Aubrey organics- not so natural?

soslychic

This is a text I got from "Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products without Me" by Paula Begoun.

If there is any such thing as a true believe in "natural" products, Aubrey Hampton is indeed one. His books, Natural Organic Hair and Skin Care, arituclately express his convictions. Foremost is his philosophic position regarding his products: "I make my natural shampoos, conditioners, soaps, and so forth the way my mother taught me almost 50 years ago- without chemicals, using herbs kown to be beneficial to the hair and skin." While I'm sure Hampton's mother was a wonderful womah, what she didn't knowabout hair care could fill several books. It's nice to think Mom knew it all, but I wouldn't make a hiar care decision based on such fanciful romantic thinking. Further, an Aubrey product may start out organic, but by the time it's formulated to clean, conditioner, or style hair, it isn't organic anymore. After all, when was the last time you saw a shampoo or hairspray growing from the ground?

Hampton also lauds his position on animal testing, yet a few of his hair care products contain lanolin which is an animal by-product. Given Aubrey's excessive claims about plants, this is a stark contradiction.
He also states that he knows his products are safe to use because they contain ingredients that have been used for hundreds, sometimes thousands of years by people all over the world. That's the best track record, don't you think? Well I don't think so in the least. First, there are many ingredients ranging from panthenol to mucopolysaccharides, and many otehrs, in these products that weren't available until very recent times. I am also skeptical that Aubrey is providing a complete ingredient listing. None of his ingredients labels include standard preservatives, which, given these formulations, means these products would run a high risk of contamination from mold and bacteria, and that would be exceedinly risky for eyes and skin. His ingredint labels do list vitamins c, a, and e as the preservatives, but these have their own stability problems and detoriate quickly with exposure to air. Second, given the consistency and feel of teh products, particularly the conditioners and styling products, I simply don't believe the ingredient listing.........
Another Hampton phobia shared by many othe "natural" eccentrics in teh world, is petrochemicals. He states, "Petrochemicals, which are infinietly cheaper and much more convenitent for amss manufactuers to use...make our hair and skin suffer as a result. What's wrose, the long term effects of these harsh chemicals on both the body and the environment are still unknown..."
Suggesting that all petrochemicals are harsh and all plant derivatives are good is an uninformed as thinking that eating any plant you encounter in the wild won't kill you because it is natural. Plus, all this ignores the fact that petrochemicals have a decidedly natuarl source: they come from decomposed plant and animal life and have a decidedly organic base!
If you are of of the myriad "natural" hair care seekers out there, this line won't hurt your pocketbook. OF course, I question what it can really do for hair, but that final decision is up to you!

PLEASE EXCUSE ANY ERRORS. I WAS TYPING LIKE A WILD WOMAN
smile.gif
She has over 4000 product reviews in her book, many that people use here, so if you would like to know what she said about some of your favorites let me know (I'll see if it's here).

Yeah, I read that too, soslychic.
smile.gif
It's ok with me though. I like how his products work on my hair - and it's not that important to me that all my products be all natural, after all I'm going to put them on my hair, not in a salad!

[ QUOTE ]
Nyambura said:
after all I'm going to put them on my hair, not in a salad!

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

too funny...

Thanks for hand typing all of that info, but I think that author should have done a little more research.

Aubrey's name brand is called "Aubrey Organics" but Aubrey has never claimed that all of their products are 100% organic. Aubrey’s claim to be 100% natural because the final product contains no chemical additives or artificial ingredients. A lot of companies use natural or organic in their names but that does not mean that the product is what it's name claims to be. Heck-Organic Root Stimulator is not Organic and Creme of Nature is not natural.

If you go to the Aubrey Organics website they list customer comments and testimonials. A product can be all-natural without being vegan. I found this comment on the Aubrey’s site about the Collagen & Almond Oil Hand lotion

[ QUOTE ]
“Dominic from Pinole, Ca
rating: 1 Stars
comments:
Avoid this product. It contains "Bovine Sources". In other words dead cows. If you are against animal by-products in your lotions do not buy this product. I always thought Aubrey Organics was a completely vegan company. I was wrong. I dare Aubrey Organics to post my comments.

A note from Aubrey Organics:

We're happy to answer the above comment about Aubrey Organics' product offerings. We do indeed offer some non-vegan products -- at present, about 15 out of approximately 200 products. All of our labels and all of the text on the website clearly indicate which products are non-vegan; you will see "Not a vegan product" written right into the product description. Also, our ingredients listing allows you to see WHY a product is non-vegan -- if it contains bovine collagen or elastin, egg protein, or natural animal-hair bristles obtained without harming the animal. We believe in full disclosure, because an informed customer is a more satisfied customer.

Aubrey Organics is completely opposed to animal cruelty and does not utilize animal testing, nor even data from tests performed on animals. We offer an impressive range of vegan products, and are proud to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]
When Paula Begoun says that “When was the last time you saw shampoo or hairspray growing from the ground” I agree with her to an extent I have never seen hair spray growing from the ground but soap was discovered in nature by accident. Soap was found in Rome. Romans would sacrifice animals a top mountains. The animal fats would runoff the mountain tops and mix with volcanic ash on the way down. People discovered by accident that their clothing was cleaner when washed in the water draining off of the sacrificial mountain. No soap does not grow from the ground but it used to be found floating in the water.

Now all modern day soaps (including Aubrey’s) are made with Lye. Adding lye to fats forces a chemical process called saponification to happen. So technically lye is used to create soap but there is no lye in soap. Aubrey’s soaps are considered natural because lye is used in the soap making process, but no Lye is contained in the finished soap product. Just because chemicals (Lye) is used to make soap that does not mean that the soap is un-natural.

There are a lot of ingredients that are considered natural but do not grow from the ground. Some natural ingredients are derived by using un-natural processes. Example: Essential oils are derived from plants but you don’t exactly find essential oils lying around in the forest. Although essential oils are mechanically extracted from plants that does not make them “non-natural”.

I am not saying that Paula is lying. I do agree with some of her statements. I just thing that she should have gone a little deeper in her research before she printed that info in her book. I don't think she is being fair to Aubrey's

Who knows? Maybe Paula got some kind of "Beef" with Aubrey's

Paula Begoun is the same author who gives her "expert" opinion on black hair care products - isn't she?

I read her book, and I felt here point, but as usual she overstated it (like many people do - including me.
smile.gif
)....

She didn't need to review 4000 products to basically say "cosmetics companies aren't completely honest and they oversell their products.". She could have said that in a sentence. But then - she wouldn't have that skincare line if she did it that way, now would she?
scratchchin.gif

I saw that too, whilst thumbing thorugh the book in the store.

I don't understand though why she "doubts" the ingredient list of his products but believes everyone else??

[ QUOTE ]
Mindymouse said:
I saw that too, whilst thumbing thorugh the book in the store.

I don't understand though why she "doubts" the ingredient list of his products but believes everyone else??

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe because she couldn't really didn't have any valid complaints about the product but wanted to give her two cents anyway.....
ohwell.gif

For some reason when reading the AO ingredient listing I have a feeling that it isn't absolutley genuine.
confused.gif
BUT, I know they make good products so I don't dwell on it.

I don't agree with half the things she says. For example I read on her website that she doesn't think petroleum and mineral oil are pore clogging. Yeah tell that to my forehead.

I don't always agree with her product recommendations but I think she substantiates her opinions on ingredients with research. I was curious to see what she had to say about mineral oil on her website and this is what I found:

<font color="green">Mineral Oil </font>

Excerpted from The Beauty Bible, 2nd edition

<font color="blue">The notion that mineral oil and petrolatum (Vaseline) are bad for skin has been around for some time, with Aveda being the most visible company to mount a crusade deriding these ingredients. According to many companies that produce "natural" cosmetics, mineral oil and petrolatum are terrible ingredients because they come from crude oil (petroleum) and are used in industry as metal-cutting fluid (among other uses) and, therefore, can harm the skin by forming an oil film and suffocating it.

This foolish, recurring misinformation about mineral oil and petrolatum is maddening. After all, crude oil is as natural as any other earth-derived substance. Moreover, lots of ingredients are derived from awful-sounding sources but are nevertheless benign and totally safe. Salt is a perfect example. Common table salt is sodium chloride, composed of sodium and chloride, but salt doesn't have the caustic properties of chloride (a form of chlorine) or the unstable explosiveness of sodium. In fact, it is a completely different compound with the harmful properties of neither of its components.

Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics &amp; Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that's what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don't suffocate skin! Moreover, petrolatum and mineral oil are known for being efficacious in wound healing, and are also considered to be among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics &amp; Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40).

Paula Begoun </font>

I don't see where she says mineral oil or petroleum don't clog pores. Perhaps the "cosmetics grade" ingredients she's discussing indicate that various "grades"/levels for each ingredient exists but at "cosmetics grade" they're benign. All I see her saying is that it doesn't inihibit moisture but increases moisture. I don't think that suffocation is the same as pore-clogging ("comedogenic" sp?). For example, the Vaseline I put on my scalp before touchup time or to cover a chemical burn doesn't suffocate my skin; to the contrary, it helps heal it. If it suffocated skin, there's no way it could help heal the skin. Check out her treatment plan for acne. I don't think she advises put either ingredient on acne-prone faces. Then again, I haven't read either "The Beauty Bible" or "Don't Go Shopping For Hair Products Without Me," so I don't know what she says in there. This was just what I pulled from her website.

I don't agree with her stating that petroleum is one of the most effective moisturizing ingredients.
confused.gif

When you put vaseline on at touchup time do you feel it's healing your scalp or creating a barrier for it?

Sorry, I didn't see this post until now. Vaseline on my scalp feels as if it's creating a barrier - just as some people use castor oil to heal their scalps but also create a barrier to slow the relaxer chemicals' penetration. A doctor told me it's good to put vaseline on chemical burns from my touchup. In that context, it's also healing.

When I put vaseline on my skin after a shower, it moisturizes my skin better than most lotions and retains the moisture level to a greater degree and for a longer period of time. The ability to retain moisture, from what I understand, reinforces our skin's natural ability to function normally by reducing the presence of dry skin and allowing the skin to create healthier skin cells and to repair itself from environmental attacks like overcleansing, dehydration from a/c or heaters, sun exposure, etc. That to me is also healing.

I realize, for reasons unknown to me, that I carry little to no credibility on this Board whatsoever. :shrug: I'm relying on those in the medical field for my information but when I put the information out there to share, I leave it up to each individual to determine what to do. If you're interested in doing some research on your own, www.fda.org, www.ncbi.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi (or www.pubmed.com), www.aad.org, and www.Medscape.com are some good places to start.

Nyambura- The part where she said that it doesn't clog pores was near where she mentions to use products with silicone on your face as moisturizers make up primers etc. It was in a whole different article. I think soslyshic posted the link for it a while back (maybe a month ago ?) I think vaseline can work as a moisturizer by blocking air from drying out your skin but not drawing moisture out of the air to the skin (which is what I like best in creams etc). This is also how it works for the burns you have had. The vaseline keeps it from drying out and scabbing. Thanks for the links.

Nyambura, thanks for replying. I was curious.

lol, I didn't know you "carried little credability". I always learn alot from your posts and opinions.
smile.gif

You're welcome, CBG. I understand what you're saying:
smile.gif
vaseline doesn't function as a humectant (drawing moisture out of the air) but more like an antioxidant (blocking air while trapping moisture already on the skin). I'm glad we have some med students and chemists on here.
smile.gif
Please let me know what you think of the links.

Back