Are you a good client?

Lylddlebit

Let's flip the script. What kind of client are you?

I have been in different sides of the fence. Sometimes I do my own hair. I go to the salon to get my hair done. I do other people's hair. I don't make it a point to do hair but typically when someone sees someone's hair that I have done or see's mine they will request me to do theirs and depending on the circumstances I will say yes or no. In observing the happenings while I am getting my hair done at the salon, servicing others(at home) I have noticed how many rude/delusional/unpleasant clients exist(many times they have the nerve to want to come back). Those who will wastes the stylist time. Those who always want something for nothing. Those who would like to blame stylists for years of their own mistakes. Those who believe that stylists can take more hair off their ends than exists on their head. Those who aren't satisfied for what they explicitly have asked the stylist for and received. Those who don't appreciate or acknowlege deeds of kindness extended to them out of the kindness of the stylists heart etc etc etc.

I am always on time. I don't like my time to be wasted, so I treat others the same way. I am pleasant in acknowledging THE PERSON/people kind enough to provide me with the service I am requesting. I know what I want. If I am unsure I know guidelines of what I want. I allow the stylist to give me what I have asked them for. I say please and thank you(and I mean it). I have realistic expectations. When those expectations are met or exceeded I tip accordingly. When I am unhappy with the service I give them an opportunity to correct it without rudeness...I still pay them if they can't or don't fix it(I just won't remain a customer). If they do fix the mistake everything is good.

We talk a lot about stylists but what about us as clients? Ladies who go to the shop to get your hair done, be honest, what kind of client are you/have you been in the past?

*sigh*

I was a good client. Too good of a client. I was a stay in your chair when you cut my hair when I said trim client :ohwell:. I was a client that repeatedly returned to salons when I heard "pelo malo" being said to me over and over again. I let stylists yank at my hair during the detanling process without saying a word.

wooo-saaa.

yesterday I washed my hair by myself and it felt great! It was the first time I did my hair by myself in three years. I was too good of a client to these salons and my hair suffered a lot :(.

I just have to improve my flat-irong skills!

I was a good client, on time, tipped, had realistic expectations. It helped that I had a very good stylist, one of a rare breed (in my area at least) whose salon cared about haircare, not just styling. She was supportive when I had relaxed hair and when I became natural. She's retired now but I've become a fan of being able to take care of my own hair :)

It's a very good point, and yes I think it's easy to blame stylists for problems with our hair. I've always acknowledged that the onus is on myself, to take responsibility for my hair and I have indeed taken some wrong turns over the years and I have no problem accepting this. However, I'm a very good client, I always turn up on time, if not early and tip as often as I can.

Like washnet, perhaps I could have been a better person to myself by actually speaking up when I felt stylists were handling my hair incorrectly. I did so many wrong things like:-

Sitting through a woman dabbing a relaxer on my scalp instead of smoothing it on the new growth.
Sitting through someone ripping the tiniest comb through my hair to detangle.
Sitting there watching my stylist chat to her mate on the phone when she should have been focusing on my hair.

As far as I'm concerned I've given too much respect to stylists, pity I haven't always got it back in return.

I tipped, came in religiously every week, didn't say anything when the stylist would either cut too much, burn my scalp or ignore me.

I only go to the salon 2-3x a year now if that. I am courteous, but know what I want and won't hesitate to bring my own comb or deep conditioner. I've noticed that these women find me annoying LOL because I know what I want and I'm not going to let anybody comb my thick hair with a rat tail comb.

The truth is I can't find anybody that can do my hair. My hair is long, thick, natural and takes too long to take care of. They probably prefer if I don't come back.

to the first bolded: I used to be the same way. now Im a changed woman!

I started bringing my own supplies to the salon but those witches snuck some of their products in my hair :ohwell::sad::nono:.

where's my belt? thinking about these salons has me upset again. im about to whip their butts. :drunk:

I tipped, came in religiously ever week, didn't say anything when the stylist would either cut too much, burn my scalp or ignore me.

I only go to the salon 2-3x a year now if that. I am courteous, but know what I want and won't hesitate to bring my own comb or deep conditioner. I've noticed that these women find me annoying LOL because I know what I want and I'm not going to let anybody comb my thick hair with a rat tail comb.

The truth is I can't find anybody that can do my hair. My hair is long, thick, natural and takes too long to take care of. They probably prefer if I don't come back.

I wish I had you as my stylist as I’ve always been a good client but have been unfortunate to have had not so great stylists. I remain the seem client but now I have someone new doing my hair, me :grin: along with the advice/techniques I’ve learned here, my hair continues to flourish with each day that passes.

Should I find someone in the future who understands my hair goals, healthy hair practices, uses good quality products/tools, listens and someone I can be at ease with, I would definitely go to them a couple of times a year but I shall still remain the main carer for my hair.

Last edited:
Let's see:

I go to the salon once a year

When I do go I (very politely) dictate to them exactly what they will and will not be doing to my hair and we get the basics established from the jump.

I watch them like a hawk in the mirror when they trim my hair and hold my hand out to take a look at the trimmed ends.

I tip nicely

I recommend people to my stylist

I may buy some makeup from them as well.

They not makin much money offa me but I'm very polite and chatty with them when I go:look:.........:rofl:

They already know how I do at my salon, last yr they set my mothers natural hair in a rod set and I was carefully watching her as I was DCing my hair and her stylist took one look at me and was like "I guess you'll be doing this in her hair from here on in" I was like who me? I'm just looking:giggle: from that day on I knew how to set natural hair in perm rods and we havent been back all yr:lol:

I'm good to my hair and thats what I care about*shrugs*

Last edited:
I was a good client. I showed up on time, paid, and tipped. Paid in full at the end of every service, even though I heard her complain about her nonpaying clients. Even when I got picked on for wanting evoo mixed into the conditioners. Even when her cheap products took out my hair. Yeah..... I WAS a good client.

I think I'm an exceptional client :) I make a point of being a good customer/client wherever I go.

I only go to the salon a few times a year, and I know that my length is a pain in the @ss, so I tend to go for just a trim and nothing else. I speak politely and make sure I'm clear in what I want. On the rare occasions that I let them wash and dry my hair, I tip heavily, because of the amount of work that goes into it.

:look::look: I was a good client. I tried. I was on time, I tipped - I did my part.
FOR YEARS... On the other side - th:look:ey did not do their part.

Today....:borgsmile I am a Terrible client. I am so busy making demands. I kknow they don't want to see me....So I do my own hair.

Let's flip the script. What kind of client are you?

I have been in different sides of the fence. Sometimes I do my own hair. I go to the salon to get my hair done. I do other people's hair. I don't make it a point to do hair but typically when someone sees someone's hair that I have done or see's mine they will request me to do theirs and depending on the circumstances I will say yes or no. In observing the happenings while I am getting my hair done at the salon, servicing others(at home) I have noticed how many rude/delusional/unpleasant clients exist(many times they have the nerve to want to come back). Those who will wastes the stylist time. Those who always want something for nothing. Those who would like to blame stylists for years of their own mistakes. Those who believe that stylists can take more hair off their ends than exists on their head. Those who aren't satisfied for what they explicitly have asked the stylist for and received. Those who don't appreciate or acknowlege deeds of kindness extended to them out of the kindness of the stylists heart etc etc etc.

I am always on time. I don't like my time to be wasted, so I treat others the same way. I am pleasant in acknowledging THE PERSON/people kind enough to provide me with the service I am requesting. I know what I want. If I am unsure I know guidelines of what I want. I allow the stylist to give me what I have asked them for. I say please and thank you(and I mean it). I have realistic expectations. When those expectations are met or exceeded I tip accordingly. When I am unhappy with the service I give them an opportunity to correct it without rudeness...I still pay them if they can't or don't fix it(I just won't remain a customer). If they do fix the mistake everything is good.

We talk a lot about stylists but what about us as clients? Ladies who go to the shop to get your hair done, be honest, what kind of client are you/have you been in the past?

I am a good client but there are times when I get bad service. The only time that I have been difficult, and not to a large extent, is when my stylist can not achieve the hairstyle I ask for. I never have a problem when I get rollersets. The procedure is pretty simple..wash, set, and wrap. When I go to get a sew in weave, its a different story. Im always on time and my stylist never is. She will walk in an hour and a half late with a smile on her face. She always seems to need more hair beyond the standard two packs. I end up having to buy a third one sometimes, which costs me more money, mind you I have to pay $120 at the end of the appointment.

My style usually is 16 to 18 inches long with straight bangs or a part in the middle. I always bring my hair with me because I get it for less near my home. I use Janet New Perm Yaky. . So Beautiful :) I usually get a bang, she never cuts the bang correctly. I ask for layers, she never gives me layers, her excuse is "its not gonna look right", when in my mind I know it will look beautiful because when I go home and do it myself, it looks better than when I left the salon.

Ladies, I've spent MONEY on weaves for the past five years or so and I can count the number of times I was IN LOVE with it. Once I realized that the weave didn't benefit my hair and it LOOKED okay, but not great, I made a decision to step away. Initially she was a good beautician, but over time I noticed she became lazy and tired and it showed in her work. She never suggested ways that I can grow my own hair under the weave and at that time, I needed to know because I was ignorant about hair care. My hair didn't grow until I read about and subsequently used castor oil. The overall situation gradually became unpleasant and I went to another stylist (in the same salon) and I wasn't satisfied with her styling either and I no longer get sew in weaves. Not to mention my edges are in need of a prayer.

To answer your post, overall, if you go to a stylist on a consistent basis then they are the key person to having healthy hair. If she fails, then your hair will fail until you find someone up to par or take matters into your own hands. My stylist made me frown upon weaves all because of the experiences I've had with her. However I truly believe that when they are installed properly and correctly without compromising the health of the real hair underneath, weaves will help you hair to grow. I just have to find a new stylist or learn how to do it myself. And I think I'll go with the latter.

I was the nice client who came on time, despite still having to wait up to thirty minutes to be seen. I tipped and didn't complain much.

Now I'm the client that only comes in 4x at the most, demands to see myself in the mirror, and refuses any trimming that's more than a light dusting. Plus, God help you if you are late.

I'm a great client.
On time, tipped well, referred mad people, was super loyal.

I'm going to try out a new stylist for the first time in 20 years!!!

Yes I'm a good client. I pay and tip well, I communicate my wants and needs and hold my stylist accountable, and I choose a stylist who I trust can care for my hair the way I want it cared for.

I'm a great client, but I'm a great person all around. I have a great stylist and I speak up if I don't like something she's doing.

I never went to the salon too often because I never really bothered with my hair. Now that I know how to do my hair I don't have a need to visit the stylist.

I go now just for trims and to be pampered. I tip well because I get great service.

I just hate waiting for my stylist sometimes. I would probably go more often if I could get in and out.

I'm enjoying all the posts...I think the same standards we expects from those who service us should have the same level of criticalness as the standards we uphold ourselves. I know it's not always reciprocated. I, too, have had bad experiences on both sides of the fence but I know if I show my butt it's on me no matter what excuse I attach to the situation and label it my reason.

I am a loyal and great client...if I let you do my hair repeatedly, then you are practicing the things that I believe in. However, if you get lazy and don't value my time and business, then I will definitely move on!!! Every stylist I've ever left has been for this same reason!

I was the type of client any stylist would want. I came on time ALL the time and I said only what I needed to say so that she would know what to do with my hair. I'm 19 and the lady is an older women so there wasn't much to talk about anyway. I'm just OVERJOYED that I know I won't have to go to a salon EVER again. I'm transitioning to natural and because of this board I realize I can do all that a stylist does AND more. I'm a simple chick. :yawn: I never cared for more than a rollerwrap or rollerset. Thank God I know I can save that money (and dont get me started on the cost AND process of a relaxer)

Black women (especially) love saving money when they can.. so all I have to say is if the majority of stylists don't get there act together REAL QUICK, in the future years they'll find themselves out of business because hair care information like you can find on LHCF will become more and more readily available. And ladies like the ladies on this board can easily pass down what they've learned to not only children but pretty much anyone who is willing to listen. :rolleyes: Just sayin....

Too good of a client. I let myself get abused and I let people talk bad about my hair in a language they *think* I can't understand. I tip very well all the time. At the end of the day, I feel bad for them. My anger wears off...they work very hard.

I used to be a really excellent client. I came bright and early, sat still the whole time, never asked any questions, never argued, and always tipped and thanked the stylist profusely, even when my scalp was left horribly burned and/or my hair came out looking a hot a$$ monkey doodle mess.

But as of late, and more so since joining LHCF, I've become such a terror to my stylists.
I still come in early and try to be polite and friendly, but my passiveness is gone.
I ask them to turn me to face the mirror, watch them the entire time, say "NO TRIM" like 40 times, and I boss them around. If I am not happy by the end, I pay what I owe, politely bid them good day, and hit it on down the road.
I have left people standing in the salon, hand still out, waiting for a tip.
My mom told me that I'm rude, but you know what? It's my hair and it's my money.
So nyah. >_>

Last edited:
I agree. I was a good client too, so I'm not taking any blame for their foolishness. I've had the same issues as the posters above, so I won't repeat them. But I will say that I don't feel sorry for them.

I should not suffer in lost time (waiting around) and low-quality service because they're overscheduling in an attempt to make extra money. I know one stylist, in all my dealings, that schedules her appointments in a way that allows her to focus on each customer and that's Balisi (her member name). She still makes good money and she's an example to follow.

Schedule what you can handle or find a new profession, just don't complain when clients stop coming.:yep:
Too good of a client. I let myself get abused and I let people talk bad about my hair in a language they *think* I can't understand. I tip very well all the time. At the end of the day, I feel bad for them. My anger wears off...they work very hard.

Amen! I completely agree. Either you provide an excellant service for all that money you're charging or you get a new profession :ohwell:

I agree. I was a good client too, so I'm not
taking any blame for their foolishness. I've had the same issues as the posters above, so I won't repeat them. But I will say that I don't feel sorry for them.

I should not suffer in lost time (waiting around) and low-quality service because they're overscheduling in an attempt to make extra money. I know one stylist, in all my dealings, that schedules her appointments in a way that allows her to focus on each customer and that's Balisi (her member name). She still makes good money and she's an example to follow.

Schedule what you can handle or find a new profession, just don't complain when clients stop coming.:yep:

I was a good client. I watched as my hairline was diminished with over zealous braiding and suffered migraine after migraine from too tight weaves, watch stylist blow-fry my hair with no heat protect ant , burn a weave with a curling Iron (YES this happened) the list is endless (my fault I shoulda spoken up but I was a shy softly spoken twenty-something who didn't want to offend). My Bad.

I was a good client I watched as stylists spoke about their personal life, ignored me in the chair bumped up their freinds in the queue. Stopped to eat their smelly lunch over my head and got chatted up by their sorry *** men while I sat in the chair. Held their babies as they ate their lunch, went to the toilet, chatted on the phone. :rolleyes:

Damn I was too good a client and nearly ended up a bald client.

And then I became a smart client. I went to the salon less and went to only good ones for chemical treatments. I stopped a girl on the street with the fly-est weave I have ever seen and she hooked me up with her stylist. Cost more but you get what you pay for and your hair stays on your head.

I have now learned enough over the last few years I feel to go DIY and only get my weaves done professionally and maybe visit for blow-dry and press 2 x a year.

I am not saying all stylists are bad but a good stylist if FEW an far between and like Gold dust or very expensive here in the UK. The solution take your hair into your own hands and learn slowly...

Last edited:
I used to be a really excellent client. I came bright and early, sat still the whole time, never asked any questions, never argued, and always tipped and thanked the stylist profusely, even when my scalp was left horribly burned and/or my hair came out looking a hot a$$ monkey doodle mess.

But as of late, and more so since joining LHCF, I've become such a terror to my stylists.
I still come in early and try to be polite and friendly, but my passiveness is gone.
I ask them to turn me to face the mirror, watch them the entire time, say "NO TRIM" like 40 times, and I boss them around. If I am not happy by the end, I pay what I owe, politely bid them good day, and hit it on down the road.
I have left people standing in the salon, hand still out, waiting for a tip.
My mom told me that I'm rude, but you know what? It's my hair and it's my money.
So nyah.
>_>

LMAO right now chaosbutterfly. You summed it up perfectly.

Reminds me of an incident last year when all I wanted was a simple wash and set in one of those local Nigerian salons where none of them have any sort of license if you know what I mean. But they are cheap and I thought whats the worst they can do with a wash and set.

Well let me tell you, that woman washed and scrubbed my scalp with her nails with a vengeance. I had to tell he to stop that foolishness (its dangerous and unhygienic). She then started to yank a small comb through my wet hair and then applied conditioner for all of 50 seconds and then immediately rinsed it out. My mind was like to DC? Not even for 10 mins? I took my protective robe off got up and gave her half the money for the service and left the salon with my hair dripping wet. My DH said I should not even have paid her he was so horrified (this man knows hair now after our chats).

You should have seen every chin drop to the floor when I did that and customers who had just walked in looking nervous followed me out.

Needless to say I NEVER went back there and when I walk past now they all give me the eyeball...

I was a good client- But I'm not going to sit there in a chair and let a stylist have their way with my hair and then I complain about it later.

I'm the client that watches everything the stylist does- I even bring my own products. (I haven't been to a salon since March 2008 and I like it better that way)

I have always been a good client...on time, tipped, thanked them, and even RETURNED to them when I wasn't 100% happy with what they did. I used to go to a stylist regularly who was a good person and was nice, but each time I went to her something was wrong with my hair. She would leave it too greasy so it'd have no body, cut too much, style it in a way I didn't ask for, talked me into doing color & highlights on top of a relaxer (my fine, thin hair said HOLLA! I'M GONE after that). I had a surgery in Oct and had to go in to have them wash my hair because I couldn't stand in the shower long enough to wash mine...wouldn't you know, when I called the salon she was the only one available...*sigh* so I went anyway, praying it wouldn't be a disaster. She used her fingernails to wash my scalp, yall....NAILS...My scalp was so sore, I had scabs in my scalp for the first time in years...from a shampoo! And I still speak to her and I'm real nice when I see her in the shop, so yes, I'm a good client (either that or a fool)!

The stylist I see now is much better. She knows I'm trying to grow it healthy & long so she respects that and works with me. She only rollersets and she doesn't use hairspray on me. She uses high quality products (KeraCare & Mizani). Her only drawback is that when I say "trim" I end up getting a "cut"...also, on my bill getting charged for a cut. I'm going to go to another salon just for my trims from now on. I'm just not ready to start doing my own relaxers or trims yet.

I tipped, came in religiously every week, didn't say anything when the stylist would either cut too much, burn my scalp or ignore me.

Aw see now, Betty (my ex-stylist) would have loved to do your hair, as far as she was concerned, healthy hair was an advert for her salon. In fact, that's how I found them, when my friend whose hair was damaged was looking good then I saw them with my overprocessed mop and they helped to sort me out :)

The last time I was anyone's client, I was a child. I was vulnerable and knew pretty much nothing about hair, and I was 100% on my own without a stylist.

The first stylist I had was in a dirty, nasty, classless salon in one of the many ghettos of Detroit. My hair grew/retained like a weed, because I saw her maybe once a month or every other month and all I ever got was a wash, blow out and braids. And she always talked me out of a relaxer. She only pressed and curled my hair once for a dance recital and it was so fly. As I look back now, I wouldn't do virtually anything she did to my hair now, but it was pretty healthy. I did like her a lot more than the other stylists who would have loud conversations of lewd nature across the room with each other in the presence of children. :flush:They ate like pigs and never kept their stations tidy...but I digress...

I had a second private stylist, who I would see in her basement where she had a mini salon set up. I came to her with the most busted up hair you can imagine; it was long, it was coarse, matted, some spots even locked up, and at that point I was still natural.:help: She had my hair do a complete turn around. She even told me that I was lucky she was taking me, because anyone else would have turned me away. That was pretty unprofessional in hindsight and it hurt my feelings, but more than likely it was very true. She did have a decent grasp on healthy hair care, because even though she intentionally kept her hair short, her daughters' had pretty healthy relaxed hair and it was not horribly long, but longer than the average. After she relaxed my hair when I was 13-14, she did keep it healthy. I was the one who messed it up. But I still wouldn't be doing some of the things she did to my hair in the present time.

Even though I was just a child, I think I was a bad client. I think a good client is someone who speaks up, knows/communicates what they want, pays relative to the service quality, is cordial, polite and fair, skeptical but open to the professional's advice and expertise, etc. I let both of them rip through my hair and held back tears. I didn't tell them when they were hurting me. :sad: I relied and depended on their performance.

I haven't seen a stylist in a very long time. And I'm really scared to see one, because, while I'm not perfect at styling my hair, I pretty much have a healthy regimen down pat and I don't want that to be messed up unless I only have myself to blame. I'm a complete DIYer and if I ever revisit a salon in the future, it will be for a very simple service like a trim, if I don't master that on my own in the meantime. :crossfingers:

Back