Are you CURL OBSESSED?

Good video and there are a lot of people that are...and they are always hair typing ... I just consider my hair curly...whether that be wavy, coiled, spiral, whatever it is all curls to me....I am obsessed with having Natural, Long, healthy hair. That is my long term goal/obsession for this month

I completely agree with the video. I see it on hair forums across the net. Frustrated BC'ers who don't like what they see, people clearly mistyping their hair, or kinky naturals getting little to no e-luv from the masses. They weren't mentally prepared yet. My first transition failed because I was not mentally prepared. Now that I am fulling accepting of any texture that sprouts from my scalp, I know I'm ready. Women are going natural by the droves nowadays, but it seriously is more than bc or the physical transition. I think the beauty and versatility of textured hair will be more widely accepted in our society, but it'll take a little while longer than we might have thought. Jmo.

I agree with what she's saying about people embracing their natural texture. I guess it goes back to the whole good hair/bad hair thing.

But at the same time, people like what they like. Not everyone goes natural for some deep emotional reason/connection to the fro. So why is the Silkener more disturbing than a relaxer? They're both styling options and if people decide on their own to get them, I don't see anything wrong with it. Some people just think curls are kyute. It doesn't ALWAYS stem from self hatred, though sometimes it does and that's sad.

I think people have the right to do what they want to do with their hair. Not all people go natural because they want to accept their God-given texture. Some people just prefer to be straight-haired naturals and have no intention on wearing their hair in its natural state and some people just like certain styles. I mean, does the person that only wears stretched styles not appreciate their hair because they dont let it shrink up? They only wear twist outs?

IMO-The whole going natural movement is a personal journey. Yes masses of folks are going natural but everyone goes through their own process when they mentally transition. All the ranting in the world about this topic isn't going to change how someone feels about their hair. (Hopefully it will open their eyes) BUT They have to progress on their own. Thats why you see people who have a cycle of transitioning, BC'ing, and relaxing multiple times. But at the end of the day if someone wants to get a silkener or whatever then thats their business cause it doesn't change the way I feel about my hair. My hair is curly, kinky, and frizzy and it looks good on me. We also need to remember that we are not our hair and we are entitled to change it if we want to. It just hair and if you're happy with yours, what other people do shouldn't bother you.

Ok I'm tired. Good night.
:thatsall:

I think this is a perfect example of why you shouldn't concern yourself with others. I agree with Danell- people will grow to embrace their natural texture on their own timetable.

I was thinking about this subject recently because of my own experience.

When I first realized I had curls (a few weeks after I BC'd) I was so fascinated by them and would not go out unless I felt my curls were fully "popped!" I will admit that I wanted to show off my new texture because for years I had no idea that there were such lovely curls hidden beneath that dry, brittle relaxer.

For me, I guess it was the newness of it all because while I do still love my curls, I now have no qualms about combing them babies out and wearing the fluffy fro look. I feel fortunate because within just a few short months, I've come to accept my natural hair for what it is rather than to bemoan it for what it is not.

Honestly, I think that natural hair means a lot of different things to different women and understandably, we all want to look good. I think the obsession with curly hair is a throw back to the "good hair vs bad hair" mentality that is still deeply ingrained in many of us. It's really very sad that as a people, we have been made to feel ashamed for the very hair that grows out of our heads. :nono:

IDK, maybe I'm just rambling here, but I really don't have any advice for women who are obsessed with obtaining curls. My hair is already curly, but I know that if it wasn't, and someone with curly hair was telling me to accept my hair for what it was, I would not receive their message with a great deal of acceptance.

I know it's easier said than done, but really, I think that women in general would do so much better if we stopped comparing ourselves to one another.

I think the problem started with media only portraying natural hair as 3a-c or at the most 3c/4a... (in women). People who have relaxed their hair all their lives might not know what their natural hair looks like and assumes that it will look like some celebrity or model with looser curls.

It's a shame, because we all have curls, just in different sizes.

To be honest I was surprised at the deep disappointment she expressed in her video about other natural's hair views/choices.

My feelings are more in line w/ the lady who posted a response video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNQF_D9KTUo&feature=related

I give "love" to all healthy hair (irregardless of texture or chemical state). I'm happy for other people when they're happy about their hair.

So if someone happily posts a thread about texturizing, going back to a relaxer, popping their curls, a fierce flat iron, successfully self-relaxing, a fierce puff or afro, etc. I personally feel only happiness for them. :yep:

And to be real, the acceptance for all styling choices on LHCF is one the main reasons I prefer this hair forum to others. I don't like the self-imposed"segregation" of some other hair forums (i.e. having to be a certain "type" to play on their playground).

What is the difference in someone trying to make their curls pop and someone who uses a Flat Iron Daily? If you don't have it naturally? I always try to make my curls pop and I use gel and all sorts of curly butter to enhance them, but if someones flat iron to achieve straight hair is that a Problem too? I am happy for all hair just like the Poster above stated. I mean to me sometimes this hair thing is just ..........................!

I give "love" to all healthy hair (irregardless of texture or chemical state). I'm happy for other people when they're happy about their hair.

I totally agree. I enjoy reading the posts of sistas who are taking care of themselves no matter what their "status" is. I am natural, and my hair is the healthiest it's even been, which is a very good feeling. But IMO my hair didn't thrive before simply because it was relaxed; my hair didn't thrive because I was not taking care of it. When I decided to go natural I did research on taking care of hair in general and now that I know better I do better.

Good question, OP...

That is precisely why I am a little averse to hair typing...things can get so convoluted that it becomes a "good hair" vs. "bad hair" issue and I'm SO over that!

:bump: :bump: :bump:

When I hear people getting SO damned worked up about what other folks want to do with their hair, their heads or whatever...I wonder....do you work? Go to school? Read? Have a life??? Who gives a sh*t about what someone else wants. They can cut their p*bes off and glue it on top of their head for all I care.

I love helping folks but if they don't want to accept themselves, well I damn sure won't be trying to force the horse to drink.

Back