Are wigs/weaves necessary to reach our goals?

Are wigs, weaves, braids, etc. a part of your PS reggie?

• Yes

Votes: 178 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 203 53.3%

• Total voters
I don't think it matters as long as you are protective styling. Once my hair gets to a length that I can bun I will probably stop wearing braids year round.

I use weaves and wigs as my main form of ps plus I'm really lazy in the mornings. Do I believe its necessary? No b/c their are plenty of women who don't ps and still retain length. Weaves/wigs might cause more trouble than they are worth if healthy hair practices are not used (washing/conditioning, moistizing and sealing and proper detangling methods). I'm not to lie b/c I use to talk ish about women who wore weaves/wigs b/c I didn't understand them but now I realize it is a great form of ps for me. To each their own.

I dont find protective styling in general to be necessary, I just reached my bsl goal @ the beginning of the month and use heat, wear my hair out 90% of the time, style it daily, etc....Most things some people swear against, but I'm ok.

I don't think they're necessary. I've seen people grow their hair out without the use of added hair. My mom is one of those people. I think they're helpful though.

They're not essential, but they sure do help especially if you are growing out from a very short length or coming back from damage. I know I would not have made it from severely over-processed ear-length to shoulder length as quickly if it were not for wearing half wigs while baggying daily.

They're not necessary for everyone but they're necessary for me. I have thin hair that wraps around itself to make new knots everyday. PLUS I'm going through the awkward length stage. It's not long enough but too short to do anything cool. I'll just be weaved up until it's the length of the hair that's sewed in. :)

My goal is waist length, right now I'm MBL. Weaves weren't apart of my regimen and I didn't protective style. The only thing I made sure to do is to bun my hair at night and cover it with a net, I used to do this only sometimes but now I'm more consistent. My hair is always down when I'm out, I never put my hair in a bun unless I have a rare off day with my hair dirty and need to hide the evidence. :look: You DON'T need weaves to grow hair. Protective styling is just a good way to preserve and retain length since the ends are tucked away safely. Throughout this whole journey, I've ignored protective styling and still retain growth. Covering my hair at night is an option I choose to do to keep my hair neat, I still used to get to the next hair growth milestone when I hardly did it.

Not necessary for me. I have always gotten great growth with extension braids but when I wore my hair loose for six months, exercising proper care, I got as much or maybe even more growth. My hair is braided up now and, depending how the take down goes, I'm not convinced I'll retain anymore than I did with my hair loose.

Then again, everyone's hair different and if your hair is extremely delicate you may get better results with hardcore PSing. But I doubt it would be necessary, just easier maybe.

Never had a weave. If face - I hate them. I wore braids - but only for a few years. Have not really worn them in years..... so - I think it is more about how to care for your hair than anything else.

I have family members hooked on weaves.... it is sad to me. One Day - they will have to handle their own hair. :look:

I've never worn them, nor has anyone in my immediate family. They just aren't for me. I inadvertently caused my roomies to stop wearing braids/sew-ins. They are convinced my hair is growing because I don't wear weaves/braids.

nope. but for some it may be necessary in order to reach their goals faster. Unless you have some kind of medical condition, hair is always growing. Not seeing length is an issue of ends, not growth.

it sure is necessary for me! wigs, weaves, and braids! i'm guaranteed results when i take them down. never fails!

For me, bunning, TLC and consistency were enough to get me to my goals. Weaves, wigs and phony ponies are just not for me.

For me it works... My hair grows thicker and longer!!!!! I never was BSL untill a weave... Now BSL is the norm and im aiming for midback with a weaves assistance again.... Then that will be a norm, easy to get to length..... And ill weave it to waist length... I will weave it tomorrow...

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

My hair doesn't do well when it's constricted in braids or weaves. I've never had a perm so as a child my hair was always in braids. I still get them once during the summer so I can swim during vacation but my hair retains length like wildfire if I do everything I need to.

No, but wigging etc will allow you to manipulate your hair less, but you still have to take care of it regardless. A lot of people manage to grow long hair without protective styling, but protective styling is important to me and does help me.

For me, protective styling is essential and wear weave or extension braids only further keeps me from messing with my hair. When my hair is out I literally have to manipulate it everyday. Manipulation=less retention due to crappy ends in my case. So taking care of my hair while beneath extensions allows me to play with different styles and wake up with easily fixed hair w/o sacrificing health. Best of both worlds. Also, I suffer from chrnic HIH syndrome >.<

I dont think they are necessary, I just use them becuase Im so limited on self styling... but i think whn i reach ful APL im gonna start bunning. thats a easy style. :)

Last edited:
No, I've never used wigs/weaves/braids on my hair journey. I think they just make it easier for some people to leave their hair alone.
I like to mess with my hair all the time, so I couldn't have it braided up for long periods of time myself. I'm also not into added hair/pieces in general.

It is not necessary at all but it is so convenient for me. I have a very demanding job and when it comes to my hair I can be semi-lazy at times. I do deep condition every weekend but those workdays wear me out. The weaves and the wigs give me one less thing to worry about. And to be honest, I don't like how I look with buns, etc. I have a GORGANTEOUS head. :lachen: In any event, I am getting a sew-in tomorrow.:yay: But, I have had my own hair out for like 3 1/2 months now.

Wigs and weaves tend to me more about convenience than necessity. My hair grows great in and out of weaves/wigs since I started deep-conditioning regularly and limiting heat (almost 2 years now). I am currently grazing BSL when I could barely get past shoulder-length a few years ago.

Are half wigs, wigs, sew-ins, phony ponies, etc. a part of your protective styling regimen? I have never used any of the above-mentioned styles, but I am curious to know how they have worked for you all.

Is there anybody out there that did not use these styles and still reach their goals? Is bunning and TLC enough, or do I need to make this investment (I will if necessary, but I'm trying to continue on my hhj on a budget!!)?

Thanks ladies :-)

I tried to post a poll, but I'm not sure if it worked.

I've been wearing wigs 24/7 but I'm taking a break from it this summer and wearing my own hair. I hope I retain the length I've grown and hope I gain some more growth. We'll see. hhj

They can help or hurt...I think the key is "less is best" and finding a method that works for you....

I agree. Weaves and wigs used improperly can hinder hair health and progress. Like wearing a weave or wig for too long without properly caring for your natural hair and edges underneath can do more damage than good. Its best to find balance and nurture your natural hair WHILE you indulge in weaves and wigs!

I never was much of a weave or wig-wearer until about 2008. I kind of fell in love with the versatility of wigs and I like to switch up my look without damaging my own hair. Wigs and weaves afford me that convenience. They are def. a part of my regimen. I haven't had to trim because of split ends in several years. I don't really have to trim my hair because it has really thrived and been healthy since I've been PS'ing so much.

I mainly use weaves like extension hair to add to box braids and Senegalese twists. I use lace front and full wigs...but I dont ever use glue, and I make sure to wash, condition, and moisturize my hair whenever on a wig schedule (usually during winter months), and also when I'm in braids or twists w. extensions (anytime of year).

Personally, I find I get much more growth and progress with wigs and extensions--or maybe its just the illusion of more progress since I have had my hair tucked away! They aren't NECESSARY for me to grow, but my hair likes to be left alone, and likes low-manipulations regimens and styles...its fine and it grows out much thicker and longer when I've had it braided up or wigged up for a while.

I just have to manipulate my hair too much (daily) to make it look presentable with any other style, even a regular bun (because my length isn't long as I'd like in the front, and I have to gel shorter pieces down). The wigs and weaves mean I can braid my hair down for months at a time, wash, cond., moisturize, and seal in the braids, and retain all that I grow. I love it!

Last edited:
I voted "Yes."

At the beginning of my hair journey, I wore sew-ins to get from NL to SL, and within the last two months I started wigging it. I like it! This is the best way for me to not manipulate my hair as much and it really keeps my regimen simple.

I don't plan to do a length check until October (will go to the salon)...but assuming I don't do something crazy that'll set me back...I'd say I'm closing in on MBL if not there already.

of course not but they sure are great for changing up you look plus they can give you a break from your real hair. i used to be a fake hair snob but now im all about the weave wigs and kinky twists when my hair gets on my last nerve. i still prefer wearing my real hair though but i LOVE the extreme ease of a style with fake hair.

it sure is necessary for me! wigs, weaves, and braids! i'm guaranteed results when i take them down. never fails!

This :yep: My hair is extremely picky and wigs are the only way I can retain visible length. Bunning is way too much manipulation and twists are anorexic on my hair (not to mention the tangles :blush:). I honestly don't like fake hair but it's something I feel like I have to do. I wore wigs all last winter while transitioning and that was the first time I even came close to BSL in the 6 years I'd been on my hair journey. So sadly, for me, wigs are a must.

Back