At what age was your hair first processed?

I was 7 (or maybe even 8). Strangely enough, my mother has never had a relaxer. I guess I got it because it was easier for her.

Nice, that is how my mother was, that is why I waited so long. No one in my family felt I needed one but Me. As I got older I just left it alone for a while and by 24 my daughter's grandmother, a hairstylist wanted to put one in my hair, I was grown and still was curious about it, so I let her.

Re: At what age was your hair first processed? *DELETED*

[ QUOTE ]
AudraChanell said:
I got a Vigorol age 13 and a creme relaxer at age 14.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too, press and curl from age 4 or 5 ( i was raised by my grandmother and i had too much hair for her to wash herself). i think when i was too big to lay across the sink in the kitchen (anyone from the pj's will relate) she took me to the hairdresser. the lady who did it was about 50 and she started telling grandma i needed a vigirol. the vigirol kept it tame for a while but by age 13, it was time. i had no regrets. my hair never fell out or damaged because grandma didn't play, we went every week to get our hair done. when she started allowing me to do it myself, 15/16 that is when i started experimenting. having all this new knowledge from the board, my daughter can't get hers until at least 13 or even older if i can help it.

I was 21 when I got my first relaxer, Vitale Lye Regular Strength

[ QUOTE ]
Dutchess said:
I was 20 years old.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I was about this age too. I have only relaxed my hair twice.

4th grade. The stylist told my mother that she couldn't continue working with "All that hair" unless I got a relaxer or curl. I got the relaxer. I have been natural for 6 years.

I think I was 13, I went to some Dominicans. I have no clue why I had it done, I look back and shrug my shoulders in confusion

I think my first one was around 6 or 7..so that's a pretty long time..26 or 27 years of having relaxed hair.. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

when i was about to turn 9.. before that it was the awful hot comb, my mom couldnt deal with my curls because she didnt have curly hair and neither did my sisters.. and she didnt know about texturizing then so /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
I think my first one was around 6 or 7..so that's a pretty long time..26 or 27 years of having relaxed hair.. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Scary, isn't it /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I think I was about 6 or 7 Very young! WOW ! /images/graemlins/look.gif... I had very thick long hair... my mom couldn't deal with it... she had 3 girls and was overwelmed with our diff tex...

she did learned how to cornbraid , and rollerset out hair ... Sat was wash and set day ... LOL my poor mom .. she had so much hair to deal with ...

... I'm so glad to know that when i have a child I will know how to take care of her natural hair...

[ QUOTE ]
Nice said:
[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Scary, isn't it /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure is..after finding this board..I asked my mom why she ever relaxed my hair in the first place.. she pretty much said she just thought it would be easier to care for my hair because she relaxed her hair also.. she said that she didn't know any better.. thanks alot mom.. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I told her that she probably shouldn't have ever relaxed it and she agreed.. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Honestly, it's been so many years I can't remember exactly. Elementary school probably though. I didn't have to beg or anything, my Mom was more obsessed with me not getting my hair CUT. She would tell me that it would be harder to care for short hair and that men liked to run their fingers through long hair. Why she was telling this to a child, I don't know. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif But, back to the perm, I remember getting blamed for not "taking care of" the perm and that's why it didn't "last." The "not lasting" that she was referring to? My NEW GROWTH. Bless her heart though, I guess she just didn't know any better. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

No wait I had a scary curl when I was 10. I let that grow out and then I was 13 I had my 1st PCJ relaxer. No wonder my hair grows with braids.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early and still pissed about it. probably 5 or 6 yrs old. (the kiddy kit) then on to the jheri curls by age 10..and relaxers by age 13.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early and still pissed about it. probably 5 or 6 yrs old. (the kiddy kit) then on to the jheri curls by age 10..and relaxers by age 13.

I think 8 years old. I can't remember any school pictures when my hair was not messed up, except when I had braids. My mom, love that woman, did not know how to do hair. Both my sister and I had perms early.

I was 13 when my big sis decided she didn't want to braid my natural hair anymore. So, I got a jheri curl--momma's orders! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I was 19 ( if u don't count that nasty jeri curl I had 4 2 months at age 13 /images/graemlins/cry3.gif )

[ QUOTE ]
laketta said:
According to my mother mine was at age 5. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif She told me that she did not know how to do my hair and that threre was always a struggle with me when it was time to do my hair.

She prob didn't know any better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had my first perm around 1 year old./images/graemlins/mad.gif My mom told me it was for those same reasons! /images/graemlins/nono.gif She also said she was tired of my crying when it came time to do my hair...come on now...I was a year old...what do you expect??!!??

My mom told me she didn't give me an adult perm because she knew my hair couldn't take it, so she opted for TCB or Just 4 Me..../images/graemlins/mad.gif...I get so mad just imagining where my hair could have been at had I not gotten a relaxer so early in life!

[ QUOTE ]
lovelymissyoli said:
[ QUOTE ]
laketta said:
According to my mother mine was at age 5. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif She told me that she did not know how to do my hair and that threre was always a struggle with me when it was time to do my hair.

She prob didn't know any better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had my first perm around 1 year old./images/graemlins/mad.gif My mom told me it was for those same reasons! /images/graemlins/nono.gif She also said she was tired of my crying when it came time to do my hair...come on now...I was a year old...what do you expect??!!??

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Back