Ayurvedic ladies, I have a question for ya....

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
I know that a few of you have been mixing amla along with shikakai powders for a good wash/rinse. Have any of you ever mixed shikakai with henna? And if so, how did it work for ya?

I mixed a tablespoon of shikakai and a tablespoon of amla with my last henna. I didn't see any significant difference from using it alone...:ohwell:

I've considered it, but I'm nervous - I know shikakai is drying, and henna is definitely drying, and they are both 'cleansing' herbs - I'm worried it could be overkill - esp. considering how LONG I leave my henna on.... :ohwell:

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone DID try it though, and how their hair reacted...

I do. I actually mix a bunch of them: henna, indigo, shikakai, amla, and sometimes aritha for extra cleansing. (I'm waiting to throw cassia, brahmi, and bhringraj powder in the mix when I get them...:look:) Each powder has its own benefit, so instead of doing separate treatments, I just mix them. I figure I've had good results using them alone...they're all powders....why not just mix 'em?

Although some of these powders can be drying, I only add them to hair saturated in oil, and the mixture is mixed with 40 parts water and 60 parts oil (I make enough for about 6-8 washes) to off-set the dryness.

It works great, I highly recommend trying it.

I do. I actually mix a bunch of them: henna, indigo, shikakai, amla, and sometimes aritha for extra cleansing. (I'm waiting to throw cassia, brahmi, and bhringraj powder in the mix when I get them...:look:) Each powder has its own benefit, so instead of doing separate treatments, I just mix them. I figure I've had good results using them alone...they're all powders....why not just mix 'em?

Although some of these powders can be drying, I only add them to hair saturated in oil, and the mixture is mixed with 40 parts water and 60 parts oil (I make enough for about 6-8 washes) to off-set the dryness.

It works great, I highly recommend trying it.
I've heard that aritha is far more drying than shikakai or henna. How does your hair feel after using it, especially when mixed with all those other drying ingredients? I thought about adding henna to shikakai, but I'm scared of having dry, hard, brittle hair afterwards. I'm doing a shikakai wash this morning, and I saturated my hair with amla oil last night and left it in. I have yet to do a henna treatment, I'm kinda scared being that I've heard so much about it being drying on the hair. I've also heard of henna's good conditioning properties, but just scared to try one yet.

I've heard that aritha is far more drying than shikakai or henna. How does your hair feel after using it, especially when mixed with all those other drying ingredients? I thought about adding henna to shikakai, but I'm scared of having dry, hard, brittle hair afterwards. I'm doing a shikakai wash this morning, and I saturated my hair with amla oil last night and left it in. I have yet to do a henna treatment, I'm kinda scared being that I've heard so much about it being drying on the hair. I've also heard of henna's good conditioning properties, but just scared to try one yet.
My hair feels heavenly after using this stuff :grin: Honestly, what made the difference for me was putting this mixture on hair that is saturated with oil. Also, my mixture has to have more oil than water. My hair does not feel dry or stripped at all; I don't even want to dc, but I do it anyway.

My hair feels heavenly after using this stuff :grin: Honestly, what made the difference for me was putting this mixture on hair that is saturated with oil. Also, my mixture has to have more oil than water. My hair does not feel dry or stripped at all; I don't even want to dc, but I do it anyway.
Thanks kiesha, I'll keep this in mind. I'm still thinking of ways to mix things up and I'm looking to try out some different recipes.

I mix shikakai powder with henna, and my hair likes it. I usually add some CON conditioner right before I put it on my head, and I have no problem washing it out. I do not DC before or after I put it on my head because it washes out so easily, and my hair does not feel overly dry, that I don't think I need it!

HTH.

Back