Ayurveda Support Thread

Thanks a million. I saw these but had no idea that I could use them this way. I really appreciate it. I will be ordering them later. I just put them in my personalized shopping list for later.

No prob. The tea bags are also great for oil infusions. FNWL also sells large bags.

How much "shampoo" are yall making in one mix?....if you are mixing enough for more than one wash, how long do you keep it and where are you storing it?

I just mix it and if I have some left I put it in the fridge. Then I think Kiesha mentioned taking it out to warm during the day. I have kept it for 2 weeks in the fridge before.:look:

I am seeing some strange things going on with my hair. I relaxed my hair on Feb. 1 and began using Ayurveda powders a week after faithfully 2 to 3 times a week. Could this be new growth or a jacked-up retouch?

Attachments

• Computer Pictures 061.jpg
    Computer Pictures 061.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 87
  • Computer Pictures 060.jpg
    Computer Pictures 060.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 79
I just mix it and if I have some left I put it in the fridge. Then I think Kiesha mentioned taking it out to warm during the day. I have kept it for 2 weeks in the fridge before.:look:

This is nice to know that the poos will keep this long. I threw my leftovers out before which was a total waste. Now I'll refridgerate them for my next usage. I think I need to invest in a double boiler right now because I think Candy_C or Sareca said that you will ruin the mix if you warm it in the microwave oven.

Last edited:
This is nice to know that the poos will keep this long. I threw my leftovers out before which was a total waste. Now I'll refridgerate them for my next usage. I think I need to invest in a broiler right now because I think Candy_C or Sareca said that you will ruin the mix if you warm it in the microwave oven.

Yeah, I have added more boiling water (small bit) to the cold to warm it before. Letting it sit out made me think it was gonna spoil for some reason but I guess not.

I am seeing some strange things going on with my hair. I relaxed my hair on Feb. 1 and began using Ayurveda powders a week after faithfully 2 to 3 times a week. Could this be new growth or a jacked-up retouch?

Hi!!!! I have been using Indian/Ayurvedic powders for about 2 months and I definitely feel like my hair has both grown a little faster, and that it is much stronger and I am retaining length. It is not as dry as it has been in the past, and is much more shiny:grin:

Are yall still doing protein treatments too or do you feel you don't need a protein treatment since you are using herb rinses?

Are yall still doing protein treatments too or do you feel you don't need a protein treatment since you are using herb rinses?

guudhair this is a really good question and I want to know the answer to this as well.

What I will do is drastically cut out the protein I use and see how my hair responds to this.

guudhair this is a really good question and I want to know the answer to this as well.

What I will do is drastically cut out the protein I use and see how my hair responds to this.

you can still do an Ayurvedic protein treatment by adding your powders and/or oils to yogurt or if you do a tea rinse or paste, use an egg to help rinse it out...

I really haven't felt the need to for my hair. The powders seem to be doing the trick. I am deep conditioning more, though

very informative thread. I am going to slowly edge my way in. the products at the indian stores are mega cheap so it won't put me out to see how this method works for me.

thanks all!

I saw someone mention brewing the powders and seeds in a coffee maker... I wonder how good that would be... Im gonna invest in a $10 Walmart special to try it

Thanks, PRETTYFACE... Talk about information overload :drunk:- I almost feel like an expert after reading all those threads.

Still working on perfecting a reg. I can stick to. I think I'm almost there.

Im happy I have come across this thread because yesterday I decided to do a little search of indian grocery stores by me and surprisingly I found a bunch of them. So yesterday I made the trip to the store and purchased jasmine oil, brahmi oil, Reshma henna and my beloved shikakai bar which I have wanted from day one after hearing about ayurvedic methods. It was the funniest thing because of course the store is run by Indian men and women, mostly men. When I walked into the store I noticed a whole bunch of soaps behind the man at the cash register. So everyone is looking at me like " Is dis block cheek lost?" lol so I ask the man behind the counter if he sells the shikakai bar and he goes " Yes yes u have pronounced it cowwectly! The shikakai bar is vedy good for ya head, as is the henna". Im saying to myself, yea this man knows his stuff and the girls on LHCF would be proud of me because I will tell you this much.. it wasnt easy finding this daggone store but I was on a mission. It took me a whole hour to find this place, I had no gas in my car and my car was screaming for some Exxon oil lol. The first time I bought my vatika and amla oils , I bought them online. This store had everything I needed and then some. I was proud of myself.. so proud that when I got home I threw some jasmine oil in my hair and laid back on my pillow with a smile across my face. I cannot wait to try the shikakai bar but Im gonna wait to apply the henna because I dont trust myself with it too much. Whenever I deal with ANY type of powder I make a mess.

How soon can I start back using these powders after relaxing?

Kadija from Henna Sooq recommended that you wait 2 weeks but I know that Sareca has applied henna to her hair within a week of her relaxer and has had great success doing so.

Im happy I have come across this thread because yesterday I decided to do a little search of indian grocery stores by me and surprisingly I found a bunch of them. So yesterday I made the trip to the store and purchased jasmine oil, brahmi oil, Reshma henna and my beloved shikakai bar which I have wanted from day one after hearing about ayurvedic methods. It was the funniest thing because of course the store is run by Indian men and women, mostly men. When I walked into the store I noticed a whole bunch of soaps behind the man at the cash register. So everyone is looking at me like " Is dis block cheek lost?" lol so I ask the man behind the counter if he sells the shikakai bar and he goes " Yes yes u have pronounced it cowwectly! The shikakai bar is vedy good for ya head, as is the henna". Im saying to myself, yea this man knows his stuff and the girls on LHCF would be proud of me because I will tell you this much.. it wasnt easy finding this daggone store but I was on a mission. It took me a whole hour to find this place, I had no gas in my car and my car was screaming for some Exxon oil lol. The first time I bought my vatika and amla oils , I bought them online. This store had everything I needed and then some. I was proud of myself.. so proud that when I got home I threw some jasmine oil in my hair and laid back on my pillow with a smile across my face. I cannot wait to try the shikakai bar but Im gonna wait to apply the henna because I dont trust myself with it too much. Whenever I deal with ANY type of powder I make a mess.
Remember to oil your hair very well before using the shikakai bar and DC afterwards as it could make your hair a little dry, okay?

I just had to say this:
I've only done one oil rinse with Shikakai oil and two washes with Ayurveda powders and I cannot believe the shine my hair has now.
(Even though I was left with grains in my hair but I think I know how to deal with that now :drunk:)
Definately gonna keep doing this.

Remember to oil your hair very well before using the shikakai bar and DC afterwards as it could make your hair a little dry, okay?

I DOUBLE CO-SIGN ON THAT!!!

I finally realized why my hair came out so hard. I had not properly oiled my hair before use.

Best to everyone using Ayurveda hair methods. This is a great thread.

Subscribing!

Hi Medzmunky, welcome aboard honey. You know you and Lavendar are the two ayurveda queens I look to for help and tips in this area.

Last edited:

Thanks for the tip. I've got to remember to do that when I use my Shikakai Bar for the first time this weekend.

I've been using ayurvedic products for almost 4 weeks now and I'm totally loving it... esp the Vatika oil.

PS: By the way Aggie, lovely hair... please tell me it has to do with using Ayurvedic products and my hair will "grow up" to be like that:drunk:.

Thanks for the tip. I've got to remember to do that when I use my Shikakai Bar for the first time this weekend.

I've been using ayurvedic products for almost 4 weeks now and I'm totally loving it... esp the Vatika oil.

PS: By the way Aggie, lovely hair... please tell me it has to do with using Ayurvedic products and my hair will "grow up" to be like that:drunk:.

LOL, thanks talata. Ayurveda is strengthening and thickening my hair and adding quite a bit of shine so yes, if you stick with it, your hair will "grow up":grin:. Henna is wonderful. It smells awful, but the benefits are definitely fantastic enough for me to overlook it.

Good morning all!

For Brooklynites interested in buying Indian products and can't find it, here is some info.

I have found a store that sells all the Indian products on Coney Island Avenue and Avenue H. Prices excellent $1.99 for powders, 3.99 for large Vitaki Oil, etc.

I have a good relationship with the owner of the beauty supply store near my house so, I actually bought the products and took it to him. He was excited being of middle eastern descent and seemed familiar with the products. So he asked me to call the store where I bought the products and get his supplier's information.

Bottom line... I drove him to the supplier. The supplier is on 5303 4th Avenue and 53rd st. He sells wholesale and retail. And now my beauty supply store on Nostrand Avenue bet President and Carroll Sts. now carry the oils and powders as well.

So if you can't find it near you in Brooklyn please feel free to visit any of the locations I researched and listed above.

Has anyone tried any of these powders:
MAKA
KAPOOR KACHLI
KALPI TONE
If so, how did it go.

I haven't ordered it yet but the only one I intend to order is the kalpi tone because it has a perfect blend of amla, brahmi, shikakai, neem, kapur kachili and maka. If I can get all the powders I want in one box then that's the one I'm buying. Here's a link to the site I usually order from: http://www.mehndiskinart.com/Kalpi_Tone_Powder.htm

I order from them wholesale because it is so much cheaper to do so that way. Here's the easy link to the wholesale page just in case there are some who are interested: http://www.mehndiskinart.com/hair_wholesale.htm

I hope this was a little helful.

Thanx a lot Aggie , I didn't even realise Kalpi Tone had all of those powders in it :wallbash:. I think i'll have to order quite quite few of these.:scratchch

Thanx a lot Aggie , I didn't even realise Kalpi Tone had all of those powders in it :wallbash:. I think i'll have to order quite quite few of these.:scratchch

You're welcomed honey and don't feel bad about not knowing before. I didn't either until I saw the ingredients on mehndiskinart.com. I realised afterwards that perhaps this is what Candy_C's complete blend is as well. I like the fact that I don't have to wonder about how much to put in my mixttures anymore unless I want a little extra of the moisturizing powders added to it like bhrindraj powder and hibiscus petal powder which I bought from www.fromnaturewithlove.com.

I also bought extra brahmi powder for my hair growth. I did not buy extra amla, shikakai, neem or aritha powders as I already had a couple boxes that I'm trying to use up. Oh by the way, I just bought my Kalpi tone powder (20 boxes), 6 KTC coconut oils, and some bridal BAQ henna - thanks for the reminder. I have lots of shikakai oils and soap, brahmi powder, and indigo and I bought them all wholesale. They will last me a while. The way I see it, one shipping cost is far better than many:yep:.

Last edited:
Back