August 2016: Hits & Misses

Miss: Hydroquench Greaseless moisture & eco styler gel olive oil combo....my holy grail combo...

Sitting here trying to figure out why my hair feels & looks like crap

87c6d6ed.gif

:lachen: :rofl: :lol:

MISS
Packaging runny products in jars or buttercreams in pump bottles.
Conditioners packaged in 8 ounces or less. They get used up too quickly if the product is not concentrated. I'm left with jars that have a dab or two of product.

HIT
Using Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee as a deep conditioner with heat. I got moisturized smooth hair.

Wetline Xtreme Professional gel for twistouts.
I got the same results as my expensive botanical gels; medium hold with lots of movement. Absolutely no curdling, crunch or flaking. It works on wet hair over the following:
(Alone) AfroVeda Cocoalatte & Shea Amla buttercreams, Oyin Handmade Whipped Pudding, Bekura Palm Tapioca,
Shea Moisture detanglers, Shea Moisture Kids Coconut Hibiscus Curling buttercream

(Under argan, baobab, JBCO, marula, moringa, sessame, SM Raw Shea finishing elixir or SM dry oils)
Amazon Rain Murumuru moisture milk (blue bottle)
Curl Junkie Argan and Olive
Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Oyin Handmade Hair Dew
Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp
Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus conditioner

HIT
Using Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee as a deep conditioner with heat. I got moisturized smooth hair.

Wetline Xtreme Professional gel for twistouts.
I got the same results as my expensive botanical gels; medium hold with lots of movement. Absolutely no curdling, crunch or flaking. It works on wet hair over the following:
(Alone) AfroVeda Cocoalatte & Shea Amla buttercreams, Oyin Handmade Whipped Pudding, Bekura Palm Tapioca,
Shea Moisture detanglers, Shea Moisture Kids Coconut Hibiscus Curling buttercream

Thanks for the bold, good to know :yep: @Bibliophile.

Working my way through the Curl Junkie line:

HIT:

CoffeeCoco Curl Creme - great moisture but not a lot of hold if used for a wash & go
Curl Queen - light weight gel, a bit thicker than Curl Keeper if you are familiar, goes on easily, lots of slip, decent shine on day 2, not as drying as Curl Keeper (don't love it enough to purchase unless there is a good sale)
Beauticurls Argan & Olive oil Daily Conditioner (moisturizing, used as a leave in)
Beauticurls Leave-in Conditioner (moisturizing)
Curl Rehab - Strawberry (Uber moisturizing, detangled with this and a little goes a long way, hate the scent)
Repair Me! - enjoyed using this protein treatment, Uber moisturizing and a little goes a long way.
Gentle Cleansing Shampoo (Original formula) - moisturizing, no suds shampoo, detangled easily with this in my hair

Possible Miss:
Aloe Fix - sort of thick (looks like Vaseline but is thinner), haven't used enough of it to comment fully; the smell is medicinal but did dissipate after a while

MISS:
Pattern Pusha (Newest Formula) - medium weight gel (thicker than Curl Queen) does not spread well when applying, decent shine on day 2, no flaking which was a complaint about the old formula

Last edited:
Hit:
Clay washing. I'm still playing with it, but so far it's very promising. It's really helping with lessening the frequent washing and keep my hair moisturized. Bentonite needs protein afterwards. Rhassoul does not and I mixed some Maca and Brahmi in and that was good. I'll keep shampoo around but for now will stick with just clay and see how it goes.

Silk Dreams Wheat Germ Conditioner. On my relaxed hair, it was moisturizing and smoothing. On my natural hair, it's just moisturizing. When I use it on soaking wet hair, I use less and still get well moisturized hair. It's the only moisturizer that's worked this summer.

Promising Hit:
Shea Moisture Curling Gel Soufflé. I used it on Sunday on top of the SD WGC and it became sticky. I already knew I used too much. I used again last night, but a very small amount each section and today no stickies. I'm mad it took me half the summer to find this combo, however, while July is NYC is unkind, August is usually disrespectful so it's probably just in time.

Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Cowash. I only got it because it has Kaolin and Black Soap Extract. I figured it would be a good twofer: gets rid of the buildup and moisturize. I actually didn't need to deep condition. Just applied the SD WGC and SM CGS and voila. I saved a finished jar of DE Honey and emptied the bottle in the jar. I don't have time to squeeze product out of a bottle.

Miss:
Me having to put some respeck on the SM Coconut and Hibiscus line. Guess I was just using it all wrong.

Last edited:
Hit:
Clay washing. I'm still playing with it, but so far it's very promising. It's really helping with lessening the frequent washing and keep my hair moisturized. Bentonite needs protein afterwards. Rhassoul does not and I mixed some Maca and Brahmi in and that was good. I'll keep shampoo around but for now will stick with just clay and see how it goes.

I tried clay washing a while ago but I didn't like it. It was a vendor-bought one though (Mozeke). When I used it, I applied it and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I rinsed and my hair felt odd. Like it was coated with something and my products never penetrated whatever that coating was. If your hair likes it, then maybe I need to revisit it. Maybe I'll have better luck if I mix my own. The closest to 'clay washing' that I had success with was the SM Purification Mask.

How well does the clay cleanse on a scale from 1 to 5? What about your scalp? Do you find that your products absorb better? No buildup issues?

I tried clay washing a while ago but I didn't like it. It was a vendor-bought one though (Mozeke). When I used it, I applied it and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I rinsed and my hair felt odd. Like it was coated with something and my products never penetrated whatever that coating was. If your hair likes it, then maybe I need to revisit it. Maybe I'll have better luck if I mix my own. The closest to 'clay washing' that I had success with was the SM Purification Mask.

How well does the clay cleanse on a scale from 1 to 5? What about your scalp? Do you find that your products absorb better? No buildup issues?

I'm going to be honest: I didn't buy a product with clay mixed in because I knew I already had clay and at this point, I really only care to spend money on HG products and lines. I just mixed some bentonite with honey until I got a smooth mixture (though I've noticed no difference with a runny one) and applied to wet hair. Let it sit for 10 minutes and rinsed. My hair did not feel coated at all, just clean. Your review is exactly why I didn't go for a product with clay. You know our number one concern is buildup.

The SM PM was good too, as its cleaning and moisturizing and that's how your hair will feel overall after clay washing and deep conditioning.

My scalp felt pretty good. Some people complained that bentonite caused an itchy scalp but I didn't have that problem. I also didn't scrub too much. On a scale, I would say 4. 5 would have caused me to itch. I felt products absorbed faster and better. I have not had build up issues yet. Considering how well it cleanses I doubt I will but I will keep you posted.

MISS:

Siamese Twists Light Protein Reconstructor and I really wanted to like it too :sad:

This reconstructor was okay but it is simply not one I will repurchase. It didn't feel great going on my hair plus it is pretty oily but not emollient. My hair likes buttery emmollient products. I'm not saying it isn't great for others, just not my fine, normal porosity hair. It certainly didn't wow me.

I also had to shampoo it out because it seemed like it would not wash out with just plain water, but on the plus side, my hair did feel pretty strong when it was all washed out. I will have to do a very softening moisturizing treatment to soften my hair up again. I guess on Saturday I will be using my NG Mango and Coconut Deep Conditioner again.

I'm going to be honest: I didn't buy a product with clay mixed in because I knew I already had clay and at this point, I really only care to spend money on HG products and lines. I just mixed some bentonite with honey until I got a smooth mixture (though I've noticed no difference with a runny one) and applied to wet hair. Let it sit for 10 minutes and rinsed. My hair did not feel coated at all, just clean. Your review is exactly why I didn't go for a product with clay. You know our number one concern is buildup.

The SM PM was good too, as its cleaning and moisturizing and that's how your hair will feel overall after clay washing and deep conditioning.

My scalp felt pretty good. Some people complained that bentonite caused an itchy scalp but I didn't have that problem. I also didn't scrub too much. On a scale, I would say 4. 5 would have caused me to itch. I felt products absorbed faster and better. I have not had build up issues yet. Considering how well it cleanses I doubt I will but I will keep you posted.

Products absorbed faster AND better you say? :scratchchin:

Now I know that I need to get some. Where did you get yours? Thanks sis!

Lol. Yes. That's why that bentonite messed me up because it basically clarified and I didn't use protein; only moisture. My hair soaked it up and was stretching. I had to fix it by leaving some Curl Junkie in my hair for a couple days. It's good now and I can't complain about my moisture issues at the moment. Only the sun.

Clay washing has changed my hair life. My moisture-protein balance now stays on point now that I never strip my hair with poo. I use Naturalicious's (see reviews at Amazon and also the Naturalicious website). Great to start with, but now I will make my own. Naptural85 reviewed Terresentials clay/mud wash, I believe. It's available in some places on the ground.

Does it elongate or shrink the hair or neither really? Does it provide hold? TIA!

To me, anything moisturizing , shrinks the hair. I never see hold myself but depending on how the gel/souffle works for others, it might. I would never use it solely. It goes under something with hold for me. Its the moisture factor. very pea amount per section.

Hit:

As I Am Cleansing Pudding - This has to be in my arsenal at all times!. It is my scalp RX in a bottle. When ever my scalp gets super itchy or worse, I get dry patches that can't be attributed to buildup, this is the shampoo that gets it done. I know it doesn't get a lot of love but it's always worked for me. One HUGE tip: you must follow the directions and let this sit in your scalp for 3-5 minutes. I highly suggest that you wash your hair outside of the shower with this product. I don't find this product drying at all, but I would follow with a good deep conditioner.

Hit:

As I Am Cleansing Pudding - This has to be in my arsenal at all times!. It is my scalp RX in a bottle. When ever my scalp gets super itchy or worse, I get dry patches that can't be attributed to buildup, this is the shampoo that gets it done. I know it doesn't get a lot of love but it's always worked for me. One HUGE tip: you must follow the directions and let this sit in your scalp for 3-5 minutes. I highly suggest that you wash your hair outside of the shower with this product. I don't find this product drying at all, but I would follow with a good deep conditioner.

I agree! This stuff works. I just dont feel like buying it because its the only As I am product I really liked. I try to catch the sales but always miss sallys sales for some reason. This is a very good product

Hit: Aphogee Hair Strengthening Kit

Step 1 of this system has a loose, honey-colored, gel-like consistency that applies easily. It didn't take much of the 3oz tube to fully saturate and it gave my hair a silky feel during its application. After 10 minutes under a cap, I rinsed my hair and it felt exactly as it does when I rinse Step 1 of the Two Step Treatment - somewhat stiff with noticeable strength. Step 2 of this kit has a white, creamy consistency like a conditioner and it took nearly all of the 3oz container to fully saturate my hair. And, although I only let it sit for the recommended minute before rinsing, it did a decent job at softening and removing much of the stiffness in my hair. If I were pressed for time or not in the mood to do a full DC session, I could've stopped here and continued on with my finishing products with no worries. This kit would be great for anyone looking to achieve Two Step Treatment results within a limited time frame.

No more product recs :p :laugh:

Think I'll just grab a jar of this too :look:

@YvetteWithJoy

The soufflé is really good. Unlike @shawnyblazes i have to use it with a leave in under and have to use it to seal. It keeps my hair well moisturized but I'm still playing with the amounts I use. Too little and it can dry out, too much and too sticky. Shawny did say that she just sticks her finger in and uses the residue but I need just like a "grease your scalp size" amount for a section. This has been the best combo for me.

If I use it alone, it makes my hair a little hard.

Back