August 2017: Hits &misses

Some of these are stuff left over from July, but I'll review now:

Hits
- Design Essentials Agave and Lavender Blow Dry & Silk Press Collection Moisturizing Hair Bath
- Design Essentials Agave and Lavender Blow Dry & Silk Press Collection Moisturizing and Detangling Conditioner
- Design Essentials Agave and Lavender Blow Dry & Silk Press Collection Blow Dry Primer Spray
- Design Essentials Agave and Lavender Blow Dry Silk Press Collection Thermal Protectant Creme
- Design Essentials Natural Almond and Avocado Oil Curling Creme
- TGIN Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer
- TGIN Twist and Define Cream
- Okay Pure Naturals Coconut Oil Deep Moisturizing Conditioner
- Hairfinity Gentle Balance Shampoo
- Hairfinity Balanced Moisture Conditioner
- Hairfinity Strengthening Amino Masque

Revisited Hits
- Okay Pure Naturals Coconut Oil Deep Moisturizing Shampoo
- Toque Magico Coconut Oil Intense Split Ends Treatment

Misses
- Design Essentials Almond and Avocado Shampoo
- Design Essentials Almond and Avocado Conditioner

New hits:

DIY Blacksoap shampoo
Homemade DC with banana and kelp

Newish/Ongoing Hits:
Aloe juice -in moderation...heavy use feels like protein

Aloe Vera (fresh) My scalp is so soothed and refreshed after a pre poo with this

Palm oil/butter softens and heavy seals without being sticky/overly greasy. It seems to sink in. I also like it mixed into DC.

Argan oil- softens my hair without being heavy and sticky like castor. I can use this daily

Jojoba oil - light but its a good sealant keeps in the moisture

Revisited hits:

Rose water and glycerin as a hydrating mist

Misses:
Marshmallow root and slippery elm bark letting these go, they make my scalp itch and increased shedding

:down: Big MISS: Purology Hydrate shampoo. :down:

Leaves my and my DD's hair tangled after use. I think it's a little stripping and drying too. It was still expensive even though I got a great deal on it at Target online. I was going to try and use it up anyway because it was expensive and I love the way it smells, but I'ma have to pass this on to DH and DS.

Continued Hit:

Komaza Hair Analysis and Protein Treatment.

I don't remember if I did this justice when I started back in April/May, but if anyone is really struggling with figuring out what's going on with their hair, please check Komaza. They diagnosed a protein deficiency I had no clue I had. I switched (from homemade gelatin treatments) to using their protein conditioner once a week and my hair is doing amazingly. I also bought a pair of high quality hair shears at their advice and they were worth every penny.

Initial impression hit:

:cry3:Eco Styler Black Castor & Flaxseed Oil Gel

I don't like the ingredients at all (no one really knows what some of them do to the body long term), but this gel had my hair defined, soft, separated, and elongated and my ends so protected/shellacked that my hair never really tangled. My wng just lasted and lasted and lasted and lasted. I finally just washed it out. I wore the gel over Soultanicals Fluffalicious Curl Nutricious (does the company really spell nutritious with a "c" in the product name?).

This gel is a flatout miss for me. The gel doesn't have enough hold so my fresh twist out was looking like 3rd-4th day for me. A positive is that my hair was soft and I do like the jar itself.

Informative! So what gel that you've used has given you the best hold ever (for twist outs or wng's)? TIA!

Hit: Obia Naturals Babassu Deep Conditioner - Very easy to apply. Easy to spread and distribute throughout my hair. Rinsed out easily. Left my hair feeling soft and moisturized after a 30-minute DC under my bonnet dryer.
I had been planning to order Obia Naturals online, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's at one of the Target stores near me.

Hit: Koils by Nature Hydrating Shealoe Creamy Conditioner - Another conditioner that's very easy to apply and spread throughout my hair. I used it as a rinse out but next time I'll use it as a deep conditioner. The directions say that you can use it either way.

Miss: Koils by Nature Replenishing Hair & Scalp Cleanser, Eucalyptus and Lavender - Too gentle to get my hair and scalp clean, even after rinsing and repeating a few times. But it's so cool how you press the pump and it comes out as a foam, so you don't have to work it into a lather.

Back