***AYURVEDA WARNING***Shikai-Co Wash

Great recipe. Very helpful. :yep:

Word of warning, thats too much essential oil. Essential oils can be dangerous especially at those amounts. All you actually need are drops not teaspoons. If you have any health conditions or pregnant please do not use rosemary or other essential oils unless you make sure its ok to use in your present condition (whatever that is).

Hey DenverGirl where did you get that huge bucket of coconut oil and how much did it cost you?

I go through that stuff so fast. Buying it in bulk will be economically correct I like to think :thumbsup:

Simply brilliant, so simple to do. Thanks for sharing with us, DenverGirl.
I'm gonna try this next week.
I also wonder where you get this bucket of coconut oil :look:...that's my fav with castor oil so I really need to think about buying in bulk

Last edited:
:angry2: why did i come in here:wallbash:...my hubb just put a 12wk do not buy on me...so ordering is not in the equation for me....:crying3:...i'm leaving...(me whinning) you ladies go ahead and enjoy your shi-ka-kaiiii:crying3:

Word of warning, thats too much essential oil. Essential oils can be dangerous especially at those amounts. All you actually need are drops not teaspoons. If you have any health conditions or pregnant please do not use rosemary or other essential oils unless you make sure its ok to use in your present condition (whatever that is).

Can you explain how this is too much since she is using 1 to 2 cups of coconut oil and 12 oz of conditioner?

Last edited:

Thanks for that. I agree that it would be too much EO if you were making an 8 or 10 oz portion of this, however that is not the case here. In order to get benefits of EOs, you need to adjust the amount that you are using according to the volume of what you are putting it in.

For example, if you were making an 8-oz batch you would use only a few drops, but for an amount that is nearly 3 times that (which is what I am using here), the EO usage must be adjusted accordingly.

I have been using this consistently with no adverse affects on my hair, skin or my health.

If you are concerned about the amount of EO that I suggested, please feel free to alter this recipe to fit your individual needs. Also, I would heavily suggest conducting a patch test before using any new products on your hair/scalp.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Last edited:
Simply brilliant, so simple to do. Thnaks for sharing with us, DenverGirl.
I'm gonna try this next week.
I also wonder where you get this bucket of coconut oil :look:...that's my fav with castor oil so I really need to think about buyng in bulk

I got that bucket of coconut oil from Mountain Rose Herbs online. I LOVES coconut oil for my hair and use a ton of it, so I figured that I would buy a ton! :grin:

Hey DenverGirl where did you get that huge bucket of coconut oil and how much did it cost you?

I go through that stuff so fast. Buying it in bulk will be economically correct I like to think :thumbsup:

I got it from Mountain Rose Herbs online, I can't remember how much it cost. I love that bucket, it has lasted me for a long time and I frequently use coconut oil on my hair and my 2 DDs hair...

Heyyy!

thanks so much for that recipe DenverGirl!! :yep:

I'm so happy because I already have ALL of those ingredients at home, ESPECIALLY since I'm on the 'buynothing' challenge!!!! :look:

I can't wait to co-wash again tomorrow! :grin:

*two thumbs up*

So to the ladies who use this mixture, how does it make your hair feel? How often do you use it?
Oh and to contribute towards this thread, Parachute makes coconut oil in large tubs around a liter or so and up for around $7 and up at some local Indian groceries. I'd imagine that it's much cheaper than the stuff online, it's in the same blue packaging as the bottles too. HTHS!

This is an awesome idea
I want to get into more CWing over the summer and I think this will help withmy ng
I think I will try this and get some amla powder and mix it with the suave coconut conditioner I just purchased.
Thank you! :)

question: should this mix be kept in the fridge?

I added tea tree oil and vitamin e to my mix. should I put it in the fridge?

TIA

Thanks for bumping this!:yep: I have a few unopened boxes of Amla, Brahmi, and Shikaikai. I never used them because I thought it may be too "time-consuming" but this sounds perfect! Subscribing...:yep:

thank you so much for posting. i had my powders for weeks now, and forgot the reason for me buying them. a pure-breed PJ.

YES! Just use equal parts of whatever powders you want to use. It is a great way to get the benefits of the powders w/o all the mess of making teas and pastes.

Yay! Thank you! :clapping::nicethread:This will be just in time for my regimen to begin. How often do you use this?

I am too lazy with my hair for rinses, but I knew that these powders did amazing things for hair health and growth. That is why I just threw everything into my CW so I could have a "one stop shop!" :grin:

I'm all for one stop shop. I don't like to spend a whole lot of time on my hair, yet, I want to do everything necessary to keep it healthy. Thanks for the recipe. Will definitely try this.:grin:

TIA

If you plan on using this in a reasonable amount of time, no you don't have to fridge it. Vitamin E is a natural preservative. If you don't want to fridge it, but want to make some for later use, simply add a decent amount of E and it'll keep.

I dont have much cocnut oil left and I am waiting for my order to come in can I use Amla oil instead or another oil?

Yes, you can.

Last edited:
Ok I am still learning about the ayurvedic regime. I just made my first batch of Shikai/Amla Conditioner. I also bought a coffee maker, just made my first tea rinse too. So hopefully I will have great benefits from the Indian powders. I already love Henna.

1 bottle of Cheap Conditioner--Suave Vanilla
couple teaspoons of Shikai
couple teaspoons of Amla
Grapeseed Oil
Amla Oil
Peppermint
Rosemary

My son is mixing now...he is intrigued by my laboratory :lachen:He loves when I get to mixing.

Thanks OP

TIA

i do not keep mine in the fridge. the vit e, rosemary as well as the preservatives in the actual conditioner should keep your mix as long as the conditioner would keep.

hth!

I dont have much cocnut oil left and I am waiting for my order to come in can I use Amla oil instead or another oil?

you can use what ever oil you want :yep:

Yay! Thank you! :clapping::nicethread:This will be just in time for my regimen to begin. How often do you use this?

i use this 6 days per week

Ok I am still learning about the ayurvedic regime. I just made my first batch of Shikai/Amla Conditioner. I also bought a coffee maker, just made my first tea rinse too. So hopefully I will have great benefits from the Indian powders. I already love Henna.

1 bottle of Cheap Conditioner--Suave Vanilla
couple teaspoons of Shikai
couple teaspoons of Amla
Grapeseed Oil
Amla Oil
Peppermint
Rosemary

My son is mixing now...he is intrigued by my laboratory :lachen:He loves when I get to mixing.

Thanks OP

you are sooo welcome! now go ahead and UNLEASH that inner mixtress! :grin:

Hi Denver Girl! I just made a Shikakai, Amla, and Brahmi Co-Wash mix. I used your recipe but I used equal parts (1/3 bag of each). I plan to try this in the morning.

Thanks again!

Ok. I made my 1st batch of the co-wash and used it on Monday. I noticed that it was really runny. So I shaked to mix and it was still runny. Not to mention that my hair felt hard after it rinse it out. I mixed 12 oz bottle of Suave Hum. conditioner, 1 tsp of Shik.. and Aritha each, 2 tbsp of coconut oil, and a small cap of tea tree. Did I do something wrong? I'm going to do the mix again, but make it a trial size.

Ok. I made my 1st batch of the co-wash and used it on Monday. I noticed that it was really runny. So I shaked to mix and it was still runny. Not to mention that my hair felt hard after it rinse it out. I mixed 12 oz bottle of Suave Hum. conditioner, 1 tsp of Shik.. and Aritha each, 2 tbsp of coconut oil, and a small cap of tea tree. Did I do something wrong? I'm going to do the mix again, but make it a trial size.

I did my 1st wash last night, and noticed it was really runny too. My hair was hard, and felt squeeky afterwards, so I used another conditioner to soften my hair. This morning after I let it airdry, it was a little dryer than normal. I am not giving up on this mix, just gonna tweak it a bit. I will mix in a more moisturizing conditioner and more oils. I think the peppermint/rosemary might have been the cause the dryness.

I do like the mix, just need a better outcome.

CandyC strongly recommended NOT using Shakhai by itself - that may have something to do with the hard results...

CandyC strongly recommended NOT using Shakhai by itself - that may have something to do with the hard results...

I used it w/ conditioner, amla powder, amla oil, coconut, almond, grapeseed oil. Maybe I used to much powder, I will tone it down tonight though, and see if that helps. Thanks.

Back