Are wigs/weaves necessary to reach our goals?

Are wigs, weaves, braids, etc. a part of your PS reggie?

• Yes

Votes: 178 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 203 53.3%

• Total voters
For me wigs/weave are not a necessity. BUT protective styling/low manipulation IS. The type of protective styling I chose happened to be wigs.

Some people can get away with not protective styling but my hair is fragile/fine and also very prone to tangles and knots. So I HAVE to protective style if I want to get serious length.

I am currently tired of wigs now and experimenting with wearing twists.

I agree with Imani protective styling is necessary for my hair. I get the best results when I protective style. So from here on out, I'm proctective styling until I reach my hair goals...end of story,lol..

Are half wigs, wigs, sew-ins, phony ponies, etc. a part of your protective styling regimen? I have never used any of the above-mentioned styles, but I am curious to know how they have worked for you all.

Is there anybody out there that did not use these styles and still reach their goals? Is bunning and TLC enough, or do I need to make this investment (I will if necessary, but I'm trying to continue on my hhj on a budget!!)?

Thanks ladies :)

I tried to post a poll, but I'm not sure if it worked.

the bolded was enough for me, i should be wl by the end of the year or sooner:grin:... but half wigs, wigs, sew-ins, phony ponies, etc. give you variety.. i did get bored w/my bunning so once reach my goal i will be wearing my hair out all the time... also rollers sets & braid outs can be added to your protective styling repertoire...

for ME, yes it is necessary. I have never used weaves. Back in the day I used braids and they helped. Once I stopped using braids I did not see the type of growth I wanted.

Now I am using wigs. I see a big difference in my hair when I am using wigs versus now when I have had my hair out for the summer (and when I say out I mean in a bun). My hair is thin and fragile and wigs have been helping me to work on the strength of my hair and growth at the same time.

The only caveat is I worry how I will care for my hair when I reach my goal length. I don't want its health to suffer. But I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I gotta vote yes!! I've been wearing weaves and wigs for years and I do it mainly because the Hand n Hair syndrome so the weaves keep me out of my head, and my hair always grows. Now if only I weren't so scissor happy I'd be BSL by now lol.

No Matter If You're Relaxed, Natural, or Texturized, we're all beautiful black women....and it don't get no better than that!

No, they are not necessary; however I do wear wigs as a protective, low manipulation style. I will be going hard core wigging it from Oct-Mar for retention purposes.

i dont think they are necessary, but they do help. you can go weeks or even months with no manipulation, heat, breakage or stress to the hair so it's only choice is to grow. I've always noticed nice growth/retention when in braids/sew-ins.

I've only ever bought one wig my whole life (outside of costumes/halloween), and i only wore that to a dark movie on two occasions (two years after i bought it). I dont think they are for me but i wouldn't count it out completely just yet if i found one i liked (meaning, it fit, was comfy and didn't look like "wiggy").

I would wear a sew-in and braids if i had someone i completely trusted to do my hair. I could do my own sew-ins (and have thought about it for protective-styling) but am too lazy and am trying to save $ right now.

Not for my hair. I didn't know what protective styling was until recently. My hair has grown to MBL with me not doing much of anything and wearing it out daily. I think just adding a good moisturizer will take me to WL.

Most people have to leave their hair alone in some form or another. Wigs/weaves are one of my hobbies - I enjoy them but they're not a must. Ten years ago I didn't know very much about wigs or weave hair, etc. so all I did was braid or twist my own hair - no extensions and leave it alone. I also wore a head wrap pretty much non-stop in the cold weather and my hair always grew fast that way but it also got very boring after a while. Wigs/weaves are more fun coz you can have style versatility while you grow your own hair out. The downside of wigs and weaves is you have to be careful coz if you don't know how to use them you could lose hair which defeats the purpose of protective styling. I never had any breakage problems with braids otoh.

They arent necessary but can be helpful to some. It just depends of you. I have used them but they were too hot for me and I found I liked dealing with my own hair better. I can see how that kind of PS can help those who have a good hair care regimen and don't neglect their own hair just because they are wearing a wig

They are not necessary for me. It is essential that I take care of my ends and give my hair a break occasionally with buns and updos.

A phony pony helped me get to SL, though. I baggied underneath. If I could find another realistic-looking pony, I'd rock it. I just don't like the idea of hiding my hair. Fake hair doesn't look or "feel" right to me. I haven't gotten any weaves since I started growing my hair and I've never worn a wig in my life.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

For me yes. I only say this because I am natural and I like to have straight hair sometimes. Plus, its starting to get cold and wigs keep me warm :lachen:.

Great hair care is essential to reaching your goals....

Weaves and wigs - improperly used... like poor hair care - can lead to problems.:look::look::look:

Its not really the added hair its the cornrows.

I'm comfortable with wearing cornrows in the open (which most women have under their wigs/weaves) so I have less of a need for them. I think some people need them because they want the protectiveness of cornrows but don't like the style. So I'm fine without them, but I do wear wigs, phony puffs, and crochet twists when I get bored of my cornrow style (which is usually back on a diagonal into a claw clip).

Well for me it depends on what's going on with my hair at the time. Weaves and wigs no, they weren't necessary for me. In fact they made things worse! For one thing I don't like weaves because I tried them in the past just as a style option and they thinned my hair out. Wigs I tried the first time I went natural and even while relaxed to give my hair a chance to grow out with low manipulation, but the wigs thinned my edges really badly.

Now braids are my thing for retention and they helped a lot twice when I had alopecia. I had a clean bald spot in my crown area and as soon as I started wearing braids it grew back. This as I said happened twice in my lifetime. However, there have been plenty of times where I didn't wear braids and the only PSing I did was wear one of those phony buns (the kind with hair on a band that you wrap around your own hair) and just kept it moisturized, low manipulation and it I still reached my goals. I believe my hair was just healthy anyway at the time. So, again for me it depends on what's going on with my hair. Right now I'm not doing any PSing and my hair is doing fine. I'm retaining length and reaching my goals by just doing wash-n-gos and moisturizing. I'm wearing a TWA.

Whew! That's about the most I've ever written on a thread. HTH!

Oh, and cornrows as Nikolite said! Those are helpful for me as well, especially while wearing my hair natural. I think it's the low manipulation.

I don't think they are necessary for every1 but it is necessary for ME.

I have a very busy life and for some months I can spend a good amount of time babying my hair, then for some months if I am working towards deadlines and getting some projects done, I will throw my hair in a weave to prevent breakage and even give it some rest from my manipulation of it. May be others go through this. I personally believe if I didn't work 10-12 hours a day, and had more time on my hands, I could grow my hair (set back free) to BSL/MBL and beyond with no problem. Its part convenience/part wanting to rock a different style. But is it necessary to GROW long hair and retain length? I don't think so. It takes technique and a good regimen that you actually STICK to. Real life doesn't allow that consistency for many.

Not sure what I said the first time I replied to this thread, but I don't think they are necessary for everyone. I have grown my hair without wigs and weaves, and without the use of PS. I'm growing it now without wigs and weaves, but I do prefer PS like buns because my hair is very thick and hot (like a wool blanket). And I hate to feel it on my neck in the warmer months.

They are necessary for me bc I work out pretty much everyday and I'm in the Army. So to work out in the morning and go to work within an hour I don't really have time to make sure my hair looks professional etc. Furthermore I know that if my hair is not in a weave I absolutely WILL use heat. Weaves protect my hair from me damaging it. Lastly I wear weaves bc DH nor I are good with the idea of me BCing but this half relaxed half natural look isn't working for me! I'd be a lost cause without my sew ins!

I use wigs and weave because for one, they keep my hands out of my head. Second, i wake up and just put my wig on and go. Third, the elements like wind and the sun are not eating away my hair. Its amazing how fast my hair grows when i cant touch it every 5 seconds.

I don't have anything against them, but my hair is growing just fine without using them. I've gone from SL to past APL wearing my hair out a majority of the time.

I use wigs and weave because for one, they keep my hands out of my head. Second, i wake up and just put my wig on and go. Third, the elements like wind and the sun are not eating away my hair. Its amazing how fast my hair grows when i cant touch it every 5 seconds.

Same for me!!

My hair tangles a lot if left out so I mainly protective style. My hair never grew past my nose because of all the combing and dry hair I would get by leaving it out.

So since I started to PS using braids and twisting my own hair my has grown so much. It has past my nose :)
So yes, braids are part of my routine to grow my hair. I have them in now.

Back