Ayurveda Support Thread

There are several people that add amla powder to their henna recipe to help maintain their curls? Has anyone ventured into trying this when they were at a loss for their curls? It really makes a difference!

Aggie I said it depended on your starting texture (I don't know hers). If you are in the "Andre 4s", it's going to be minimal, but it'll be more noticable for people in "Andre's 2-3s". LOL...how do you think those Ethiopian and Somilis get it so straight w/o relaxing (or rarely)...henna!

Your starting texture is in the 4 range, right? That makes the diff.

There are several people that add amla powder to their henna recipe to help maintain their curls? Has anyone ventured into trying this when they were at a loss for their curls? It really makes a difference!

Yes I used to add more amla and now I add less because I don't want the curls too tight. I prefer them loose actually. Thanks for the reminder Khadija - I totally forgot about the amla's ability to tighten the curl pattern. This is probably why my hair always seem to bounce back into it's normal curl pattern so quickly. When I am ready for my hair to maintain it's tighter integrity again, I think I will start adding a little more amla to my mixes. But for now, I'm good:grin:.

Aggie I said it depended on your starting texture (I don't know hers). If you are in the "Andre 4s", it's going to be minimal, but it'll be more noticable for people in "Andre's 2-3s". LOL...how do you think those Ethiopian and Somilis get it so straight w/o relaxing (or rarely)...henna!

Your starting texture is in the 4 range, right? That makes the diff.

This makes a lot of sense as well but as Khadija reminded me, it is the amla powder that has been responsible for my tighter curl pattern when I added it to my henna mixes. I don't use quite as much as I used to when I first started using henna. I like my curls looser for now.

ETA: I think this why my relaxer stretches are so easy for me now:yep:.

^^^ :yep: I never use amla in my henna (I hate the smell anyway) because I don't want the pattern reinforced. This works well for my mother's relaxed head too.

Khadija I posted this question in another thread but I have a strong feeling you may know the answer and here it is:

"You know I wonder about this a lot. I have been henna'ing my hair for coloring but I only need it for conditioning. I wear my hair pretty dark because of the indigo application and was wondering if the indigo would work just as good if I only allow the henna to relase for an hour or 2 AND if I left the henna on my hair for only an hour or 2? I may need to ask Khadija because I don't want to waste my indigo".

Aggie...henna makes it really easy for me to stretch my relaxers too. I thought I was the only one! Makes my hair so much more manageable.

I got my order from Ayurnaturals a couple of days ago and I can't wait to start doing ayurveda rinses! I have been using Neem Tone for the last couple of days and my skin is so soft!

Aggie...henna makes it really easy for me to stretch my relaxers too. I thought I was the only one! Makes my hair so much more manageable.

I got my order from Ayurnaturals a couple of days ago and I can't wait to start doing ayurveda rinses! I have been using Neem Tone for the last couple of days and my skin is so soft!

I'm glad you had good results with the neem tone powder vkb. That neem tone is wonderful on skin, isn't it? I wonder if Ekua has Sin Tone as well. I need to go check because if the neem works this well on skin, I have a strong feeling the Skin tone would be even better...:scratchch.

I have almost another whole year of relaxer stretching to go and I have to keep up with my henna treatments even if it's just for my relaxer stretch alone:rolleyes:.

Okay I just checked ANB.com for the skin toneup powder and it's there so it looks like I will be getting a couple of those as well. It's like a completeskin powder that has all the other goodies type powders in it, just check out the ingredients list:lick:. Kinda like kalpi Tone powder.

Here's the info on it:
[SIZE=+0]<H2>Hesh Skin Toneup Powder 100g</H2>
148.jpg

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Skin Toneup - Natural Coolant and Skin Toner

Hesh Skin Toneup is packed with nature's most basic healer and conditioner - Fuller's Earth, or what is popularly known as Multani Mati. It is applied after creating a thick paste either in combination with plain water or rose water. The blend contains minerals and healing agents that are active in the particular soil. This helps remove grime and other impurities from the pores of the skin. Regular use leads to fresh and rosy skin. The blend also contains sandalwood extracts, rose extracts and orange peel. These are proven healers and coolants that cure minor skin ailments, protects the skin and helps the ingredients reach the inner layers.

Hesh Skin Toneup advantages:

- Removes dirt and grime from skin pores
- Maintains natural oil balance
- Adds glow to the skin
- Treats minor skin infections

Ingredients: Aloe, Harida, Chandan, Amla, Masurdal Powder, Wala, Jasat Bhasma, Shalmalikantak, Orange, Rose, Neem, Multani Mati

Ayurvedic Product - Made in India

For external use only.

[/SIZE]

Hesh Skin Toneup is packed with nature's most basic healer and conditioner - Fuller's Earth, or what is popularly known as Multani Mati. It is applied after creating a thick paste either in combination with plain water or rose water. The blend contains minerals and healing agents that are active in the particular soil. This helps remove grime and other impurities from the pores of the skin. Regular use leads to fresh and rosy skin. The blend also contains sandalwood extracts, rose extracts and orange peel. These are proven healers and coolants that cure minor skin ailments, protects the skin and helps the ingredients reach the inner layers.

- Adds glow to the skin

Ingredients: Aloe, Harida, Chandan, Amla, Masurdal Powder, Wala, Jasat Bhasma, Shalmalikantak, Orange, Rose, Neem, Multani Mati

For external use only.

[/SIZE]

Okay I just checked ANB.com for the skin toneup powder and it's there so it looks like I will be getting a couple of those as well. It's like a completeskin powder that has all the other goodies type powders in it, just check out the ingredients list:lick:. Kinda like kalpi Tone powder.

Here's the info on it:
[SIZE=+0]<H2>Hesh Skin Toneup Powder 100g</H2>
148.jpg

[/SIZE]

- Adds glow to the skin

For external use only.

[/SIZE]

- Adds glow to the skin

For external use only.

[/SIZE]

I use skin tone & got wonderful results.(Very smooth clear skin thats soft) It works perfect around that time of the month..If your pron to break-outs like I am...

Happy Hair Growing!

I use skin tone & got wonderful results.(Very smooth clear skin thats soft) It works perfect around that time of the month..If your pron to break-outs like I am...

Happy Hair Growing!

I am prone to break outs around that time of the month. Thnaks for shariing Lita.

Aggie, sorry been away from the computer a lot this weekend. It was busy.

I would say you can do that and still get coverage. But my only concern might be if you had any grey hair or new growth that you want to make sure gets good color on those areas at and close to the roots.

What have you decided since you first posted this question?

I don't always see all the posts as much as I'd like.

Aggie, sorry been away from the computer a lot this weekend. It was busy.

I would say you can do that and still get coverage. But my only concern might be if you had any grey hair or new growth that you want to make sure gets good color on those areas at and close to the roots.

What have you decided since you first posted this question?

I don't always see all the posts as much as I'd like.

Thanks for answering Khadija. I must admit, mixing my henna the night before I apply it the next day has been easier for me. I just don't want to leave it on my hair too long anymore and I was thinking an hour, 2 hours tops, rinse, then apply the indigo.

I want to leave the indigo on for another hour. What do you think? Do you think I should leave the indigo on a little longer than an hour to get my usual very dark results?

...and then I got the flu :(

Really crappy being sick....shoot!

Okay so one hour, I did have someone tell me recently they left the indigo in for one hour and then washed it out and was pretty happy. You can give it a shot, and see if it works well. I haven't had any testing done on just one hour. But I'd really like to know too. I just don't want you to waste any of your herbs either. Times are tough and tight for everyone, I'm sure.

Two hours for the henna is fine.

How long did you usually leave the indigo in for after you washed out your henna?

...and then I got the flu :(

Really crappy being sick....shoot!

Okay so one hour, I did have someone tell me recently they left the indigo in for one hour and then washed it out and was pretty happy. You can give it a shot, and see if it works well. I haven't had any testing done on just one hour. But I'd really like to know too. I just don't want you to waste any of your herbs either. Times are tough and tight for everyone, I'm sure.

Two hours for the henna is fine.

How long did you usually leave the indigo in for after you washed out your henna?
I usually leave in the indigo for 2 hours but I am trying to shave some time off my hendigo application time. I'll try it for an hour and see what happens. If it doesn't work, then I'd have no choice but to go back to 2 hours.

By the way, get well soon honey!

I usually leave in the indigo for 2 hours but I am trying to shave some time off my hendigo application time. I'll try it for an hour and see what happens. If it doesn't work, then I'd have no choice but to go back to 2 hours.

By the way, get well soon honey!

Don't forget to try adding the Indigo to your Henna application as well to achieve darker results in a shorter amout of time.:yep:

Don't forget to try adding the Indigo to your Henna application as well to achieve darker results in a shorter amout of time.:yep:

I have done this a couple of times and sadly, my hair did not come out as black as I like it. I know for sure whewn I get older, that I may want and welcome the dark brown color though. So I am keeping this method in mind for whenever that time comes:grin:.

I have done this a couple of times and sadly, my hair did not come out as black as I like it. I know for sure whewn I get older, that I may want and welcome the dark brown color though. So I am keeping this method in mind for whenever that time comes:grin:.

:blush: Even after you did the second Indigo application?? You realize I'm still talkin about the 2 step method right?? Just adding Indigo to the first application also.

aaaahhh, no it didn't sound like you meant as a 2-step process. Really interesting. So like adding indigo to the henna part of the 1st step and then using indigo full strength in the second step right?

Deeper results that way? But then you are using up a lot of indigo right? Does it come out darker then just a regular 2 step process?

aaaahhh, no it didn't sound like you meant as a 2-step process. Really interesting. So like adding indigo to the henna part of the 1st step and then using indigo full strength in the second step right?

Deeper results that way? But then you are using up a lot of indigo right? Does it come out darker then just a regular 2 step process?

:yep: That's exactly right.
Yeah I actually explained in a few other posts.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=7385761&postcount=2852

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=6722893&postcount=2696

It's still the 2 step method.:yep: I tried this few times and yes I did achieve darker results. As far as using a lot of Indigo, not really just enough to turn the Henna brown. That way when I apply the Indigo (second step) I'm not applying it to red highlighted hair. Using this method also seemed to help the color from fading as fast.

Last edited:
That's a really amazing tip!! I'll have to mention that in my blog. Thanks for sharing that with us. (sometimes it just has to be said more then once for some of us to realize, like me!)

:yep: That's exactly right.
Yeah I actually explained in a few other posts.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=7385761&postcount=2852

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=6722893&postcount=2696

It's still the 2 step method.:yep: I tried this few times and yes I did achieve darker results. As far as using a lot of Indigo, not really just enough to turn the Henna brown. That way when I apply the Indigo (second step) I'm not applying it to red highlighted hair. Using this method also seemed to help the color from fading as fast.

FL I'm doing the 2 step now on damp hair and that is working way better for me than the one step.

I got this little tid bit from january noir and I gatta admit it is the only method that worked to get the really black results I was hoping for. I love it now.

I'm doing so much protective styling with wigs right now that I don't want to waste the indigo until I'm in individual braids or ready to show off my hair again.

I only did the treatment JN's way to see if it will work and now that I know it works, I don't have to experiment anymore.

That's a really amazing tip!! I'll have to mention that in my blog. Thanks for sharing that with us. (sometimes it just has to be said more then once for some of us to realize, like me!)

By the way Khadija, leaving on henna on my hair longer gives me better results than for just an hour. I guess I'm stuck with semi-long henna day treatments afterall and that's okay. I look forward to my henna days.

The shorter sessions came out okay but better when they're longer:yep:.

darn it!! aaaahhh well. Now we know better. For sure longer hair treatments with henna then. I suppose that gives it better time to give deeper color deposit.

So the little tid bit that got you better color results was putting it onto damp hair? I realize for sure it goes on much easier, but you also felt it gave better color results? SO damp both times, for henna and then for indigo right? Every little tid bit helps!

FL I'm doing the 2 step now on damp hair and that is working way better for me than the one step.

I got this little tid bit from january noir and I gatta admit it is the only method that worked to get the really black results I was hoping for. I love it now.

I'm doing so much protective styling with wigs right now that I don't want to waste the indigo until I'm in individual braids or ready to show off my hair again.

I only did the treatment JN's way to see if it will work and now that I know it works, I don't have to experiment anymore.

Ohhh ok. on damp hair. I gotta try that. So to clarify you are doing Straight henna on the first application?

darn it!! aaaahhh well. Now we know better. For sure longer hair treatments with henna then. I suppose that gives it better time to give deeper color deposit.

So the little tid bit that got you better color results was putting it onto damp hair? I realize for sure it goes on much easier, but you also felt it gave better color results? SO damp both times, for henna and then for indigo right? Every little tid bit helps!

Yes, for both henna and indigo...absolutely! I believe the reason for this is when we wet our hair the cuticles open up and the color takes better as a result.

Also I don't rinse the henna or indigo out in hot water anymore. I use warm/slightly cool water now. I believe that I end up sealing the color in when I do my last and final rinse in cool/cold water. I mean my hair was really black.

It makes sense because if I remember correctly, my stylist used to add color rinses to my damp hair to get it to stay in longer, so why shouldn't the henna and indigo work the same way:look:, ya know?

The ease for adding indigo to me came after adding a tablespoon of diluted cornstarch to the indigo to thicken it. This worked like magic. I simply added the cornstarch to a little bit of warm water, whipped until mixed and added it to the indigo, whipped smooth, then add to my hair. Voila, no messy floor anymore:grin:.

ETA: I also add a level tablespoon of salt to my indigo by the way for good measure.

Last edited:
Back