Are You Relaxed & Highlighted w/ Healthy Hair? COME HERE PLS!

BlackDiamond21

Ok ladies. Back in the day I used to rock the Halle Berry/Jada Pinket pixie cut with permanent honey blond highlights. Loved it! My hair was fine and healthy!

5+ years ago I let some wanna be colorist in Brooklyn (yes she was recommended by someone who had a rinse in their hair that I thought look fabulous but at the time I had no knowledge of the difference btwn a rinse and perm color) do highlights on my shoulder length hair and she colored my hair like some hood rat off the corner :wallbash:, not the corporate office bee I am. Wrong color, way too much color and I ended up, after she put a dark rinse on my hair to tame the color, with orange hair. Long story short, I had to grow it out to cut it out. Since then, NO COLOR :sad:!

I now have, what I feel is, healthy hair that is BSL and I am having a full head of highlights done.

I found a colorist, Marie @ Afrigenix in Manhattan, through a co-worker who is natural and gets her hair colored because she is over 50% grey. Her hair always looks healthy and well colored. I had a consultation with Marie and we agreed upon a color and type of highlighting I want. I brought in pictures with me to give her an idea and she felt that was a great thing for me to do, so we are both on the same page.

Her salon uses SOCOLOR by Matrix. I am a relaxed 4W w/2W roots (my hair starts dark and gets lighter toward the ends) and she is going to add 7W highlights to my hair. I did my research on SOCOLOR and it appears to be a great color brand and good for relaxed hair.

Because I am using the Matrix color I figure it would be good to use their products to maintain my color. So I bought last night the following Matrix Biolage (sulfate-free shampoo and gentle paraben- and silicone-free conditioners) products:

Delicate Care Shampoo
Delicate Care Conditioner
Delicate Care Masque
Shielding Shine Mist
Intensive Strengthening Masque

My plan is to use those products along with weekly WGO scalp application, my alternating protein treatment Hask Henna & Placenta or my Salerm Protein Poo & Condish and my Africa's Best Carrot & Tea Tree Oil hot oil treatments.

How does this reggie sound?

What do you use to maintain your relaxed and colored hair healthy?

Ever use Matrix SOCOLOR? If so, your experience?

Ever use Biolage Colorcare line (especially the new paraben free version)? If so, your experience?

I appreciate any and all feedback or suggestions or testimonials! The more info, the better for me and for other ladies out there. :grin:

Thanks!

BD21

Not relaxed though, natural (BKT) and coloured (lightened). Your reggie sounds good and you seem to have done a lot of research bet you'll be fine. Can't wait for pics:grin: Good luck!

***update***

I have been colored for over 2 months now and it was WORTH IT :clapping:! At first I was not too keen on the color because I wanted it more blond however I love the color now. It is a nice caramel color with my natural brown hair that looks like my hair was sun-kissed :beach:!
(I kept telling her that is how I wanted the highlights to look natural, like I had just come back from vacation and had the sun kiss my hair - should have realized that meant no blond - lol!)

Marie was EXCEPTIONAL :love2:! She really knew what she was talking about and did so right by me - I have on regrets!

I have been using the Matrix line that I spoke about religiously and my hair is doing so well :drunk:.

I would recommend Matrix SOCOLOR w/ the Biolage line I listed to all my RELAXED sistah's :dance7:! I went to the salon this past weekend after doing my at home cornrow-wave-wear-out for a week and the lady who washed me said, "You have really nice products!" In all my years of going to a Dominican salon never once have I had them say that to me about a non Spanish endorsed product! :grin:

BTW - I love the shampoo, I use the conditioner as my comb out conditioner because it does a great job at detangling. I prefer the intensive masque over the delicate care masque, won't be buying that again. Didn't feel the DC masque did much for my hair but the intensive definitely did. The shielding mist is AWESOME :kiss:! It brings out the color in your hair and makes it shimmer. I use this as my sheen spray from now on. Anytime I want my hair to shine nice, I use a few pumps of this! EXCELLENT! One change to my reggie is that I use the One & Only Argan Oil on my wet/damp hair before rolling or styling hair and I also use it as protect-ant when I (rarely) flat iron or curler set my hair. I could go on the WONDERFULNESS :love: (made that up) of One & Only Argan Oil but I'll save that for another thread! :)

Back