Aveda's secret ingredient

gn1g

What do you think? I found this article on the internet.

babassu-palm.jpg

Babassu is well-known in the Amazon of Brazil. Most of its value is derived from the seed kernels within the fruits. The fruit resembles small coconuts and grows in bunches, ranging from a few dozen to hundreds. The mature fruit fall from the tree mainly from August to November but continues into January and February, which is the time the rainy season begins.

The seeds contain the oil that is gaining popularity in the hair-care industry, and is being added to shampoos, conditioners and pomades. Babassu forms a protective, soothing coating on the hair shaft, helping hair withstand diverse weather conditions and direct-heat styling tools while also limiting damage to the hair shaft from coloring or other chemical treatments. The oil leaves the skin and hair feeling velvety and supple.

Babassu has superior emollient qualities (emollients draw moisture from the air, making hair and skin a pliable nature and a healthful glow.) This exotic oil is also used for cooking and to make cosmetics such as creams, soaps, shower gels, powders and body butters. Indigenous and other people use babassu oil (where it grows as a native plant) as a moisturizer. The oil is noted for its light feel and the fact that it is easily absorbed into the skin. It is preferable over heavier oils because of its non-greasy application. Surprisingly, it works as well for oily skin as it does for dry skin because it is an adaptable oil.

The seed kernels are cold pressed to produce the oil; the fruits are wild crafted and organic. Cold pressing means pressure is used to extract the oil rather than chemical solvents, which makes this a very wholesome oil.

Products containing it:

Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancing Lotion
Aveda Damage Remedy Shampoo, Conditioner and Restructuring Treatment
Aveda Smooth Infusion Shampoo and Conditioner
The Body Shop Spa Wisdom Monoi Moisture Bath
The Body Shop Brazilian Nut Scrub
Avalon Organics Ylang Ylang Conditioner
Anita Grant Babassu Shampoo Bar
Aeto Fortifying Olive, Babassu & Jojoba Oil
Nexxus Phyto Organic Babassu Mud Conditioner
Epoch Baby Powder
Babassu Liquid Powder ™ helps protect baby’s skin and lungs since it doesn’t have the small particulate matter of dry powders. Babassu Liquid Powder is an unscented cosmetic that comes from the bottle as lotion then dries on baby’s skin as an absorbent powder.
you can buy the oil pure from nature with love

Last edited:
I've never used Aveda, but I've heard good things about it. It's good to see that the oil can be purchased pure. Maybe I'll buy some to give the products I already have a boost. I need to do some research, but thanks for the heads up ;).

Thanks :yay: I will be purchasing. I love mixing up concoctions for beauty:)

I just got back from Camden grey

I ordered 7lbs of Babassu Oil, 4lbs of Jojoba Oil, Almond, Pumpkin Pie, and Oatmeal Milk & Honey Fragrance.

I will most likely make some hair hot oil treatments, hair creams, massage oils, and maybe some soap.

Last edited:
trimbride said:
Thanks :yay: I will be purchasing. I love mixing up concoctions for beauty:)

I just got back from Camden grey

I ordered 7lbs of Babassu Oil, 4lbs of Jojoba Oil, Almond, Pumpkin Pie, and Oatmeal Milk & Honey Fragrance.

I will most likely make some hair hot oil treatments, hair creams, massage oils, and maybe some soap.

So do I! I find it relaxing to mix up a small batch of something. :)

100384 said:
I went and bought some of the Babassu Oil, and Avocado Butter ( I know i'm all late!) Thanks for the article! :)

You have gorgeous hair 100384. How are you planning to use your oil and butter?

Thank You! I actually was going to use the avocado butter for my hair as a moisturizer and the babassu (sp?) for my skin and possibly hair.l will need to revisit Candy_Cs' thread regarding avocado.

Last edited:
I keep at least 7 lbs of babassu on hand because its great in my soap but also its great in butter creams. Its hard to get because soapers go crazy over this oil because of its sap value. You only need a small amount to reap its benefits. Its consistentcy is like shortening or coconut oil.

mrsmeredith said:
I keep at least 7 lbs of babassu on hand because its great in my soap but also its great in butter creams. Its hard to get because soapers go crazy over this oil because of its sap value. You only need a small amount to reap its benefits. Its consistentcy is like shortening or coconut oil.

Hi MrsMeredith. Are you a soap maker and where are you buying your Babassu? TIA

100384 said:
Thank You! I actually was going to use the avocado butter for my hair as a moisturizer and the babassu (sp?) for my skin and possibly hair.l will need to revisit Candy_Cs' thread regarding avocado.

Hey Girly!

I'm glad you coming out and posting more. Babassu oil is one of the best oils to use for moisturizing. Looks like it is working well.

Serenity_Peace said:
Just stop it! Stop it right now!!!!:grin:

SP, I agree with Sareca. Meadow foam is probably one of the best moisturizing oils. I have read a ton of websites on oils saying this oil is superior. Doesn't have the UV protection like the Raspberry and Broccoli oils though :(

I bought some off eBay. I didn't like the consistency, though. I mixed it with a TRILLION other essential oils so I'll never know how it is alone. I'd love to try the meadowfoam oil, now :look: ... I bet my oil mix is getting ready to be sold. I spent almost $40 buying stuff for this concoction and I have WAY to much (and probably will be going back to my old faithful oil)...

I went to Camden Grey on Tuesday and picked up some babassu oil, among other things to add to the recipe I got from Sareca for the moisturizer.

ms jadu said:
SP, I agree with Sareca. Meadow foam is probably one of the best moisturizing oils. I have read a ton of websites on oils saying this oil is superior. Doesn't have the UV protection like the Raspberry and Broccoli oils though :(

I know people say oils don't moisturize, but WhaTever! That stuff moisturizes!

UV protection from raspberry oil you say? I need some UV protection in my red palm cream. Does it smell like raspberries?

Last edited:
Back