Aveda Tips....

honeybadgirl

i was wondering if anyone had any Aveda tips to share. i have read others say things like, "when i learned how to use it" or "for better results i combine this with that". i am an Aveda lover but wanted to find out as much as possible on how to use the products to the best of its ability:)
another example is....i was in the aveda store and the sales rep and i were talking about be curly. she said she mixes be curly with the emollient serum so the curls will hold together and make a nice curly curl:p
hopefully my sisters out there that LOVE LOVE LOVE Aveda too can share some secrets and tips too!!!
please explain how you use, what you use and why you use:grin:

I have never used the BeCurly, but Jcoily uses it as a moisturizer.

But the serum, I LOVE IT! I use it on my wet hair right before airdrying. Or on my wet hair before rollersetting or blowdrying. I also use it on dry hair right before I flat iron. I love that stuff! One time I mixed it with my deep conditioner and got a very intense shine afterwards. Won't do that anymore because that stuff ain't cheap.:lol:

Any more stuff you are thinking about trying?

thanks locks!! i use the emollient and also read on the bottle that you can put it on your hair and wrap a warm towel around and rinse. i havent tried it that way yet. i guess that would be like an hot oil treatment:confused:
i may use the be curly as a moisturizer. i have a sample of that. does she use it on wet hair?
i was wondering about the black malva shampoo...oh goodness is that the name??? :grin: i cant think right now but i know black is in the name. what are some other good products and do you use them in a combination way?
i use sap moss shampoo, brilliant condtioner, the pre sap moss treatment, emollient, universal styling creme, elixir, dr intensive conditioner....i guess you might think what more do i need huh?:lachen:

Last edited:
honeybadgirl said:
thanks locks!! i use the emollient and also read on the bottle that you can put it on your hair and wrap a warm towel around and rinse. i havent tried it that way yet. i guess that would be like an hot oil treatment:confused:
i may use the be curly as a moisturizer. i have a sample of that. does she use it on wet hair?
i was wondering about the black malva shampoo...oh goodness is that the name??? :grin: i cant think right now but i know black is in the name. what are some other good products and do you use them in a combination way?
i use sap moss shampoo, brilliant condtioner, the pre sap moss treatment, emollient, universal styling creme, elixir, dr intensive conditioner....i guess you might think what more do i need huh?:lachen:

I didn't like the sap moss at all, but maybe it was just me because a lot of people like it. But the sap moss treatment was pretty good. I used it as a prepoo and I know a lot of people apply it to their scalp/newgrowth while DCing. I never tried it that way though.

But the Aveda DR is really good. I use the shampoo and the conditioner I just let it sit for about 30 minutes under a dryer. Excellent, concetrated stuff.

The universal creme is good as a moisturizer for me. I love that stuff and it is so light. I used it on dry/flat ironed hair.

The elixer, I did not like at all. Oh and I never tried the Black malva shampoo.:lol:

When I first used the sap moss concentrate on damp hair before I shampoo, I thought it was okay but I found that it works better for me when I clarify my hair first because it helps replenish the moisture I lost when I stripped my hair from the clarifying shampoo. What I do is clarify, apply the sap moss concentrate and let it sit for about 5 minutes and then I wash it out with Aveda DR shampoo.

nelli711 said:
When I first used the sap moss concentrate on damp hair before I shampoo, I thought it was okay but I found that it works better for me when I clarify my hair first because it helps replenish the moisture I lost when I stripped my hair from the clarifying shampoo. What I do is clarify, apply the sap moss concentrate and let it sit for about 5 minutes and then I wash it out with Aveda DR shampoo.

thanx nelli and do you use the concentrate every time you poo? i read on the bottle you should use every 5 poos

When I first bought it, I used it use it with every shampoo but now, I'm only using it when I clarify my hair.

I love Aveda DR and am interested in using other Aveda products. I'm not sure if I live the Aveda Deep Penetrating Revitalizing conditioner. I need something a little more moisturizing to use as a deep conditioner. Any suggestions?

I also use Aveda DR in conjunction with Elucence and have gotten great results. This month I was trying to solely use all Aveda products though to see how my hair would progress. However, I didn't do that this week or last week. I must say though that on Tuesday evening I conditioner washed with MNT The Original Conditioner, , put a little elixir mixed with a little Elucence conditioner as a leave in, and used water to rollerset. I had nice and bouncy curls! I got a lot of compliments on my hair the next day. I may introduce Keracare back into my regimen to see what results I get in conjunction with Aveda DR. I probably shouldn't do anything different though since my hair is progressing nicely. But heck, Aveda DR can be expensive up front! Then again over time, it evens out, because I'm still using the same Aveda DR Shampoo that I purchased back April '06.

Last edited:
wow...and get suggestions!! i keep saying i'm going to try the elucence conditioner. that sounds like a great mix!! thanks:)

nelli711 said:

Thanks for the tip. I couldn't figure out if the sap moss stuff was doing anything at all. I will try this method the next time I decide I want an Aveda treatment (I save it for when I want to feel pampered:) ).

i remembered that i mixed the brilliant conditioner with the dr intensive and like it much much better than when i used the intensive alone. it was softer. i spray on the damage remedy brilliant spray when my hair is wet and it seems to help detangle my hair alot! before i was leaving my hair braided thru-out the whole process but tried it without doing that and it worked out a whooole lot better than i'm used to

Last edited:
I tried be curly and elixir it didn't do jack for my curls. I did like the brilliant conditioner though. I am sure someone here has alot of knowledge.

firecracker said:
I tried be curly and elixir it didn't do jack for my curls. I did like the brilliant conditioner though. I am sure someone here has alot of knowledge.

thanks firecracker!!! i'm really trying to find what products work well together. i would like to know if you can acheive even better results or different results combining them. :)

I haven't tried many Aveda products, btu I can speak on the Shampure and the Universal Styling Creme. The shampure is great for those of use with hardwater, but don't really want to use a clarifying shampoo all the time. The Shampure is kinda clarifying, but not has much as some others.

The Universal Styling creme is a GREAT moisturizer for relaxed heads that want a creme that will not revert flat-ironed hair or drop any curls.

HoneyDew said:
I haven't tried many Aveda products, btu I can speak on the Shampure and the Universal Styling Creme. The shampure is great for those of use with hardwater, but don't really want to use a clarifying shampoo all the time. The Shampure is kinda clarifying, but not has much as some others.

The Universal Styling creme is a GREAT moisturizer for relaxed heads that want a creme that will not revert flat-ironed hair or drop any curls.

thanks honey! i use the moisturizing creme mostly when my hair is wet, right after i use the leave in. i have started using it on my hair dry. actually you reminded me, i need some more!:grin:

Some may know this tip, but DR intensive restructuring conditioner is great as a pre-poo on dry hair w/ a hot towel. I used it like this for a long time after learning about it from someone here. Now I use the sap moss concentrate for a pre-poo instead since the restructuring conditioner is so expensive.

I love aveda, but also love dominican conditioners. I am about to start using AG products (http://www.aghaircosmetics.com/products_ultramoist.cfm )and will see how I can use both that and aveda. Maybe I'll rotate.

imani97 said:
Some may know this tip, but DR intensive restructuring conditioner is great as a pre-poo on dry hair w/ a hot towel. I used it like this for a long time after learning about it from someone here. Now I use the sap moss concentrate for a pre-poo instead since the restructuring conditioner is so expensive.

I love aveda, but also love dominican conditioners. I am about to start using AG products (http://www.aghaircosmetics.com/products_ultramoist.cfm )and will see how I can use both that and aveda. Maybe I'll rotate.

great thanks. i had bought the ag leave in...fast food a couple of months ago. i wanted to get feedback on that line too. i dont hear anyone talking about it.
thanks again!!!!:grin:

I love Aveda, but am also thinking about rotating with dominican products. I used Nacidit Olive Oil Conditioner and rinse over the weekend and my hair looked and felt great!

I bought the entire Sap Moss collection...and I'm addicted. I just bought the liter of the conditioner b/c nothing makes my hair feel this soft and detangled. I still have the shampoo and the pre-poo concentrate from the first go round. I found that using all three of them together really makes such a difference, honestly.

But I really want to by the damage ready line as well, just as a precaution. I can't tell if my hair is damaged or not b/c I am still understanding the natural hair. But you can never be underprepared. So I guess I will rotate two weeks using Sap Moss and one using Oyin, b/c I love Oyin soooooooo much too!

Use the Sap Moss Shampoo with the Brilliant conditioner :love: :love: my hair was soooooooooo soft and manageable from this combo.

I also like the Shampure shampoo, Deep Penetrating Hair Revitalizer, and the Be Curly Curl Enhancing lotion (as a leave-in/moisturizer, not a curl enhancer)

I have reviews of most of the Aveda stuff I've used in my fotki album also :)

honeybadgirl said:
great thanks. i had bought the ag leave in...fast food a couple of months ago. i wanted to get feedback on that line too. i dont hear anyone talking about it.
thanks again!!!!:grin:

How have you liked the fast food leave in? It was used once on my hair in the Dom. salon and I loved the results. I'm not really sure if that was the culprit, but I want to try. I'm such a pj. Once I finish this paper, I plan on going to pick up my AG products (shampoo, conditioner, and fast food) and heading to Aveda to get this universal styling creme people have been raving about. I need moisture! LOL

I love Aveda products. They are my staples. The DR line is what I use, the poo, treatment and cond. I also use the Styling Curressence when I set and the Elixir leave in. For finish I use the Brilliant glossing serum. These are all keepers. However, I have been experiencing with Domincan products and loving them. I used all Dominican products over the weekend and my hair is lovely. What I've been doing is using Dom on Wed and Aveda on Sat. I think now I may opt to use Aveda every other Sat wash. Think of it as going to the salon every two weeks. That way I can stretch my expensive Aveda products longer. I will probably continue to use my Aveda DR poo on Sat, because the Dom poo I used did not impress me.

imani97 said:
How have you liked the fast food leave in? It was used once on my hair in the Dom. salon and I loved the results. I'm not really sure if that was the culprit, but I want to try. I'm such a pj. Once I finish this paper, I plan on going to pick up my AG products (shampoo, conditioner, and fast food) and heading to Aveda to get this universal styling creme people have been raving about. I need moisture! LOL

i cant give it an honest review because when i was using it i was pulling my hair back in a bun so i really didnt see the results or noticed. i LOVE the way it smells though!!!!:p right now i'm using the elixir leave in.

and yes...i love the brilliant serum!! yummy! instantly adds sooooo much gloss and is light!

Last edited:
mkstar826 said:
Use the Sap Moss Shampoo with the Brilliant conditioner :love: :love: my hair was soooooooooo soft and manageable from this combo.

I also like the Shampure shampoo, Deep Penetrating Hair Revitalizer, and the Be Curly Curl Enhancing lotion (as a leave-in/moisturizer, not a curl enhancer)

I have reviews of most of the Aveda stuff I've used in my fotki album also :)

so i assume you put it in (be curly) when your hair is wet? right after you conditioner? what does that do for your hair, like how does it feel, what does it do, do you see a the results/difference right away?

janeemat said:
I love Aveda products. They are my staples. The DR line is what I use, the poo, treatment and cond. I also use the Styling Curressence when I set and the Elixir leave in. For finish I use the Brilliant glossing serum. These are all keepers. However, I have been experiencing with Domincan products and loving them. I used all Dominican products over the weekend and my hair is lovely. What I've been doing is using Dom on Wed and Aveda on Sat. I think now I may opt to use Aveda every other Sat wash. Think of it as going to the salon every two weeks. That way I can stretch my expensive Aveda products longer. I will probably continue to use my Aveda DR poo on Sat, because the Dom poo I used did not impress me.

I wish I could wash my hair myself and get the silky straight results of going to the dominicans. My hair is texlaxed so I need the extra heat to get my hair super straight. I think that I will be pre-pooing and washing before I go to the dominican salon and then let them do it again and set me. Maybe I'll just pre-poo so that I don't overkill. LOL I just don't know how to fit in my DR reconstructor though.

i need to try the DR poo and conditioner. what are the benefits of that? what does it do? i use the intensive conditioner and love that!!

honeybadgirl said:
i need to try the DR poo and conditioner. what are the benefits of that? what does it do? i use the intensive conditioner and love that!!

When I wash, I use the poo, the treatment under the dryer as my deep con and then follow with the cond for slip and add extra moisture. Put some Elixir leave in and then roller set. My hair is bouncy, shiney and full of body. They are wonderful products.

another tip to add that was mentioned on another thread:

mix brilliant serum and aveda usc to give an even more BRILLIANT shine:grin:

any more????

Back