Rivas Silicon Mix. They said it was the best! I would like to buy this one day!

Anky, good to hear you had a nice trip and thanks for the information.

Does anyone know what Kuul is???

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. I seem like you had a great trip!!!! I wonder if you can do this with mixing other types of conditioners. I sound like something I would try.

Interesting story! Sounds like you had a great time! I wish I could go on big trips like you, anky! Thanks for sharing!

And here I am addicted to Red Bull. I think I'll be quitting cold turkey. Thanks for the info. ^_^

Thanks for sharing Anky! Maybe there is a way to call that woman and have her make continuous batches for you or mail you a crate or two!

Thanks for sharing Anky...

U schooled me...cause I never knew there was a Domincan section in Puerto Rico...especially knowing there's this "thing"...where Dominicans aren't "fond" of PR's and vice versa.

Now...back to product list...

okay, Torque Emergencia, got it...
Suela y Canela (I've seen two brands around my way...I must look again)
10 n 1, got it, used before and liked...
I've seen the Silcon mix....very curious now....
and I'm thinking the Kuul is Kuz???

Sounds like an interesting mix...would have to have extra pocket money to get all of that though to try as a hair treat.

OneInAMillion - Let me know if you need any info for your trip, maybe you can go to "Pitusa" and find that guy I want to be my future husband... long story.

Yea I might have to check that place out...i hear u on the future husband bit tho, believe me, i know, but that's another thread :lol:

All I have to say is that it's nice to have connections in places that can mail you ill conditioners...keep those lines open!

Sounds like you had a nice time! You're a true LHCFer -- getting the hair goods and whatnot!

Back