Babyface Collagen Hair Repair- Alternative to BKT???

ElegantExotic

Hello Ladies,

I purchased some Biolage Cera-Repair Pro 4 Treatments on ebay, and while paying, a listing for LIQUID COLLAGEN PROTEIN HAIR KERATIN REPAIR TREATMENT came up.

Curiously, I clicked on the link and was intrigued by what I saw. Anyone tried this???

It seems interesting, but I would like to know the ingredients that's in it.

ETA: From what I have gathered, it's pure collagen with some sort of preservative:

Q: what are the ingredients of this product? thanks
A: It's pure collagen. Will not damage hair.

Q: can pregnant women use this product?
A: Hello - The protein element is very safe, however the preservative might be something a pregnant woman, or one breastfeeding, might want to avoid. The preservative is dmdm hydantoin.

LIQUID COLLAGEN PROTEIN HAIR KERATIN REPAIR TREATMENT Ebay Listing

Welcome! We are so pleased to be able to offer this amazing hair product that is absolutely unique and something you won't find anywhere else! It is an exclusive product. It is NOT the same type of protein treatment they use in most salons and although there are a few sellers with what seems to be similar products, it is not the same stuff. This is a protein product, but it works much better than traditional salon protein treatments, and is longer lasting. And the amount you use is VERY small because it's so intensely POTENT. There are only a handful of high-end salons you can get this treatment, and they charge between $150 and $250 for EACH TREATMENT. Yes, that means this listing is a $450+ value!

IN THIS SALE:Collagen Hair Repair, 3 treatments - Pictured below. Comes with 3 single use vials for ease of use, no measuring! Also comes with disposable shower cap. Product information and detailed instructions are included.

I ALSO sell this in a larger sized kit - 10 treatments, and a 4 ounce professional size with 30 treatment size! Please see my store for more information. These days, just about everyone is doing something to their hair. Coloring it, adding highlights, straightening or curling it... even a blow dryer and hair brush will damage hair over time. Hair can only take so much, and it can't repair itself.

Are you trying to grow long hair but it never seems to grow? Is your hair frizzy? Do you color your hair often, or use at-home hair color?

Understanding damaged hair: The hair shaft is made up of dead, hard protein called keratin, in three layers. The inner layer is called the medulla. The next layer is the cortex, and the outer layer is the cuticle. The cortex makes up the majority of the hair shaft. The cuticle is formed by tightly packed scales in an overlapping structure, similar to roof shingles. When hair is damaged by chemicals, heat or trauma such as brushing through tangles, pieces of the cuticle chip off and expose the delicate cortex. Without it’s cuticle as protection, hair kinks (frizz) and is weak and breaks easily. When this happens near the bottom of the shaft, the layers of the exposed inner cortex start to peel and fray (split ends). The tear will travel up the shaft and eventually the shaft breaks. This is why it can be almost impossible for some people to grow their hair long. It just keeps breaking!

To repair the damage, you need to replace the missing keratin protein. Our collagen treatment is a unique product, and is the only one of it’s kind on the market that is just pure protein, nothing else. It has a low molecular weight so that it can work it’s way down to the cortex and protect the hair shaft from breakage by replacing the hair’s lost protective cuticle. Unlike the Brazilian and other salon keratin straightening treatments, there is no long process of drying and straightening and then letting it cure for days after a treatment. And this will NOT STRAIGHTEN YOUR HAIR. Our collagen treatment is very simply a process to repair damaged hair. It’s easy to do at home, takes very little time, and is only needed about twice a month. After application there are no restrictions, you may style your hair as usual and even wear it in a ponytail. Results last up to 1 month.

Last edited:
More info from listing below:

So, how exactly does it work? The liquid collagen adheres to the hair shaft and coats each strand like a nail polish would a fingernail. It seals the shaft completely and builds up all the places where the keratin has chipped off. Hair is once again silky, smooth, it feels healthy and lays nice with less flyaways. Some will notice that hair often looks thicker as well. When in liquid form, the protein is very sticky, this is why it must be mixed with conditioner, so that it can control the amount that adheres to the hair, and that it coats evenly and thinly with the proper amount of moisture. This is one time where less is more. The perfect amount of protein will be strong, yet still flexible when dry.

A close-up look at a hair shaft gives a better understanding of it's structure:

This is healthy hair -- the cuticle tightly and completely covers the hair shaft:

In damaged hair, you see places where the keratin cuticle has chipped off, exposing the cortex. Over time, the damage gets worse and worse until the hair breaks.

Works for any hair type; curly, straight, kinky, thin, coarse, etc.

What to expect:
After the application, wet hair will feel a bit tacky, this is because the protein is still wet/soft. Once dry, it feels silky. Although the protein will dry over time on it’s own, for best results it is recommended that you completely blow dry your hair after application. Using the hottest setting will help “set” the protein faster, and using a brush to smooth the hair while drying will also improve results. It is a step that will take an extra 15-20 minutes at most, but the results will be well worth it. The way I look at it ~ if something is worth doing at all, it should at least be done right. As your hair dries, you will see the transformation as it goes from the dry feeling to silky and smooth. After the first blow out, you can return to your normal routine and do whatver you like with your hair. If you plan to color your hair, doing a treatment a few days before will keep your hair from being damaged, and it will also be able to take and hold color much better. Same for relaxers and perms – both are very damaging to hair, so a treatment beforehand will save your hair! If you have very curly hair and are unable to blow it out smooth, it is recommended to use a diffuser attachment on your blow drier so the heat is still applied and the protein is set. If unable to blow dry, air drying will not hurt anything, but it may take up to 2 days for protein to completely set and to notice the changes.

Q & A from listing:

Q: Hi. I'm wondering whether to use your product or go for a "Brazilian Keratin Treatment". Whats the difference between your product and salons offering "Brazilian Keratin Treatment"? I just want healthy shiny hair. I have wavy frizzy hair, I don't want straight hair just smooth non-frizzy hair that I can flat iron or blow dry easily. Please advise me as to what to get. Also how many oz do I get with these 3 vials? Thanks. Dec-20-09

A: Hi there - NO. This is different. This is simply a damage treatment, it will not straighten your hair. This is a repair product that replaces lost keratin on the hair shaft with collagen protein. Each treatment lasts about 2 weeks. It coats the hair with very strong protein and it protects hair from breakage and helps to make it feel silky and healthy again. Since it doesn't alter texture too much, if your hair is kinky, you would still probably have frizz, but if your hair is only wavy, you could see a reduction of frizz. This is not applied directly to the hair because it's sold in the concentrated formula. You mix 1 treatment with a moisture conditioner and apply to the hair, then cover with plastic for 15-20 minutes. Then you rinse it out and blowdry your hair completely. By using a straightening iron or hot rollers/curling iron after the hair is dry you will also help to "set" the protein and the smoother you can get your hair, then it'll remain smoother until the treatment wears off. I have curly hair that I bleach. This helps me tremendously, makes my hair look silky and keeps my hair from breaking so it "grows" a lot faster.

Q: Hi, I was just wondering how much conditioner do you mix with one bottle of keratin and how often you can do the treatment? Thank you.

A: The treatments are packaged individually. You mix a treatment with enough conditioner to cover your amount of hair. Detailed instructions come with the product.

Q: Do you have to mix it with your conditioner and then rinse it off or instead of the conditioner you use this and leave it on or you just use the vial application as after shampoo and rinse off thanks so much for the explanation Oct-08-09

A: HI~ You absolutely must mix it with conditioner. This is solid protein - and it's really potent. If you put it straight on your hair it would be like superglue and wreck your hair! There are detailed instructions that come with it, but basically here is how it works: you have to mix it with conditioner, enough to cover your hair nicely, and set that aside in a bowl/cup. You wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo, then towel dry a little, then put the protein/conditioner mix on it. The conditioner's job is to make sure the protein is distributed thinly and evenly on all of the hair and it provides necessary moisture to keep the protein flexible. You cover it with a shower cap or plastic bag for 20-30 minutes, then rinse it out (not wash). Then just dry your hair and you're good to go! Lasts about 2 weeks.

Q: I have Alopecia from an unknown origin. (no medical insurance). 75% of my hair is gone. I am full-time wearing hats/scarves. With the bit of hair I have left...will this help? And maybe I can get a re-growth of hair? Can you recommend anything to help me? Thank you. God bless. Dec-10-09

A: Hi there. This is a product that took 5 years to create, and it was meant as a damage repair and preventative product. But independent studies DO show that collagen has been known to stimulate hair growth. I can say that since I have been using this, my hair does seem to grow much faster - almost like when I was pregnant and taking the prenatal vitamins. Is it eh collagen protein in this? I don't know. But it would be worth a shot to try? As long as you don't have a formaldehyde allergy. It doesn't have formaldehyde, but has a preservative that does release trace amounts. And since you don't know the origin of your Alopecia, who knows - I guess it could be anything?? But if you were to try this, I would suggest mixing one of the single use vials with about 16 ounces of conditioner, and just use it daily or however often you wash your hair, as you would a normal hair conditioner. Apply, let it sit for a minute or 2, then rinse it out. After a month or so, if it's going to work, you should see something happening.

Q: can pregnant women use this product? Nov-12-09

A: Hello - The protein element is very safe, however the preservative might be something a pregnant woman, or one breastfeeding, might want to avoid. The preservative is dmdm hydantoin.

Last edited:
well I haven't had this particular product, and she doesn't even list the brand on the posting, just that its collagen, concentrated collagen repair treatments are readily available. It is unlike BKT because it contains no formaldehyde and therefore does not straighten the hair as much as it forms a protective seal over the damaged cuticle layer.

.....its a protein treatment

well I haven't had this particular product, and she doesn't even list the brand on the posting, just that its collagen, concentrated collagen repair treatments are readily available. It is unlike BKT because it contains no formaldehyde and therefore does not straighten the hair as much as it forms a protective seal over the damaged cuticle layer.

Yes, I see now that it is not like the BKT. What are some other concentrated collagen repair treatments? I thought she didn't list the name because she developed it herself, but I could be wrong???

When researching BKT I remember reading that DMDM hydantoin is also a form of formaldehyde. It actually releases formaldehyde that kills micro organisms, hence its use in a lot of beauty products.

Check out this wiki

Yes, I see now that it is not like the BKT. What are some other concentrated collagen repair treatments? I thought she didn't list the name because she developed it herself, but I could be wrong???

Crede ID Care Liquid PPT is one I have been researching.

Crede ID Care Liquid PPT
Crede ID Care Liquid PPT.Repair Your Hair! Use this treatment on clean dry hair only once or twice a month. Moisten hair with this solution, they apply heat for 20 minutes. Your hair will feel soft and rejuvinated. This product is also great to use before color or perm. Your color will look amazing and last longer. Color is designed to stick to Keratin which is one of the main ingredients in this product(and in hair) as well as collagen. This treatment should be used right after Thermal Reconditioning if you have any frizzy hairs.

I would really like to try it. I like the fact that unlike BKT it doesn't require the use of a flat iron.

When researching BKT I remember reading that DMDM hydantoin is also a form of formaldehyde. It actually releases formaldehyde that kills micro organisms, hence its use in a lot of beauty products.

Check out this wiki

Thanks for posting that link JayJay. I wonder the percentage of the preservative in the product...

Crede ID Care Liquid PPT is one I have been researching.

Crede ID Care Liquid PPT
Crede ID Care Liquid PPT.Repair Your Hair! Use this treatment on clean dry hair only once or twice a month. Moisten hair with this solution, they apply heat for 20 minutes. Your hair will feel soft and rejuvinated. This product is also great to use before color or perm. Your color will look amazing and last longer. Color is designed to stick to Keratin which is one of the main ingredients in this product(and in hair) as well as collagen. This treatment should be used right after Thermal Reconditioning if you have any frizzy hairs.

I just recived this in the mail yesterday: (1)Crede ID Care Liquid PPT and (2) Crede ID Care Heat Silk Lotion. The first one is a treatment (a golden brown liquid with very faint soy sauce smell--reminds me of the redken protein treatment) and the second one is a heat protectant (kind of creamy/slimy texture, pleasant conditioner smell).

I haven't used either one yet because (1) I'm really busy at workand home this week and, more importantly, the instructions on the package are SOOO ambiguous and ridiculously translated [These are Japanese products] that I don't know what to do!

I'm currently researching the web to see if I can find more detail on the application process. I'm excited that hydrolyzed keratin and collagen are at the top of the ingredient list but I have to figure out the best way to use this. I'll keep you guys posted.

P.S. If anyone else knows about these products, please share your knowledge!

Last edited:
I havent tried it either. Thanks alot for posting it seems very interesting, Im also going to look into it, collagen/protien that can stick to your hair is never bad IMO.

Q: can you tell me the ingredients in the keratin protein treatment? thanks!

A: Hello. There are a lot of competitors who try to copycat the product, so we do not share the exact formula. For safety reasons however, I do disclose the preservatives. It contains the following preservatives: Methylparaben, Propylparaben and DMDM Hydantoin

lilkoi - did you use this yet?

My review of Crede ID Care Keratin Collagen PPT (NOT the Ebay babyface collagen):

Yes! I used it last Thursday and, again, today. I did a moisture DC on dry hair for ~20 min, then air dried my hair. When it was ~90% dry ( I couldn't wait) I sectioned my hair and lightly applied the Crede ppt. It's a runny liquid but it has a pump dispenser that makes it some out foamy. I had mentioned the solution smelled like soy sauce a bit, but today I realized the smell was actually kinda "fishy" :perplexed .As I applied with my finger and the combed to distribute my then frizzy/crispy relaxed hair became really smooth and supple, slightly oily. This was unexpected from a hardcore protein treatment. As I applied to other sections, the previous sections were quickly drying. The instructions say at this point you should used heat (low temp iron of hair dryer) to set the protein. I used my babyliss nano flat iron on the lowest setting (310º--I wished it had a lower setting). With the first pass the hair hardened a bit but by the second pass it was really soft. Oh, and the funny smell was gone!

The silk heat protectant was more of a "meh" experience, but then again I generally dislike heat protectant cause they make my thin hair feel coated. I used it only once. To be fair, I like the fact that it's creamy and moist feeling, not "silicony" but I'll have to try it again to give it a fair review.

The ppt is definitely a keeper! All the benefit of Aphogee 2 step without the mess. And I feel you end up with more protein on your hair cause you don't rinse it off. I read on some forum some stylist saying you keep this stuff on for 20 minutes then rinse it off. My intructions didn't mention rinsing at all. And my hair felt soft the way i did it.

It's too soon to tell if this will save me from all the breaking I've been experiencing. My hair is so thin right now :sad: but I have high hopes. So far so good.
Oh, I should mention, the one thing I don't like much is the price: $32 for 8 oz. But I figure I'll get at least 10-12 treatments (neck length hair) which retail for $60-90 in salons (usually used to treat hair damaged by Japanese straighteners).

BTW, I feel ebay babyface collagen is kind of a rip off. She doesn't want to tell the ingredients because it's nothing more than collagen (which is cheap) maybe some keratin (cheap too) and a preservative. Not worth it, IMO.

Last edited:
Collagen..............hmmmmmmm...... think ladies.... Knox gelatin, is.........collagen..... Facy packaging is many times, just that......

Collagen..............hmmmmmmm...... think ladies.... Knox gelatin, is.........collagen..... Facy packaging is many times, just that......

I Know! I was all excited because I've got some in my pantry, but I really don't know how to prepare for hair use. I suspect you shouldn't let it boil when dissolving, but I'm afraid maybe it shouldn't be heated at all.

Do you know how to do it? For my first experiment (yesterday) I soaked an envelopof gelatin into 3/4 cup of water for a few min, then microwaved for less than a min and it started foaming/boiling over. I put it in a tupperware and stored at romm temp. The next morning this yielded a smelly, giant, gummy-bear-like puck! I'm glad I didn't put any on my hair! :lachen:

Last edited:
I Know! I was all excited because I've got some in my pantry, but I really don't know how to prepare for hair use. I suspect you shouldn't let it boil when dissolving, but I'm afraid maybe it shouldn't be heated at all.

Do you know how to do it? For my first experiment (yesterday) I soaked an envelopof gelatin into 3/4 cup of water for a few min, then microwaved for less than a min and it started foaming/boiling over. I put it in a tupperware and stored at romm temp. The next morning this yielded a smelly, giant, gummy-bear-like puck! I'm glad I didn't put any on my hair! :lachen:

I suppose you mix it as normal. There are threads here about Knox Gelati as protien treatments........................

BTW, I feel ebay babyface collagen is kind of a rip off. She doesn't want to tell the ingredients because it's nothing more than collagen (which is cheap) maybe some keratin (cheap too) and a preservative. Not worth it, IMO.

Interesting theory on the ingredients, but not true.

After reading your posts, I thought it was time to give a little bit of an update on this product. Funny, as I'm reading the posts here, I actually do remember answering all of those questions :)

Here is the scoop on my protein treatment. The reason it was repackaged like that is because it was a very expensive professional use only treatment that salons charged up to $250 a pop for. I had to keep the brand name a secret because otherwise it would have caused trouble for the maker with the salons they sold to (who liked to charge so much for the treatments).

But that is all in the past, because now the product is getting a complete packaging make-over because BABYFACE Skin Care is the new owner of the product and formula, and will be offering it at a consumer level now, instead of professionals only - as it was before.

There is nothing "cheap" about this product, and it cannot be duplicated by any homemade products. This is professionally made by a cosmetic formulator, and the unique preparation in how it is "cooked" is where the real secret is. It is specially prepared so that it is able to penetrate the entire hair shaft, down to the cortex. It doesn't just coat the hair. It penetrates completely. It was originally created by 2 stylists (1 was African American, so, yes, it was designed for ALL hair types) who were tired of wasting money on big name products that were all hype, but that did not deliver. Together, with a scientist trained in hair care formulation, it took them five years to get this just perfect. It is no ordinary "protein treatment" and it's results will far exceed any traditional salon protein treatment.

Now that BABYFACE is the new owner of the product, it will soon have new packaging. Our eBay feedback is a good place to see people's opinions on this, and whether or not it actually works. I can barely keep it in stock, and right now I have to limit customers to no more than 2 per person until our new packaging comes in. I sell it all over the world, and the official debut has not even happened yet. We're very excited for the launch, needless to say.

Feel free to ask me any questions (if there are any left?) I am always honest with my answers. If I think something is good for you, I'll tell you, but if I don't think it's the right product for you, I'll be honest with that too. I won't tell you it is perfect for you if it's not, just to sell product. The whole point is for people to find products that work for them, and not waste money.

Back