Are you self conscious about wearing a weave at work?

ajoyfuljoy

Hey yall,

I'm starting a new job on the 26th (yay me)! And I'm super excited. I really like these people and I plan on staying for a while.

There is only one issue. I luv wearing weave! I treat my hair like a part of my outfit and I love ponytails, full-cap and half-cap wigs. I used to do all my various hairstyles in college and not care. And in my leisure time, most people who know me know that my hair rarely looks the same for long.

But I'm concerned as to how this will make me look in a professional environment. Will people think I have issues if my hair is changing up all the time? Will it be seen as sporadic, unstable, unprofessional?

For real, people, this is a question I'm really facing. I'm just wondering if anybody else has faced this too and if so then what did you do about it?
Thanks!

It really depends on how conservative your work environment is. As long as the hairstyle isn't excessive or an unatural color and it's neat then I don't think it will be problem. For example I don't think you would want to wear a pink or mulitcolored wig to work (again I'm assuming this is an office enviroment).

Hey yall,

I'm starting a new job on the 26th (yay me)! And I'm super excited. I really like these people and I plan on staying for a while.

There is only one issue. I luv wearing weave! I treat my hair like a part of my outfit and I love ponytails, full-cap and half-cap wigs. I used to do all my various hairstyles in college and not care. And in my leisure time, most people who know me know that my hair rarely looks the same for long.

But I'm concerned as to how this will make me look in a professional environment. Will people think I have issues if my hair is changing up all the time? Will it be seen as sporadic, unstable, unprofessional?

For real, people, this is a question I'm really facing. I'm just wondering if anybody else has faced this too and if so then what did you do about it?
Thanks!

I'm the same way. My hair changes all the time. I find that the white people are the most intrigued by it. Sometimes they ask questions and it gets quite annoying but after a while they'll get used to it and stop.

Don't worry, I am in a very strict cooperate environment and I wore weaves for 3-4 years. I change my hair every time someone looked at me. :yep: Don't worry you will be fine.

I think of it like this, some people like shoes, some like jewelry and will change it every single day, well I am like that with my hair, it is nice, decent healthy so if I want a different look every day or every week then that is what I do.

It had not hindered my performance in any way or how I am perceived at work.

Don't worry, I am in a very strict cooperate environment and I wore weaves for 3-4 years. I change my hair every time someone looked at me. :yep: Don't worry you will be fine.

I think of it like this, some people like shoes, some like jewelry and will change it every single day, well I am like that with my hair, it is nice, decent healthy so if I want a different look every day or every week then that is what I do.

That's very true. :yep: As long as your hair looks good, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for that because I wasn't really sure. But I love my different looks. I remember that Hillary Clinton was criticized as a first lady because she didn't have a "look" that she stuck with. It was as if she always changed her image, a lot of critics felt it reflected her lack of a strong self-image and insecurities about always wanting to look like other people.

I know I'm not like that and I don't want to be perceived like that. But it was just a concern.

I am. . .probably too much. I work in a conservative profession and I don't like it when people comment on my appearance. Recently, after a 4 month stretch I had to wear a wig b4 I relaxed cuz my NG was outta control. I felt self conscious about it, but I got a lot of compliments.

I usually stay w/n the same range w/ my weaves, because I don't think they know enough

As long as you're neat and not crazy w/ your colors you should be fine.

B4 I entered my profession, I used to wear crazy hairstyles w/ every color under the rainbow & all types of braided styles. I saw this crazy asymmetric wig w/ burgundy accents at the bss that I would love to have. It was like a mix of the Kelis and Rhianna styles - starting really short and brushing the shoulder at the front on the other side. I have not been able to get it off my mind. I think I'm going to get it and wear it during my Christmas break. Sometimes, my inner wild child just cries out!

Will people think I have issues if my hair is changing up all the time?

Some people might, some might not. This is what you have to do.
You absolutely must have confidence in the the hair choices you make. If you don't it will show, and it will invite strange looks and criticism. Most often people will envy your hair diversity and wish they had the same ability and know-how. But the key is really to have that power & confidence in the style you have chosen and ALWAYS make sure it is neat and professional. If you give up that power and come across as being unsure or uneasy...you will lose. Make sure you read your employee hand book and know your requirements first and have the info memorized in case there is ever a question.

Being in a Corporate environment does not necessarily mean you have to have only one hair style and it does not mean that you have to bend in their direction all the time. Use your head and decide if bending is the right thing to do.

I would suggest that you avoid very odd colors that may be viewed as unprofessional. Red or burgundy at the tips of the ponytail or weave may be better on the weekend than they are during the work week. But subtle blond and natural hilights and subtle streaks I think you can wear with success.

You absolutely must have confidence in the the hair choices you make. If you don't it will show, and it will invite strange looks and criticism. Most often people will envy your hair diversity and wish they had the same ability and know-how. But the key is really to have that power & confidence in the style you have chosen and ALWAYS make sure it is neat and professional. If you give up that power and come across as being unsure or uneasy...you will lose. Make sure you read your employee hand book and know your requirements first and have the info memorized in case there is ever a question.

Being in a Corporate environment does not necessarily mean you have to have only one hair style and it does not mean that you have to bend in their direction all the time. Use your head and decide if bending is the right thing to do.

I would suggest that you avoid very odd colors that may be viewed as unprofessional. Red or burgundy at the tips of the ponytail or weave may be better on the weekend than they are during the work week. But subtle blond and natural hilights and subtle streaks I think you can wear with success.

ITA w/ Mook. Just use your better judgement and feel things out. But as a rule of thumb (at least in the beginning) I would go with more natural looks and color and refrain from too extreme changes too often (i.e. don't long and wavy one week, short and straight then next, shoulder length, then LONG pony tail, etc... You get my drift). I feel like if you stay in the general length you should be fine straight, wavy, pony, etc. Most importantly be true to you and don't do anything to your hair for somebody else's sake.

Quick sotry -- I was insecure about wearing a wig to work as it has been my ultra protective style for a few months. I work on Capitol Hill in the House of Representatives for a Congressman. So in the beginning I wore it in a bun so it loked very natural. Then after being there a few weeks I noticed all types of styles the Congresswomen wear from conrows to goddess braids, etc :lachen: After that I just sort of did my thing. I still keep it black and a certain length but I go curly, pony, straight, updo, etc. I am comfortable w/ myself so I get compliments however I wear it! :grin:

ITA w/ Mook. Just use your better judgement and feel things out. But as a rule of thumb (at least in the beginning) I would go with more natural looks and color and refrain from too extreme changes too often (i.e. don't long and wavy one week, short and straight then next, shoulder length, then LONG pony tail, etc... You get my drift). I feel like if you stay in the general length you should be fine straight, wavy, pony, etc. Most importantly be true to you and don't do anything to your hair for somebody else's sake.

Quick sotry -- I was insecure about wearing a wig to work as it has been my ultra protective style for a few months. I work on Capitol Hill in the House of Representatives for a Congressman. So in the beginning I wore it in a bun so it loked very natural. Then after being there a few weeks I noticed all types of styles the Congresswomen wear from conrows to goddess braids, etc :lachen: After that I just sort of did my thing. I still keep it black and a certain length but I go curly, pony, straight, updo, etc. I am comfortable w/ myself so I get compliments however I wear it! :grin:

ITA w/ Natural joy! Just keep it consistent in color and length for work (no one says you can't go wild on the weekends :look:)But I definitely think it's okay to change it up with straight, curly, etc.- b/c afterall we change it up w/ our real hair right?

I am in a sales where my appearance always has to be on point. My job is such that I see the same customers on a ,monthly schedule. I defiinitely substitute my updos and buns, with half wigs:yep:! Do you, be bold, be confident and Congrats on the new job!!!

I've heard this several times from Caucasian friends and co-workers. And I agree with you, you just have to be confident. One of my wigs has copper/caramel-colored hair throughout most of it, but it's very complementary to my skin tone and not at all outlandish.

I'll do it. I'll just be confident. B/C I feel that this winter I might want to hide my hair a lot. This will be my first winter being so hair conscious, and I don't want to lose the victory in the below zero winds that Chicago can have in the dead of winter. Thanks!

ITA w/ Natural joy! Just keep it consistent in color and length for work (no one says you can't go wild on the weekends :look:)But I definitely think it's okay to change it up with straight, curly, etc.- b/c afterall we change it up w/ our real hair right?

I am in a sales where my appearance always has to be on point. My job is such that I see the same customers on a ,monthly schedule. I defiinitely substitute my updos and buns, with half wigs:yep:! Do you, be bold, be confident and Congrats on the new job!!!

Thanks for the congrats. I graduated in June with my master of science degree in Journalism from Northwestern University and interviewed for a job at the company the day after I got off the plane from a three-month stay in London. I then interviewed for two other positions in similar departments. I didn't get the first one and the other two never called me back...

...until two weeks ago saying the jobs had been put on hold and were taken off! One of the bosses in particular really liked me, had me come back for a second interview, and they gave me the job on the next business day, I am SO excited. I'm giddy.

I got over it. I see weaves as an accessory and protective style and I'm not giving it up for nobody.

People make comments all the time about how I like to change my hairstyle, but hey, that's what makes me unique. I need variety in my life.

I still stay on the conservative side with weaves. No crazy colors. No highlights (well, I did highlights once -it was pretty too!). Right now I'm rocking a shoulder length layered bob and I've gotten TONS of compliments.

So I say, do your thang girl!

Back