Are You Dependent On Gels?

Hey ti-cheri mwen la map kimbé et ou mèm??? ki gel ou té mété nan chivéw? Reason why Im asking cuz I cant use any gel it gotta be my IC fantasia aloe vera and when its humid I use this green koala gel tube.

I used the IC fantasia gel for color treated hair. My hair was hard and shrunk so badly...(I used it on wet hair):wallbash: It was not a good look:nono:

I use IC Fantasia all the time on my edges (I am currently transitioning 15 weeks post) and I also use it on my girls hair. My question is, if the gels don't have alcohol, what's the big deal. Why are you all trying to minimize the use of it. Is there something else bad about gel that I don't know about?

It has cones and alot of people avoid using cones in their hair
It doesnt wash out easily unless you use a sulfate shampoo
( cones can cause buildup)

Glad ur having a good hair day:yep: I should try the oil thing too...but it seems like it would take forever to dry...does it?

I use EQP mango butter for slick backs...that way I dont have to absolutely wash my hair the next day because gel makes my strands stick together:perplexed

Nah, it doesn't take that long to dry. It takes less time than gel....but then again, you have wayyyyyyyy more hair than me, so your drying time may be a tad bit longer.

I plop too, so I don't really feel the drippies, just dampness.

I use IC Fantasia all the time on my edges (I am currently transitioning 15 weeks post) and I also use it on my girls hair. My question is, if the gels don't have alcohol, what's the big deal. Why are you all trying to minimize the use of it. Is there something else bad about gel that I don't know about?

It doesn't have alcohol, but some gels can still be drying to some people's hair. It may be moisturizing to you, but not everyone will have the same experience.

I still love Fantasia IC, but I just don't want to feel like I *have* to use it since it *can* be drying at times.

It has cones and alot of people avoid using cones in their hair
It doesnt wash out easily unless you use a sulfate shampoo
( cones can cause buildup)

It has one cone in it, but I know some people hair just don't like cones, or they don't like the hardness that comes from gel, But for me it washes out easily because I wash everyday, and if I didn't it still comes out. My hair likes cones just like grease and everything else that is bad for your hair LOL!!! But I understand what ya'll are saying!

It doesn't have alcohol, but some gels can still be drying to some people's hair. It may be moisturizing to you, but not everyone will have the same experience.

I still love Fantasia IC, but I just don't want to feel like I *have* to use it since it *can* be drying at times.

I can understand that!!! :yep:

Nothing but Juices N Berries babe:lachen:Seriously, though, I'm thinking about getting some but I have not actually picked up any yet. I need something to tame this kingdom of wildness when I'm stretching! I'm considering IC sparkle lite. Does it make your hair hard?

Girlllll, looking at your hair, you don't need nothing but some Juices N Berries also:lachen: or just a little grease and water!

Great Thread. I am dependent on brown gel occasionally sparkelites. I use it only on my edges and nape, and I have no plans of giving it up! I abandoned early on but they are back and I am happy. I usually mix a dab of gel with conditioner- works like a charm:yep:.

Nah, it doesn't take that long to dry. It takes less time than gel....but then again, you have wayyyyyyyy more hair than me, so your drying time may be a tad bit longer.

I plop too, so I don't really feel the drippies, just dampness.
Thanks!:yep: I have some coconut oil collectng dust. ill see how it works with that.

When I started out natural, I did use gel ...but it was very drying. From there I graduated to holding leave-ins like Noodlehead & the Sunsilk leave-ins. But ever since I got hip to castor oil, no more gels for me :nono:

I know I am.... I love my Long Aid!!! Today I tried leaving condish in it after my cowash but the curls weren't as defined... back to gel tomorrow:grin:

I am totally dependent upon fantasia IC gel.

I look unkept if I go product free. I have also put a lot of money into finding alternative products just to keep coming back to sparkelites gel.

It seems that during the TWA stage, gels are used more often. But as the hair gets longer, butters/oils can soon replace it.

I do like the frizz control that gels can give, though. I get more frizz in the summer (due to the humidity, sweating, etc.) than in the winter. I've noticed that my hair dries out more in the summer than winter. The hot sun bakes my hair :nono:, and I have to really try to keep it moisturized. Most people usually have more hair dryness problems in the winter, but I'm just the opposite.

If I can speak from a TOTALLY NEWBIE TOTALLY NEW BC pov... in the first week, if I didn't slather in a whole mess of Kinky Curly Curling Custard, my hair would just poof out - which isn't a bad thing - I just wasn't ready for that.

This past Saturday (the one day this weekend I didn't have to go anywhere) I experimented with Lily of The Vally 99% Aloe Very Jelly (after putting in a little ORS Olive Moisturizing Lotion) - and had the SAME results as the KCCC without the yucky producty feeling I've been trying to avoid. So I'd say it's a great substitute to gel - PLUS the Aloe cools the scalp AND I heard it promotes growth :)

HTH!!

Back