ateya's proclaim hair gel.

I don't know the purpose for using it. What style requires that product?

The last time I used brown gel was in high school to slick back my ponytail.

It depends on how she is using it. It is protein gel and if she will be using it while her hair is in a "resting" style, I see nothing wrong with that. If she'll be manipulating the hair with the gel, that wouldn't be good, but I believe her goal is to just let her hair rest so it can get back to its healthier state.

It depends on how she is using it. It is protein gel and if she will be using it while her hair is in a "resting" style, I see nothing wrong with that. If she'll be manipulating the hair with the gel, that wouldn't be good, but I believe her goal is to just let her hair rest so it can get back to its healthier state.

I agree. I've been user of Fantasia IC "brown gel" for YEARS to slick back my hair into low puffs, it's definitely a staple. People always put down "brown gel" but I've had no problems...it's not the gel itself that's the problem, it's how people are handling their hair with the gel that's usually the problem.

okay, she was recommended to use the proclaim high protein hair gel. How do you feel about this recommendation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnsmRR8OaIE

the hair gel is at the end of the video.

I was wondering about this. I came to think of brown gel as "bad" but there is another girl on youtube with APL-length hair who uses it for protective styling. She doesn't rake a comb through her hair, though, she just gently re-wets it and uses a toothbrush to smooth.

I have too many bad memories from brown gel to ever use it again, personally.

I was wondering about this. I came to think of brown gel as "bad" but there is another girl on youtube with APL-length hair who uses it for protective styling. She doesn't rake a comb through her hair, though, she just gently re-wets it and uses a toothbrush to smooth.

I have too many bad memories from brown gel to ever use it again, personally.

omg Solitude..your hair is beautiful!

My hair loves Eco brown gel. The key to using brown gel is to balance it out so your hair does not dry out. I usually put my shea-butter-coconut-oil mix on first then brown gel on top for hold and it always gives me a nice result. I also think it depends on the brand of brown gel you use! Some are more drying than others and have a lot of alcohol in them.

I agree. I've been user of Fantasia IC "brown gel" for YEARS to slick back my hair into low puffs, it's definitely a staple. People always put down "brown gel" but I've had no problems...it's not the gel itself that's the problem, it's how people are handling their hair with the gel that's usually the problem.

ITA...I gave up brown gel because everyone was saying how bad it was etc...so I switched to EQ Mango Butter and ended up with a flaky scalp that looked like cradle cap:ohwell:...

I actually think it can be beneficial if you don't MANIPULATE your hair while using it. I think in her case the protein gel is to going to help strengthen her hair while she's letting it rest in ponytails, etc. Other than that I don't think I would turn to it to just to repair my hair. I would just use some sort of protein treatment.

I believe she's using it for ponytails. In her vid she said that she was going to start putting her hair in a ponytail more often, and that she would use the protein gel to slick it back.

I used to ROCK me some brown gel years ago, haha! I don't use gel of any kind anymore.

But I agree with what others have said. It shouldn't be a bad thing if she's not slicking it back into a real tight ponytail or leaving it caked on her hair for weeks on end she should be fine.

She was talking about doing ponytails and braids under weaevs or wigs. I believe she was talking about the gel for when she does ponytails. Gel is fine as long as it's alcohol free- brown gel is alcohol gree, so that's fine too. Brown gel doesn't look too good, especially when it starts flaking, but it's not bad for your hair at all. Fine As long as it's washed out instead of combed or brushed out after use that is.

Last edited:
I sometimes use brown gel to slick back my puffs and I only use my hands to apply it on and because my hair is moist before I use it, the gel never gets hard. I also wash it out when I change my hair style. So I have no problems with the evil brown gel.

Her hair is NOT cute....sorry. Its all thin and broken.:nono: i dont kno why so many pple oogle over her hair:ohwell:

It is thin and broken now but if you look at her previous videos her hair was pretty, and it is not so much her hair that people flock to it is her upbeat and positive attitude that people like.

Last edited:
I see another ban wagon.:nono: I'm going to sit this one out as well.

I feel bad for her and its very unfortunate what she went thru but Im not jumping into anything she advises or doing. I admire her positivity However, she is not a prime example of healthy hair care to me. Just MY opinion.

Last edited:
It is thin and broken now but if you look at her previous video her hair was pretty, and it is not so much her hair that people flock to it is her upbeat and positive attitude that people like.
I was going to respond, but I didn't post my comment because the back and forth is not even worth it. Everyone, even the people who don't like her knows that her hair was never broken off like that before. People will forever have their opinions about stuff. When I look at her hair (pre tangle mishap), I saw sleek, shiny, flowy, bouncin' and behavin' healthy hair. When someone else looks at it, they may see lifeless, flat, heat damaged unhealthy hair. It's whatever, I liked it.:look: And her attitude about it is the best thing since pockets on pants!:yep:

omg Solitude..your hair is beautiful!

Thank you so much!

Her hair is NOT cute....sorry. Its all thin and broken.:nono: i dont kno why so many pple oogle over her hair:ohwell:

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't know her personally, but her hair seemed to be quite healthy before her setback. She suffered breakage and terrible hair loss from tangling when she took down her sew-in incorrectly. She's on a growth and learning journey just like the rest of us.

I see another ban wagon.:nono: I'm going to sit this one out as well.

I feel bad for her and its very unfortunate what she went thru but Im not jumping into anything she advises or doing. She is not a prime example of healthy hair care to me. Just MY opinion.
I just feel that people should do what works for them. I will not be purchasing the gel she recommended because the gel I use works well for me (IC Fantasia with sparklites or whatever it's called- the blue or clear one). When I need a touch up, I am the gel QUEEN! :lol: I've been doing that way before I knew about LHCF and YouTube to turn my beedybees into waves during my bunning until I get my relaxer. :)

I would go so far as to say that some people would've liked to see that her setback was due to her hair practices and not because of tangling just to be able to say "I told you so." I can't getting past that feeling. She did lots of stuff to her hair that's is hated on LHCF and her hair STILL grew. If she wasn't trimming, I wonder how long it would be by now.

Last edited:
I just feel that people should do what works for them. I will not be purchasing the gel she recommended because the gel I use works well for me (IC Fantasia with sparklites or whatever it's called- the blue or clear one). When I need a touch up, I am the gel QUEEN! :lol: I've been doing that way before I knew about LHCF and YouTube to turn my beedybees into waves during my bunning until I get my relaxer. :)

I agree with the bold part. I'm afraid this will be and excuse for everyone to go empty out sally's buying up brown gel. When it was the same people laughing when Shima prescribed the same remedy. You know how folk can be hyprocrits. I'm just sayin.

I agree with the bold part. I'm afraid this will be and excuse for everyone to go empty out sally's buying up brown gel. When it was the same people laughing when Shima prescribed the same remedy. You know how folk can be hyprocrits. I'm just sayin.
I hear that. But, I remember a while ago, there was a HUGE thread talking about brown gel and saying that it was not the devil. The thread mentioned that it had no alcohol in it and people were saying that you can grow hair while using it. One lady said her cousin or neice (I don't remember) was using it and always bunning- not due to this site or haircare, but because she just always did that style on her hair using brown gel. The girls hair grew from SL to her butt or something like that.

I hear that. But, I remember a while ago, there was a HUGE thread talking about brown gel and saying that it was not the devil. The thread mentioned that it had no alcohol in it and people were saying that you can grow hair while using it. One lady said her cousin or neice (I don't remember) was using it and always bunning- not due to this site or haircare, but because she just always did that style on her hair using brown gel. The girls hair grew from SL to her butt or something like that.

I feel ya..Me I'm sitting here waiting for the " I got to ankle length by flat ironing with brown gel and pink oil" thread. You know someone is bound to start a challenge or some mess.

I think she's a beautiful girl with a beautiful attitude, coming back from a mishap, and I'm sure 99% of the people on this board can identify with a mishap - myself included. Why snap on the girl unnecessarily? I just don't get that about 'us'...anyway.

Personally, I LOVED me some ECOstyler BROWN gel (anyone that's been to my fotki knows that was a staple of mine when used with PM The Conditioner). As many have stated, 9 times out of 10, it's often not the product that's damaging but how it's used. AND one product is not for everyone. Go where your hair leads you.

Remember she lost a lot of hair from several sections not just one area. Also, her hair is relaxed bone straight and it looks like so many people's hair when they get a fresh relaxer:rolleyes:. Come two weeks, and some good moisture and protein DC, it should have more body than that.

I am not an Ateyaaa fan but this is getting ridiculous. This lady JUST had a setback yet people are still kicking her while she's down :nono:. I just don't get it:ohwell:

I have 3c hair and I always thought brown gel was the debil too, but I recently discovered the beauty of (brown) ecostyler or (clear) proclaim gel on my wash n' gos. I get the most beautiful curls. I have never ever had a problem with breakage because of that gel. I will never be without it.

ETA: I always rake it into freshly washed hair apply it over some type of leave in cheapie conditioner and a bit of oil. If I am touching up I rub a dab of gel between wet palms and smooth or scrunch my hair. As we speak I have a five-day-old curly ponytail.

I feel bad for Ateyaa about her set back, but haven't we all been there somehow? I looked at the latest video and in my opinion, she just needs to cut her hair straight across the bottom and keep it moving. :yep:

Last edited:
Back