Attn 4B's: what should i do now?

sylviaetc

Attn 4B\'s: what should i do now?

since coming to these boards and finding out that my shampoo wasn't good enough, i went out and switched shampoos. i was using this loreal natures therapy mega moisture sham. and although it worked well i switched
because of the sls content. i am now using this 50% organic avalon mint and thyme sham. & con. because it has no sls and no mineral oil. my results havent been all that good. i hate the way the shampoo leaves my hair tangled and straw like >: and although i like the condtioner, that could be the olive oil i add to it talking. what should i do? go back to my old shampoo & con.? can anyone suggest a mega moisturising shampoo that doesn't contain harsh chem.? i love the idea of organic products but they all seem to be geared toward 1a's - 3bs need as much moisture as i can get! HELP
my hair type is 4b

sylvia

Re: Attn 4B\'s: what should i do now?

hey syl! is your hair natural or relaxed?

if its relaxed, i cant help you with specific recs, for us unprocessed 4's we usually do conditioner rinses (or no poo) when the conditioner actually does the work of the shampoo, and then we only shampoo once a month to prevent build up.

erm, the conditioners that i tend to love are redken all soft (the conditioner, not the deep conditioner), lush's okra (i think there is only one outlet in the US and that is in california - canada has loads of LUSH stores though). For the shampoo aspect, i like lush's gentle lentil, since it washes without leaving my hair stripped.

I guess also, not all natural products are the same. Some 4's here swear by jasons, or elucence (www.pleasantimage.com) or lanzia, ect. So, the thing is, you are on the right track, just not necessarily working with the right products.

THe best advice i could offer is to try and get some swaps going with other memebers here, since they tend to be product junkies, and half their products they dont seem to use
smirk.gif
. It's a cheap way to discover what works for you without splashing too much cash.

As a leave in, i like redkens soft ends (or something along this line) and i think i am in love with terax crema right now, but i need to make sure.

Hope that this post helps.

Yours

Canuck

I went through the same thing
smile.gif

Before i came to the boards i think i was using Mizani Botanifying shampoo (b/c at that time i used all the product before i moved on.. being a PJ has changed that). It was nothing special, not bad... just shampoo. then i came to the baords and i was quickly in a craze to do the "homemade this" "no sls that" "eliminate cones and mineral oil" only to find that through extensive products trys....some mineral oil, and sls products are great on me.

If you want to go the cheapie route (which i love
grin.gif
) I would suggest you go out and purchase Cream of Nature shampoo in the White bottle w/ gree writing, its very moisturizing, cheap , no Sulfates, and has a very impressive ingredient list.

I swicthed last week to a natural shampoo. It felt weird at first...but my hair feels more moistuirized. What I have found in the past is that if you have hard water...these shampoos leave your hair hard and coated...since there is no detergent in the ingredients to 'lather' up with and help remove buildup. If I didn't use distilled water I wouldn't use the one I have at all.... Also you have to find what works for you. I for one like cones in my conditioner...others do not. You will probably have better luck with Creme of Nature. Also if you are relaxed they may not be as effective....but I really think it's your water...
smile.gif

I am not a 4B, but I am relaxed and I think you could try the no poo. Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner is great. I've also started using their Moisture Benefits Shampoo. It doesn't dry my hair out. I use White Rain to do my no poo and EMBC to lightly condition, deep condition (with liquid shea butter mixed in), and as a leave-in when I wear my hair curly.

[ QUOTE ]
i was using this loreal natures therapy mega moisture sham. and although it worked well i switched
because of the sls content.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Avlon shampoo made my hair feel dry, too. I think it was the mint...

Some of my favorite low- and no-detergent shampoos are Jason Sea Kelp, Aubrey Organics Island Butter, Elucence MB, Mode de Vie Shea Butter Cream Shampoo and Breakthru. The last two are so gentle that they don't clean my hair!
blush.gif
I use them when I'm shampooing leftover henna crud out of my hair. L'anza Protein Plus makes a lot of lather, but it deep cleans my hair without stripping it.

Have you tried the no-poo routine?

I don't know if your hair's natural or not, but I've recently been using Kemit Sava'ge No Soap shampoo and yesterday I tried Elasta Creme Conditioning shampoo, both without SLS (the Elasta one is quite cheap too!
grin.gif
). I like both of them
smile.gif

HTH!

thanx ladies... i am relaxed, going on my 4th mon. (you can imagine) i think i'm gonna follow beana3 advice and get some con. *S* at least until get paid. *S* that aubreys organic sounds tempting...
let you know what happens
sylvia

yes go ahead and try the con coz i use that and am not lookin for anything new coz it leaves my hair soft, moisturised and amazingly detangled coz other shampoos were leavin my hair unnecessarily tangled...also keep us posted on how it goes

Back