Are you natural but pressing often? (pics)

sheba1

I ask because I am simply blown away by the progress in my Grandmother's hair in the last 18 months. (Pics to follow :grin:)

She has been a hairdresser, pressing and caring for hair for the last 68 years. She's gotten her hair pressed every other week for nearly that time. My Grand has always been ageless, beautiful and appearing exactly the same since I've known her. The same flawless skin, the same sharp style and the same earlength hair. She's told me for years that her hair just doesn't grow as it did when she was a child.

Well... In April of 2007 my Grand had surgery and could not get to the woman who did her presses. She did not feel up to giving her own presses, so I began braiding her hair whenever I visited. She would wear a wig for special occasions but, for the most part, she cared for, washed and conditioned her hair while in braids. Her hair is now APL!!!! And it's so beautiful and full! I had to take a pic while I was braiding it today. For your viewing pleasure :drunk:

GetAttachment.aspx

It's so exciting! But, in a way, it's just so sad. For years my Grand has been a victim of too frequent presses, her hair breaking just as fast as it grew. :nono: My Grand is 84 years young.

But now its growing just beautifully. She's lightly pressed in this pic, too. Funny thing is, she had no idea her hair looked like this. When she saw this pic that I'd taken with my cell phone she commented that she would have that thought this was someone else! :lachen:

Attachments

• grand back.jpg
    grand back.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I am natural and I press my hair every two weeks; I don't blow dry my hair though. that is a cool story about your grandmother.

One of the reasons I went natural. Couldn't see myself in my 70's going to the salon to get my hair chemically straightened. Figured I would want long hair why not start now. lol.

I ask because I am simply blown away by the progress in my Grandmother's hair in the last 18 months. (Pics to follow :grin:)

She has been a hairdresser, pressing and caring for hair for the last 68 years. She's gotten her hair pressed every other week for nearly that time. My Grand has always been ageless, beautiful and appearing exactly the same since I've known her. The same flawless skin, the same sharp style and the same earlength hair. She's told me for years that her hair just doesn't grow as it did when she was a child.

Well... In April of 2007 my Grand had surgery and could not get to the woman who did her presses. She did not feel up to giving her own presses, so I began braiding her hair whenever I visited. She would wear a wig for special occasions but, for the most part, she cared for, washed and conditioned her hair while in braids. Her hair is now APL!!!! And it's so beautiful and full! I had to take a pic while I was braiding it today. For your viewing pleasure :drunk:

GetAttachment.aspx

It's so exciting! But, in a way, it's just so sad. For years my Grand has been a victim of too frequent presses, her hair breaking just as fast as it grew. :nono: My Grand is 84 years young.

But now its growing just beautifully. She's lightly pressed in this pic, too. Funny thing is, she had no idea her hair looked like this. When she saw this pic that I'd taken with my cell phone she commented that she would have that thought this was someone else! :lachen:

I can't see a pic. Nevertheless, go grandma!!!!

Where are the pics? I don't see them.

That's wonderful that you helped your grandmother to grow her hair out.

Many ladies on here have said they wanted thier hair to be long when they are old... I want my hair to be long when I'm young! Clock's tickin' on that one, though, lol

Nice story. Thanks for sharing. This encourages me to just let my hair do it's thing without all the manipulation. Guess I gotta continue growing before I can do this.

Thanks for sharing Sheba. Squeeze grandma for us.

Wow! It looks full, shiney, and healthy. PTL! For you taking care of your grandma's hair and going to see here. I know some folks who avoid their grandparents like the plague. I'm going to take care of my parents....won't have none of that reaping what ya soe stuff coming back on me..plus it's biblical to take care of your parents.

That was a beautiful story! Glad your Grandma's hair is thriving. This is definitely a lesson and inspiration for us all.

Great inspiring story, thanks for sharing. Like another poster said, it's wonderful that you take care of your grandmother the way you do.
I can see the pics and wow, her hair is lovely... grow grandma!

Thank you for all your kind words. She's just tickled by your comments. I am so glad you all are as excited as I am about her progress. Just amazing.

I am natural and I press my hair every two weeks; I don't blow dry my hair though. that is a cool story about your grandmother.

Growing up, I got my hair pressed every 2 weeks. It always stayed no matter the weather and was never damaged. For the life of me I can't press hair like that.

Back