At what length would you consider a texturizer?

Vinyl

I'm currently BSL, and I recently got a new stylist that doesn't know how to work with my hair in it's natural state. (We have a very limited selection here, so finding someone else isn't really an option.) I'm thinking about getting a texturizer to make it easier on both of us, because she insists on blowdrying/pressing it before she braids it, and I'm afraid I'm going to end up losing more hair than I grow.

I'm just wondering; would getting a texturizer be beneficial in the long run? I don't want to do anything that'll further damage my hair.

Thanks!

My two cents:

I would ONLY put chemicals in my hair for ME. If a texlax (underporcessing with a lye or no-lye relaxer) or a texturizer (a true texturizer uses different chemicals but we often use the words interchangably) is what would make YOUR hair more of what YOU want go for it.

You may need to become a DIYer. Invest in a good flat-iron perhaps, learn to rollerset, etc.

If you want to stay natural and you don't have access to a stylist who understands natural hair, you'll have to look after it.

I'm in a corn town in the middle of the midwest. Literally. I'm on my own here.

Until I found LHCF the only reason I always had at least 14" of hair (before I BCed) is because it grows quickly, is dense and has a huge diameter. In other words genetics. Otherwise I'd have been, to be frank, "screwed".

It is SO rewarding to know that you can do anything and everything you need to, to take care of your hair and worth the effort, time, and yes, the bit of struggle involved.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best!:yep:

If you got all the way to BSL I would recommend finding a new stylist instead of letting an already inexperienced stylist put chemicals in your hair. Just my .02. Also like little gold lamb said a lot of people are DIY, just look through foktis. Also there was a thread a while back for BSL or WL and longer ladies and some of them were natural. You could look at their foktis and tweak their regimens to suit your hair. HHG!

I always thought a "real" braider didn't need to blowdry and press before braiding...Like the others have said, I wouldn't put any chemical in my head because she doesn't know how to handle natural hair. Have you checked maybe the next town over or talked to other people in the area to see who else can braid? I'd just seriously question the ability and credibility of a stylist who says they can't handle natural hair--especially when braiding!

Back