Are You Dependent On Gels?

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I'm trying to decrease my dependency on them. I know I don't need them, but I just feel like I have to use them.

I weaned myself off of using gels daily back during the Fall for a few months. I'd just co-wash, apply leave-in, and castor oil. Worked like a charm. Ever since I did my 2nd BC in December, I started back using gels, mainly Fantasia IC and DevaCurl Angell.

Gels tend to dry my hair out if I don't use an ultra-moisturizing conditioner/leave-in (especially if the conditioner has cones, that would add to the dryness).

Today I co-washed with cone-less Suave Tropical Coconut (I'm trying to give this cheapie another try), used Paul Mitchell The Conditioner as a leave-in (modified cones, doesn't react negatively to my hair), and castor oil to seal.

I was going to do the regular conditioner leave-in method but punked out, :lol:. I like PM's leave-in.

Anyhoo, are any of your dependent on gels?

I started using IC gel about 2 years ago when I found the hair boards and I haven't been able to stop. :wallbash: I am trying to ween myself off, it's like I'm addicted. So far it's been about a 2 weeks that i haven't used it. It's especially hard in the summer because I want to use gel to slick my hair back!!!!

Soror, it is sooo0o0o0o hard. Especially when I am stretching without a weave. I still can't understand how the ladies here go without brushes, gels, and toothbrushes (when natural or stretching) for their ponytails. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...:ohwell:

:nono: i dont even use gel. my hair will lie down with water. and plus im not a fan of the slicked down look anyhow

You see, I love the slick down look. Maybe that is my problem. Perhaps, I just need to adjust what I consider fly, neat, or beautiful in the name of healthier hair. :rolleyes:

You see, I love the slick down look. Maybe that is my problem. Perhaps, I just need to adjust what I consider fly, neat, or beautiful in the name of healthier hair. :rolleyes:

I actually don't mind using gels for slicking the hair back. I'm just trying to wean myself off of using them for wash 'n gos. It really is addictive, lol.

I HAVE to have my gel...I have all types...Activator, Fantasia IC, that yellow generic black folk isle gel(my fav),and super strong holding gel by Aussie.

I use a toothbrush for my edges even when I have a press. How do you manage w/o gell being a natural. Please let me know!!

Last edited:
I'm getting better,though.When I first started I was hooked on IC fantasia.I used it everyday b/c I was so worried about keeping my hair neat looking while it was bunned(especially my edges because they curl up so tight and won't lay down)I've been using qhemet burdock root creme and other heavy moisturizers for wng bun lately and liquid gels for wng's.

atlest its not black gel and pump it up anymore :giggle:

Last edited:
Kinda:ohwell: especially since I have been wearing my hair curly lately. Fantasia IC gel makes my hair look extra blingy:yep::look:

i have thicker hair and a humongous head, so if i tried to slick my hair down to my scalp it would not be pretty :nono: (i would look like a big fatheaded loser)

i have thicker hair and a humongous head, so if i tried to slick my hair down to my scalp it would not be pretty :nono: (i would look like a big fatheaded loser)

LOL:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: My head is big too I understand. I like to slick the front of my puffs down though, I don't like having a bunch of frizzies.

Ive never used gel since Ive been natural. No need for it. I bought some when I first bc'd thinking that I needed it to define curls but I was wrong. I still have that jar...i should probably toss it:perplexed STC or Elucence is the only thing I use to leave in :yep:

I am......I'm really trying to cut down on my gel usage. So the past week I've just been using Qhemet's Amla & Olive Heavy cream---it's super thick so it helps lay down the edges and keep the frizzies at bay.

I have to have Gel like I have to have a moisturizer! I need it, because I too love the slick back look, or for my wash n go's to enhance my curls!

Im an IC fantasia abuser..lol I use it to sleek my hair I dont do any wash n gos...to cure my addiction and to take a rest from manipulation im getting braids!!

I actually don't mind using gels for slicking the hair back. I'm just trying to wean myself off of using them for wash 'n gos. It really is addictive, lol.

I only use gel during the last three weeks of my stretch -- from weeks 5 - 8. After the fourth week when my new growth starts coming in, my edges look a HAM. Since they are short and broken the new growth takes over and it makes the whole thing look like new growth. But most days I just use water, NTM, and a scarf to lay down my edges.

Hey Casarela :wave: Kijan ou ye?

I tried Gel for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely hated it...:wallbash:. I will never put that stuff in my hair again...:nono:

Ive never used gel since Ive been natural. No need for it. I bought some when I first bc'd thinking that I needed it to define curls but I was wrong. I still have that jar...i should probably toss it:perplexed STC or Elucence is the only thing I use to leave in :yep:

My "addiction" stems from thinking that I needed it to define curls, also. If I use the right products, I won't need gel for anything (other than maybe a ponytail whenever I get to that point of being able to do one, lol).

I bought me some Softee and Smooth 'n Shine curl activator gels the other day. They're less drying than the regular gels. I don't think I want to use them everyday, though. I'm thinking about purchasing Elasta QP's Feels Like Silk, just to have on hand for whatever reason, lol.

My hair is so soft today, just leave-in + castor oil.

My "addiction" stems from thinking that I needed it to define curls, also. If I use the right products, I won't need gel for anything (other than maybe a ponytail whenever I get to that point of being able to do one, lol).

I bought me some Softee and Smooth 'n Shine curl activator gels the other day. They're less drying than the regular gels. I don't think I want to use them everyday, though. I'm thinking about purchasing Elasta QP's Feels Like Silk, just to have on hand for whatever reason, lol.

My hair is so soft today, just leave-in + castor oil.
Glad ur having a good hair day:yep: I should try the oil thing too...but it seems like it would take forever to dry...does it?

I use EQP mango butter for slick backs...that way I dont have to absolutely wash my hair the next day because gel makes my strands stick together:perplexed

Maybe one day I will find the right product to help my already existing curls but we all have different textures and all of our hair don't just lay down with conditioner or castor oil, at least mine don't:grin: But right now I have a Teenie Teenie Teenie Weenie Twa going on so gel hepls me just fine right now, But once my hair gets longer I may no longer need gel and then I can use other Alternatives and let the gel go and use some butters!:yep:

I'm trying to decrease my dependency on them. I know I don't need them, but I just feel like I have to use them.

I weaned myself off of using gels daily back during the Fall for a few months. I'd just co-wash, apply leave-in, and castor oil. Worked like a charm. Ever since I did my 2nd BC in December, I started back using gels, mainly Fantasia IC and DevaCurl Angell.

Gels tend to dry my hair out if I don't use an ultra-moisturizing conditioner/leave-in (especially if the conditioner has cones, that would add to the dryness).

Today I co-washed with cone-less Suave Tropical Coconut (I'm trying to give this cheapie another try), used Paul Mitchell The Conditioner as a leave-in (modified cones, doesn't react negatively to my hair), and castor oil to seal.

I was going to do the regular conditioner leave-in method but punked out, :lol:. I like PM's leave-in.

Anyhoo, are any of your dependent on gels?

OK ... first of all TSU, your hair is gorgeous, girlie. It's really growing back well from your second BC.

Second: the answer is a resounding yes. I, TaraDyan, am hopelessly dependent upon gels, specifically Fantasia IC gel. To combat the drying effects it can sometimes have, I put a little aloe vera gel in mine for added moisture.

Is there a support group available or something, 'coz a sistah needs some help.

IC blue fantasia slicks your hair down without the slick down look
I love them all- clear, green and blue:yep:

Not anymore! Last night was the first time since starting to wear phony pony's that I could get all my hair into a ponytail without gel or mousse. I'm so excited! That can only mean one thing....it's growing! :grin: YAY!

I used to use gel all the time but now I use aloe vera straight from the plant or just using plain old water with a little leave-in (like Nexxus Humectin).

Hey ti-cheri mwen la map kimbé et ou mèm??? ki gel ou té mété nan chivéw? Reason why Im asking cuz I cant use any gel it gotta be my IC fantasia aloe vera and when its humid I use this green koala gel tube.

Hey Casarela :wave: Kijan ou ye?

I tried Gel for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely hated it...:wallbash:. I will never put that stuff in my hair again...:nono:

I use IC Fantasia all the time on my edges (I am currently transitioning 15 weeks post) and I also use it on my girls hair. My question is, if the gels don't have alcohol, what's the big deal. Why are you all trying to minimize the use of it. Is there something else bad about gel that I don't know about?

I use IC Fantasia all the time on my edges (I am currently transitioning 15 weeks post) and I also use it on my girls hair. My question is, if the gels don't have alcohol, what's the big deal. Why are you all trying to minimize the use of it. Is there something else bad about gel that I don't know about?

No there is nothing bad about it to me, so I am with you on this one, I mean it is a styling product. :yep:

Back