At What Month Post do you Start Using Hair Care Lines Targeting Naturals??

SmilingElephant

I am in my 5 month of transitioning (5 weeks shy of 5 months anyway!)

And the hair care lines made for curly hair looks so enticing and fun to use.

For those who long term transitioned or have transitioned already...what month post did you start using these kinds of products? (ex.:Curls, Oyin, etc.)

And share any other comments about how it worked on your hair:D

I have no intentions on ever using those products because I can't afford it lol and when I'm able to afford it....I probably won't because I love my Aubrey and we will never part lol

OP... I am at almost month 4 (16 weeks) of transitioning (I think... this may turn out to be just a very long stretch). But, I think I am going to start using kimmaytube's leave-in at the 6th month.

I am a natural now but I started with CURLS post one month. I liked it but my hair strarted breaking in certain areas at the decremation line (around month 10) which led me to this site because I did not know what I was doing. I knew nothing about protein/moisture balance, detangling, and such.

I must state that I was "texlax". Certain line like CURLS, Blended Beauty, Mixed Chicks, Kinky-Curly is not going to do a thing for you unless you are texlax or natural. Your whole entire strand of hair from root to end has to curl or kink up in some form or fashion.

Also quite a few of these lines have heavy amounts of glycerin in them just in case you are trying to avoid them this season.

i've never used any high end natural lines (besides a shea moisture leave in) but i do plan to get some oyin and qhemet next month...however i personally wouldnt have wasted all that good expensive product on relaxed hair that im just gonna cut off lol, and it probably wont have the desired effect until your 100% natural anyways

Whenever you're ready to be a part of the target group. I've been natural for at least 15 years but I've never used products targeted for naturals. Some products such as wrap lotion and hair spray don't come up much in natural hair care but good shampoo, conditioner and leave ins will work for relaxed or natural. So it's your choice. Most product lines say "for natural or relaxed hair". If you're never interested in buying products for natural hair only you never have to.

Last edited:
I use Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream on my hair and new growth. It really softens my new growth and I only use it on a weekly basis. It's great for reducing breakage between the two textures :)

I never thought it mattered. Healthy hair products are healthy hair products whether you're relaxed or natural. All the other ish is really just marketing.

I use products targeted towards naturals almost exclusively - but I'm relaxed. Bee Mine moisturizers, Giovanni Shampoo and leave-in, BM curly butter for braidouts, Jane Carter setting lotion and spray gel. I love the ingredients and supporting black owned businesses as well. I will be replacing my Giovanni with either JC or BM shampoo once it runs out.

Back