Are you perfectly balanced?

I'm not. I'm always chasing moisture. No matter what, my hair is never over moisturized. This is why I cowash so often.

The only time I'm perfectly balanced is when I go to the salon. Yes, I know. Trust me though, regular salon visits are the ish for my hair :lol:

Do you occasionally clarify to remove build up from cowashing?

Yep. I use Keracare 1st lather. I've always had thirsty hair. It doesn't break anymore but I have to put forth a lot of effort to keep my hair moisturized so I steam weekly.

I think my hair is finally balanced. Because I have fine hair, I up the protein and lay low on the moisture and that's been working for me. My hair used to always feel overmoisturized but now it feels strong yet somewhat elastic at the same time.

I generally use medium protein weekly for 4 weeks and henna or hard protein once for 4 weeks. Throughout that time I DC every week and moisturize my hair 4x weekly. This has been working great for me. But I think to find the best results for you you have to find out what combination of products and regimen makes your hair feel the best and then stick to that for some time to see if it really works for you. For me my hair felt the best a couple days after a henna treatment that was followed by a deep deep condition and good creamy leave-in.

Yes. My hair needs a lot of moisture. I moisturize everyday. I don't need a lot of protein and I only do treatments after relaxers.

Are you sure it's your protein moisture balance that's getting you breakage?

How do you wear your hair daily?

Are you relaxed or natural?

What's your regimen?

I feel that My Hair is Perfectly Balanced. Early on, I focused heavily on my Porosity issues and I implemented a weekly light reconstructor (protein treatment) followed up with a Moisturizing DC'er.

I'll do a heavier protein the week before my relaxer, a week after and a Medium one during the Relaxing process as a Mid-Step prior to neutralizing.

I'll use a Lotion or Hair Cream Daily that is moisturized.

I try to listen to my hair and adjust my products according to what I feel it needs at the time. Also, I'll adjust it where I am in my Stretch as well.

Yes my hair is perfectly balanced my hair loves moisture and i only use protein after a relaxer.

Yes. My hair needs a lot of moisture. I moisturize everyday. I don't need a lot of protein and I only do treatments after relaxers.

Are you sure it's your protein moisture balance that's getting you breakage?

How do you wear your hair daily?

Are you relaxed or natural?

What's your regimen?

Hi Topnotch1010! I'm relaxed.

When I relax, I use the mid protein step and moisturizing steam treatment. A few days later I do a protein treatment.

I wash and condition every week or so. I moisturize 2x daily with ORS Olive Oil(not the bottle one). I don't use a protein based moisturizer because my leave-in is protein based.

During these harsh winters, I protect my hair with wigs or a scarf and hat.

:wave: I haven't seen you around in a while!

Hi Topnotch1010! I'm relaxed.

When I relax, I use the mid protein step and moisturizing steam treatment. A few days later I do a protein treatment.

I wash and condition every week or so. I moisturize 2x daily with ORS Olive Oil(not the bottle one). I don't use a protein based moisturizer because my leave-in is protein based.

During these harsh winters, I protect my hair with wigs or a scarf and hat.

Your reggie sounds fine, except for this. Maybe you have to moisturize twice a day because your hair is not being properly moisturized by this product. This product has a high mineral oil content. It's making you hair shiny without truly moisturizing it. I think you should try to find another moisturizer. This could be your problem.

What are you combing/detangling your hair with?

Are you detangling from the bottom up?

How much breakage are you getting?

Are you sure they aren't shed hairs? Do they have the bulbs on the end?

Last edited:
I think I was perfectly balanced in September of last year. I was using aphogee 2min weekly mixed in my DC. I was deep into a stretch and decided to use aphogee 2step before my TU (because I read many do this)...big mistake. I ended in protein overload and my hair has been out of balance since. I've gotten 2 TUs since then but I still can't find that balance I once had. So frustrating. It seems my hair is forever thirsty and I'm always chasing moisture but then I use a little protein so as to not to get overmoisturized but still no balance. I get a little breakage too and know a little breakage is unavoidable no matter how balanced so I just suck it up and keep going. ETA: I've referred to sista's article a number of times. I've wet assessed my hair and it doesn't fit into any category...it seems like it's balanced - not gummy and not snapping. It's the snapping when dry that puzzle me. Someone mentioned I may have porosity issues.

Last edited:
:wave: I haven't seen you around in a while!

Your reggie sounds fine, except for this. Maybe you have to moisturize twice a day because your hair is not being properly moisturized by this product. This product has a high mineral oil content. It's making you hair shiny without truly moisturizing it. I think you should try to find another moisturizer. This could be your problem.

What are you combing/detangling your hair with?

Are you detangling from the bottom up?

How much breakage are you getting?

Are you sure they aren't shed hairs? Do they have the bulbs on the end?

I was just looking at the ingredients today wondering if that product was the culprit. :scratchch You might be right. I inspected my strands and see the oils on it. What else to use IDK! What moisturizer do you use?

I finger comb to detangle. I work my way up. I have a few shed hairs, but some broken hairs in the mix too.

My breakage has subsided alot since I recently used Roux Mendex and Porosity Control and Corrector & Conditioner. For the most part, I feel like I have a new head of hair.

I think I was perfectly balanced in September of last year. I was using aphogee 2min weekly mixed in my DC. I was deep into a stretch and decided to use aphogee 2step before my TU (because I read many do this)...big mistake. I ended in protein overload and my hair has been out of balance since. I've gotten 2 TUs since then but I still can't find that balance I once had. So frustrating. It seems my hair is forever thirsty and I'm always chasing moisture but then I use a little protein so as to not to get overmoisturized but still no balance. I get a little breakage too and know a little breakage is unavoidable no matter how balanced so I just suck it up and keep going. ETA: I've referred to sista's article a number of times. I've wet assessed my hair and it doesn't fit into any category...it seems like it's balanced - not gummy and not snapping. It's the snapping when dry that puzzle me. Someone mentioned I may have porosity issues.

I use to think that as well, but after viewing YT vids and seeing ladies with no hair in their comb after combing I know this is not the case.

Maybe you should clarify and assess from there. Try Roux Porosity Control and Corrector Conditioner as well. It is working wonders for me. Its B1G1 free this month at Sally's too. :yep:

I use to think that as well, but after viewing YT vids and seeing ladies with no hair in their comb after combing I know this is not the case.

Maybe you should clarify and assess from there. Try Roux Porosity Control and Corrector Conditioner as well. It is working wonders for me. Its B1G1 free this month at Sally's too. :yep:
I use Roux with every wash. I have clarified and assessed and to no avail, a little breakage here and there. I've read many articles on this topic and there is no consensus...seems like some swear by zero breakage while others indicate a small amount of breakage is normal as breakage is unavoidable. I'd love to know the secret to zero breakage. Thankfully my breakage is not overwhelmingly bad so a strand here and there doesn't freak me out. Daily breakage does concern me though as I've had before when I was protein overloaded.

I used Aphogee hard protein and my hair is still stretching like a rubber band.
I thought you were only supposed to only do hard protein every 6 weeks. I just did it on Saturday.

Does anybody use hard protein more often?

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

Yes i am i dont do too much to my hair to make it turn left on me i keep my hair in a balanced state

The only time my hair is mushy is when i did overnight condish yuck NEVER AGAIN

The yoyoing back and forth i believe is why people cant keep length

Back