Are you a good client?

My motto is "to be early is to be on time", so I was always early for my appointments (and never cancelled!). Unfortunately, I'd end up having to wait for almost an hour before I made it to the chair.

And like many of you, I kept quiet when the stylist was doing something I didn't like or agree with, because I was afraid of being deemed a "bad client". Just recently, I experienced a great deal of breakage right after I left a salon. I called the stylist, not to yell at her, but to ask her for tips that I could do to repair my damaged hair. She went OFF on me, and for the first time in years I had a full-out argument with someone.

I always tip, even though I may be looking at my hair in the mirror and cursing under my breath. And I'm always friendly, despite the fact that I may be ready to burn the stylist with one of her marcels for plukkin' my hair up LOL!

I'm just tired of paying my hard-earned money to be disrespected!

I was Avery loyal client prior to my diy journey. I just let my stylist so whatever because I knew my hair would look good.

Now that I know better, it's taken more of an effort to sit still when my hair is being improperly detangled and my relaxer left on too long. Now that I'm doing me, I'm not the same ignorant, silent client I once was. But I'm always polite and courteous.

Thanks again for all the responses....I don't want anyone to believe that in order to be a good client you have to be a push over and accept anything, because you can be a good client and get what you want/deserve...you can still be a good client when you didn't receive what you want/deserve.

I was always a good client to my stylist even too nice. I was always on time even when they were not. I was polite even when they were loud and cursed and talked about everybody and their momma. I still paid a braider who did a horrible job on my hair. I still went to african braiders even when they talk about me in there own language (they did great work and got the job done quickly). I once went to a stylist and told her I had already permed my hair but did not get it straight and asked if it would be a good idea to do it again so soon. She said it was okay and may hair broke off really bad. I am tired of paying for stylist that don't care about giving quality service and just taking your money. So no more stylist for me I am a do it yourself woman for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
I agree that it's important to be a considerate, punctual and respectful client. I wish more stylists kept to those same qualities. As it stands now, I doubt I will EVER go to a stylist, unless she is LHCF approved like DontSpeakDefeat or Balisi.

I tipped, was on time, made my wants clear politely, didn't nitpick and had realistic expectations for the amount of hair I had and the time it would take to do it properly.

I was mistreated and ridiculed for my hair (one occasion my skin tone), made to wait and lost hair. Only on one occasion, did I leave happy from a stylist.

After that, I resigned to being a DIYer and have been quite pleased.

You know what I notice is a lack of a relationship in these and most salon related posts. When I'm at the salon I also notice the difference between a walk-in and a regular client, especially if the person is apprehensive about going to a salon in the first place.

Part of being a good client is finding someone you are comfortable with and this is a process and like anything else requires alot of hits and misses. Unlike you ladies, I have an extra precaution that dictates who I can and can not allow to service my hair. It has taken me many many tries and frustrated appointments over the years, pulled out edges from too tight cornrolls, burns in my scalp, etc.

If you want someone to really be able to deliver all you want, then it will take extra work on your part.

I mean some of us are really realistic and understand this, but there are others of us who are really not good clients at all. We do go into the salon and dictate to the staff what will and will not happen to the hair...but if we already know that salon has a particular technique, why go there?

I say, let us be excellent clients, knowledgeable and courteous - relationship builders. Even if you go only 3-4 times a year, lets find a way to be consistent in our salon/stylist choice.

It has made the difference for me.
Just thinking out loud

I mean some of us are really realistic and understand this, but there are others of us who are really not good clients at all. We do go into the salon and dictate to the staff what will and will not happen to the hair...but if we already know that salon has a particular technique, why go there?

I say, let us be excellent clients, knowledgeable and courteous - relationship builders. Even if you go only 3-4 times a year, lets find a way to be consistent in our salon/stylist choice.

It has made the difference for me.
Just thinking out loud

Re bolded. This is exactly the point I have now reached. I also now realise from the personality and the way a stylists acts if we are going to get along and whether we are on the same page as regards healthy hair practices. I think when we are younger a lot if issues dictate choice i.e. finances, lack of understanding of healthy hair practices, being more style than health focused etc etc. As such the charlatans of the hair stylist world will always proper until boards like this continue to draw a wider and wider audience to educate and change the mindset of black womens attitudes towards their hair. On a daily basis I see women with such obvious poor hair choices it makes me sad. However of late (today in partiuclar) I was bowled over to see the number of younger women going natural and experimenting with healthier styles. I hope this trend continues until we put the worst of the stylists out of business.

I was a good client too. I come on time, I'm nice, I wait (I don't believe in rushing a stylist), I've even taken stylists to run errands :perplexed

I ignore slick disses (which black stylists are notorious for), small tooth combs racked through hair, cursing, boosters, overcharging (a 10 dollar long hair charge for NL hair:ohwell:) etc. And then I smile and tip afterwards.

Now I only go for braids. Ever since my last mishap with Miss Trim/cut, I started taking bail money in addition to what I'm paying for. Yep it's that serious now:evil:

Back