ATTEN: Tips on preparing to relax /texturize hair?

Nanyanika

Next week my sister and i will be doing a touch-up on newgrowth for the very first time and i want things to go smoothly. i have my Apex pressing oil grease to cover all the previously texturized hair from being overprocessed. I use the Affirm system and wondering whether i could just use the Affirm positive link on its own instead of using it along with their reconstructor. because i have a lot of newgrowth and i have very thick hair, could i relax in sections instead, i did this b4 when correcting my textures. Tell me which protein treatment is better out of Aphogee and Elasta? what do you ladies base your scalp with to prevent burns? i currently have castor oil and Ultra sheen hair food could i use these? any other advice would be appreciated.

Aphogee has been rumored to take the straightness out of a perm, so if you're sister overprocesses that may be a good thing.

Relaxer base is just heavy grease. Any brand will do. I think even vaseline will do the trick.

Relaxing your hair in sections and using grease to cover previosly relaxed hair is a great idea. Just make sure you relax the side of the hair first that is easiest to rinse out without disturbing the other sections of the hair.

good luck!!

[ QUOTE ]
zora said:
Aphogee has been rumored to take the straightness out of a perm, so if you're sister overprocesses that may be a good thing.

Relaxer base is just heavy grease. Any brand will do. I think even vaseline will do the trick.

Relaxing your hair in sections and using grease to cover previosly relaxed hair is a great idea. Just make sure you relax the side of the hair first that is easiest to rinse out without disturbing the other sections of the hair.

good luck!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, i will be using plastic cap to keep relaxer away from other sections. i will be using mild, so i'm more likely to underprocess since my hair is resistant and has 5 months of new-growth.

I am just wondering, is it really ok to use heavy grease on the ends to prevent overprocessing. grease is sometimes difficult to wash out of one's hair. is it possible that while rinsing the relaser from the roots, it could get trapped in the grease and cause breakage? wouldn't it be better to use something lighter than apex (which if i call correctly is very heavy) to insure more healthy results. I don't know if I am correct on this Den. I am not a self-relaxer yet bu I am working on getting there. i just don't want u to mess up that beautiful, healthy head of hair that you have. good luck with your retouch. let us know how it goes and post pictures soon.

I retouch in sections (front/back)--but that's basically the only precaution I take. I don't base my scalp--or put anything or my previously texturized hair. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
I use the Affirm system and wondering whether i could just use the Affirm positive link on its own instead of using it along with their reconstructor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the Affirm system, and although I've never used the Positive Link on its own, the instructions say that you can. The Positive Link should be used on medium or coarse hair and the 5in1 Reconstructor should be used on damaged or fine hair, or you can mix them. The ph of both products is the same, so I assume they have the same neutralizing effect when applied after the relaxer is rinsed out.

[ QUOTE ]
RachelL said:
[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
I use the Affirm system and wondering whether i could just use the Affirm positive link on its own instead of using it along with their reconstructor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the Affirm system, and although I've never used the Positive Link on its own, the instructions say that you can. The Positive Link should be used on medium or coarse hair and the 5in1 Reconstructor should be used on damaged or fine hair, or you can mix them. The ph of both products is the same, so I assume they have the same neutralizing effect when applied after the relaxer is rinsed out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have medium to coarse texture so the positive should be ok then.

[ QUOTE ]
deborah11 said:
I am just wondering, is it really ok to use heavy grease on the ends to prevent overprocessing. grease is sometimes difficult to wash out of one's hair. is it possible that while rinsing the relaser from the roots, it could get trapped in the grease and cause breakage? wouldn't it be better to use something lighter than apex (which if i call correctly is very heavy) to insure more healthy results. I don't know if I am correct on this Den. I am not a self-relaxer yet bu I am working on getting there. i just don't want u to mess up that beautiful, healthy head of hair that you have. good luck with your retouch. let us know how it goes and post pictures soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanx, i may use an oil instead, i do not want any relaxer to process the old texturized which is why i was going to use grease. I'll try to post some pics soon.

Back