***AYURVEDA WARNING***Shikai-Co Wash

I used it w/ conditioner, amla powder, amla oil, coconut, almond, grapeseed oil. Maybe I used to much powder, I will tone it down tonight though, and see if that helps. Thanks.

Oh you should be good then... don't forget to post your results, I'm interested in hearing if your hair came out softer.

Hi Denver Girl! I just made a Shikakai, Amla, and Brahmi Co-Wash mix. I used your recipe but I used equal parts (1/3 bag of each). I plan to try this in the morning.

Thanks again!

let me know how it turns out! :)

Ok. I made my 1st batch of the co-wash and used it on Monday. I noticed that it was really runny. So I shaked to mix and it was still runny. Not to mention that my hair felt hard after it rinse it out. I mixed 12 oz bottle of Suave Hum. conditioner, 1 tsp of Shik.. and Aritha each, 2 tbsp of coconut oil, and a small cap of tea tree. Did I do something wrong? I'm going to do the mix again, but make it a trial size.

for a thicker mix, use less oil. also, i've never used aritha so maybe that contibuted to the runniness, too??? did you leave the mix on your hair for any length of time?

i do not leave this in for any length of time. i use it like shampoo and focus primarily on my scalp and less on my hair - just as i would shampoo.

I did my 1st wash last night, and noticed it was really runny too. My hair was hard, and felt squeeky afterwards, so I used another conditioner to soften my hair. This morning after I let it airdry, it was a little dryer than normal. I am not giving up on this mix, just gonna tweak it a bit. I will mix in a more moisturizing conditioner and more oils. I think the peppermint/rosemary might have been the cause the dryness.

I do like the mix, just need a better outcome.

for a thicker mix, use less oil. and how long are you leaving this on your hair?

i primarily focus on my scalp and use this like a shampoo rather than a "deep/instant conditioner"

i reccommend to ALWAYS conduct a patch test before trying new poducts and product mixes on your hair/scalp.

CandyC strongly recommended NOT using Shakhai by itself - that may have something to do with the hard results...

i have never experienced hard OR dry hair using this. please, ladies, conduct patch tests prior to using ANY new products or prodcut mixes on your hair/scalp. and feel free to experiment with the proportions and/or ingredients that you are using until you get the desired results.

i LOVE my Shikai-Co wash. i tried a regular CW a couple of weeks ago, and my hair felt very coated like i needed to clarify.

i find that when i use this to CW, i don't need to clarify as often and it keeps my scalp free of residue and build up.

HTH and keep me posted! :up:

Last edited:
Okay, I tried my co-wash mix. Here are my thoughts:

*I like the Rosemary Peppermint scent. It even tingled a little when I used it. Hope I didn't use too much.

*It was too runny, though. Next time, I'll use less coconut oil.

*When I applied it, my hair felt kind of "weird":perplexed at first. I scritched for a few minutes, rinsed then did a second application. After I rinsed the second time, my hair felt different. It was so SOFT!

*I sealed with AMLA GOLD. I'm letting it air day now so I'll report back when it dries.

So far, it think it's a keeper! I plan to use this atleast 2-3 times a week.

Ok. I made my 1st batch of the co-wash and used it on Monday. I noticed that it was really runny. So I shaked to mix and it was still runny. Not to mention that my hair felt hard after it rinse it out. I mixed 12 oz bottle of Suave Hum. conditioner, 1 tsp of Shik.. and Aritha each, 2 tbsp of coconut oil, and a small cap of tea tree. Did I do something wrong? I'm going to do the mix again, but make it a trial size.

I've puzzled over your mix a bit and I'm wondering if you put the powders directly into the conditioners (ie didn't make a tea 1st)? If you did, you might have alot of powder residue on your hair. 2 tsps of powder is alot to put directly on your head even w/ a conditioner. You have to be concerned about powder suspension (getting it evenly distributed in the bottle) and all that. IOW, you might just have too much powder still left over and could benefit from some more plain water rinsing.

Then there's the tea tree....a capful is alot even for that much carrier. Tea Tree is rather astringent (used for oily conditions in hair and skin) so maybe you simply dried your hair out (again remember suspension issues) using that much. You could have gotten a huge blast of either/or powders or EO and that produced this condition.

Here's what I'd do: I'd make a nice well strained tea of my powders and then add "the water" to whatever conditioner I planned to use. If I were going to use tea tree EO (I wouldn't, I'd use rosemary) I'd add a few drops to my doctored conditioner right before use and mix in well. When adding to such a small amount, 3-5 drops is sufficient.

This way, you can control your quantities more and not end up w/ things being too concentrated cuz none of these things should produce "hard" hair!

BTW, what's scritched mean?

i have never experienced hard OR dry hair using this. please, ladies, conduct patch tests prior to using ANY new products or prodcut mixes on your hair/scalp. and feel free to experiment with the proportions and/or ingredients that you are using until you get the desired results.

i LOVE my Shikai-Co wash. i tried a regular CW a couple of weeks ago, and my hair felt very coated like i needed to clarify.

i find that when i use this to CW, i don't need to clarify as often and it keeps my scalp free of residue and build up.

HTH and keep me posted! :up:

Co-signing DG! Shikakai powder has always left my hair soft and strong. I don't mix it with conditioner, just coconut milk and coconut oil, but I still never have a problem with dryness. Amla dried my hair out soooo bad. It's highly acidic so be careful with it.

*I like the Rosemary Peppermint scent. It even tingled a little when I used it. Hope I didn't use too much.

*When I applied it, my hair felt kind of "weird":perplexed at first. I scritched for a few minutes, rinsed then did a second application. After I rinsed the second time, my hair felt different. It was so SOFT!

*I sealed with AMLA GOLD. I'm letting it air day now so I'll report back when it dries.

Update:

My hair feels soft but I think I need a little more moisture.:ohwell: I'm still going to continue using this but I need to tweak it a little more. Thanks again, Denver.

I've puzzled over your mix a bit and I'm wondering if you put the powders directly into the conditioners (ie didn't make a tea 1st)? If you did, you might have alot of powder residue on your hair. 2 tsps of powder is alot to put directly on your head even w/ a conditioner. You have to be concerned about powder suspension (getting it evenly distributed in the bottle) and all that. IOW, you might just have too much powder still left over and could benefit from some more plain water rinsing.

Then there's the tea tree....a capful is alot even for that much carrier. Tea Tree is rather astringent (used for oily conditions in hair and skin) so maybe you simply dried your hair out (again remember suspension issues) using that much. You could have gotten a huge blast of either/or powders or EO and that produced this condition.

Here's what I'd do: I'd make a nice well strained tea of my powders and then add "the water" to whatever conditioner I planned to use. If I were going to use tea tree EO (I wouldn't, I'd use rosemary) I'd add a few drops to my doctored conditioner right before use and mix in well. When adding to such a small amount, 3-5 drops is sufficient.

This way, you can control your quantities more and not end up w/ things being too concentrated cuz none of these things should produce "hard" hair!

i mixed everything in a bowl and used a whisk, per denvergirl's directions. only thing is that i used a smaller amount of conditioner, added another kind of powder and used tea tree. i'm going to make another mix w/o the tea tree and aritha. hopefully that will be better.

i mixed everything in a bowl and used a whisk, per denvergirl's directions. only thing is that i used a smaller amount of conditioner, added another kind of powder and used tea tree. i'm going to make another mix w/o the tea tree and aritha. hopefully that will be better.

Oh my, I misread aritha as amla. Ok DEFINITELY take out the aritha! You use that only to wash your hair because it acts like soap (it's alternative name is soapnut), so it's not appropriate for a co wash, IMHO. Unless you have a tendency to oily scalp or tons of dandruff, the tea tree is probably better left out too. If you just want an EO, try rosemary...but a small amount.

Update:

My hair feels soft but I think I need a little more moisture.:ohwell: I'm still going to continue using this but I need to tweak it a little more. Thanks again, Denver.

What conditioner did you use as your "base"? You might try a different one next time. Try it w/o the peppermint EO too just to see.

I seal with the Amla Gold, too, after each CW. I also make sure I "moisturize" my hair afterward prior to sealing. :up:

"scratched" basically...

Update:

you are welcome!

i still moisturize daily and DC once per week. but you would be suprised after using this for a while how moisturized your hair really is even though it doesn't "feel" moisturized.

thanks for the feedback, platinum! :up:

What conditioner did you use as your "base"? You might try a different one next time. Try it w/o the peppermint EO too just to see.

I used Suave "Humectant" condish (the less expensive version of the Nexxus kind). The same one Denvergirl used in her recipe. I'm thinking of adding more conditioner next time. I have to admit, my hair DOES feel a little stronger.:yep: I wish I knew about this recipe sooner.:wallbash:

Platinum..Try it again w/ Suave and if that doesn't work by itself, just add another you like. Getting the moisture balance w/ a new element is a bit tricky sometimes.

Platinum..Try it again w/ Suave and if that doesn't work by itself, just add another you like. Getting the moisture balance w/ a new element is a bit tricky sometimes.

Okay. I'll try it again. This is the first time I've used this conditioner, I hope this works for me.

Oh my, I misread aritha as amla. Ok DEFINITELY take out the aritha! You use that only to wash your hair because it acts like soap (it's alternative name is soapnut), so it's not appropriate for a co wash, IMHO. Unless you have a tendency to oily scalp or tons of dandruff, the tea tree is probably better left out too. If you just want an EO, try rosemary...but a small amount.

oh yes. so i threw the other mix out and made another yesterday. i mixed 1 cup of conditioner, 1 tsp of shikai powder, 2 tsp of coconut oil. used it and my hair turned out a little better. then this morning i sprayed a lil s-curl. now my hair feel like butter.

oh yes. so i threw the other mix out and made another yesterday. i mixed 1 cup of conditioner, 1 tsp of shikai powder, 2 tsp of coconut oil. used it and my hair turned out a little better. then this morning i sprayed a lil s-curl. now my hair feel like butter.

Purrrrfect! :grin:

Platinum..IDEA. Take your fav moisturizing condish and do a mix w/ the Suave concoction. It occurred to me that your hair might not like humectants much, so you have a known and unknown to work w/. If I'm right about the humectants, try it w/ just your fav condish and it should be tons better!

Platinum..IDEA. Take your fav moisturizing condish and do a mix w/ the Suave concoction. It occurred to me that your hair might not like humectants much, so you have a known and unknown to work w/. If I'm right about the humectants, try it w/ just your fav condish and it should be tons better!

Okay, I'll try adding V05 Moisture Milk Passionfruit Smoothie and see how that works. Thanks!:look:

Tried this with white rain coconut condish, coconut oil, and some coconut milk and it turned out good...Nice, strong, "coconutty" hair....Thanks

after reading this thread - now i see why my hair came out super squeaky after leaving a pasted mix consisting of maining shikakai in my hair for two hours. ouch - live and learn. thanks for sharing this!

I love this thread and thank you for all your informative threads! I mixed Brahmi and shika powder. with castor oil, and vatika coconut oil. My hair is so soft, I can't stop touching it!:blush: Also, it made my new growth so curly, it was so defined. Nothing has made my curl def show up so clear and it stayed like that after it dried.:drunk: This is my new regimen now and I will most likely use it 2X a week . I am using the vatika coconut oil daily as an oil rinse. Results, super soft hair and no shedding.

I tried this again today. I added some Suave Extreme Strength condition (Blue bottle-similar to Redken formula), honey, and Soft Sheen-Carson Dry Hair Healer Cholesterol Condish with Shea Butter. I didn't measure it though.:wallbash: I added this to the mix that I already had and I feel a BIG difference. My hair is so soft!:grin: I love this! I'm definetely making this a staple! Thank you so much, Denvergirl! :kiss:

Okay I use the teas and allow the shikkaki/amla tea to sit on my hair for 2 minutes, dc, air dry with my hair pinned up in the back. I noticed that my hair has started thinning in the area where I french roll and pin my hair. Do you think the tea rinses are stronger than the co-wash?

I tea rinse using candy c's method about 2 to 3 times a week. Love the method but hate the hair thinning. Maybe I should concentrate more on the scalp and less on the hair. Need a little help. Thanks.

Or could it be the protective styling?

Back