Attention Relaxed & Colored Ladies: Best Breakage Recovery Strategy?

kristina

I'm hoping someone could help me assist my mom in resolving her breakage issues. My mom has basically done everything that we cringe at. . . while I was across the country. She been relaxed since the '70s- she relaxes every eight weeks. She also has a permanent dye to cover the gray. But the really bad thing is that for the last four to six months at least, she's been going into to her stylist and getting her hair curled with a marcel curling iron (after a blow dry). So needless to say her hair once shoulder length hair is now chin lenght, super thin, visibly dry and the back looks seriously chewed up. She's come to me for advise and assistance. Of course I told her that at minimum she should cut out the regular marcel curling. I'm also trying to talk her out of the relaxer but she's not quite sure she could handle her natural texture.
Anyways somehow I ended up agreeing to rollerset her hair next weekend.
So the question- I'm thinking she needs a hard core protein (Emergencee) followed by a good moisturing conditioning treatment but I would love some confirmation because I don't want to make the situation worse.

My Mom is the same way but, I had to take baby steps with her and finally her hair is thriving. Anyhoo your plan for the protein treatment is a great start. I would hook her up with a good moisturizer to use daily and tell her whenever she uses heat to use a heat protectant.(If shes like my Mom she wont stop using her heat.) My Mom likes the Dew by ubh because she doesnt like a heavy oil or cream,but you can make your own that works just as good. 3oz.water- 1 oz. white rain condish-1/2 oz olive oil. (I got this off Motowngirl's website its called Homemade Spritz)hth:)

Last edited:
Back