Are We Gettin Duped (LONG)

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

I was doing research on Chemicals, since some of the indredients in shampoos and hair products have these super long names, I wanted to actually know what is being put on my head.

Well, some things I found - I started with Pantene 1st the new Relaxed/Natural Hair cream that's supposed to be for Black hair because there was an ingredient like 8 syllables long. This product as more chemicals that actually dry the hair yet it's supposed to moisturize.

Their Smooth N Sleek, Classic Care, and Pro V, have the exact ingredients, word for word look:

Water, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Glycol Distearate, Cocamide MEA, Cetyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Sodium Citrate, Dimethicone, Ammonium Xylenesulfonate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate, Disodium EDTA, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Some of these chemicals are the active ingredient from anything Antifreeze to Silly Putty.

Here's the cycle - The shampoo's chemicals dry out the hair, then we need daily moisturizing products to counter act, then clarifying to wash out all the gunk ?!?!? (cha-ching)

The haircare industry IS capitalizing. A study at Berekely University (too long to post) showed that a homemade herbal shampoo can cleanse as effectivly as a commercial product
without the buildup/residue/chemical chain reactions/nottomentionthecost. More and more I have been steering towards Natural Products, after all the Cave Woman that were drug around by thier long hair, did not have the haircare industry but long STRONG hair.

This was taken from "Consumer Alert"
<font color="green"> By the time you're thoroughly cleansed and groomed; you would have absorbed into your body 9 chemical compounds that are known human carcinogens (cancer-causing agents). You will also have exposed yourself 10 times to a group of chemicals that are often contaminated with a carcinogenic by-product or that regularly react to form a potent carcinogen during storage and use. would have absorbed into your body 9 chemical compounds that are known human carcinogens (cancer-causing agents). You will also have exposed yourself 10 times to a group of chemicals that are often contaminated with a carcinogenic by-product or that regularly react to form a potent carcinogen during storage and use.

CAP's study of 120 cosmetics and personal care products found no fewer than 50 cancer-causing chemicals to be used as standard ingredients. Out of this, 10 ingredients are known human carcinogens, 6 can form potent carcinogens and at least 7 types of ingredients may be contaminated with carcinogenic impurities.

Your family's trusted soap, shampoo and toothpaste; the bubble bath and lotion your baby uses every day; your favorite face cream, lipstick, perfume and cleanser; and for the men - your shaving cream, aftershave lotion, hair gel and even face scrub - may all give you CANCER.</font>

Yet we buy this stuff and are "Junkies" for this stuff cause were ok right now, not thinking of how in the future we may lose all our hair to chemo, due to the absorbed hair chemicals.

There was so much more I found out but I'll not post it here or it would be exremely long, besides I'm sure the PJ's and those that just want "nice" hair could care less about what's being offered in their favorite product and I know, I know, everything causes cancer food additives included.

I have resolved to try to use natural products and organic foods when possible. While we have to eat, we don't have to use these overpriced chemicalized hair products.

So, my point in all of this ladies, we are being duped and should find Natural ways of caring for our hair.
think.gif

Hope this was informative for someone. It sure was an eye opener for me.

It's scary that there are so many things in the world that can cause cancer...the sun, stuff in the air we breathe, there's even a substance in over-cooked food that can cause cancer. It's pretty depressing.
nono.gif
But, I guess we do the best we can to prevent it.

Thanks Mindymouse. I've been thinking the same thing myself. I know it's probably almost impossible to avoid carcinogens in the atmosphere, the soil where our food is grown, and probably places that we have yet to think of. I'm leaning more towards natural hair products myself, especially since they make my hair feel much better. But, I guess all and all, I just pray over anything I injest, and for everything I come in contact with.
smirk.gif
Thanks again for taking the time to share.

Blessings,
Compassion

I've been trying to find a natural or organic hair care and skincare line that my hair agrees with but I simply cannot find it although I want to make the switch. How many natural organic shampoos will make my hair feel like cream of nature etc.? none

[ QUOTE ]
I was doing research on Chemicals, since some of the indredients in shampoos and hair products have these super long names, I wanted to actually know what is being put on my head.

Well, some things I found - I started with Pantene 1st the new Relaxed/Natural Hair cream that's supposed to be for Black hair because there was an ingredient like 8 syllables long. This product as more chemicals that actually dry the hair yet it's supposed to moisturize.

Their Smooth N Sleek, Classic Care, and Pro V, have the exact ingredients, word for word look:

Water, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Glycol Distearate, Cocamide MEA, Cetyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Sodium Citrate, Dimethicone, Ammonium Xylenesulfonate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate, Disodium EDTA, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Some of these chemicals are the active ingredient from anything Antifreeze to Silly Putty.

Here's the cycle - The shampoo's chemicals dry out the hair, then we need daily moisturizing products to counter act, then clarifying to wash out all the gunk ?!?!? (cha-ching)

The haircare industry IS capitalizing. A study at Berekely University (too long to post) showed that a homemade herbal shampoo can cleanse as effectivly as a commercial product
without the buildup/residue/chemical chain reactions/nottomentionthecost. More and more I have been steering towards Natural Products, after all the Cave Woman that were drug around by thier long hair, did not have the haircare industry but long STRONG hair.

This was taken from "Consumer Alert"
<font color="green"> By the time you're thoroughly cleansed and groomed; you would have absorbed into your body 9 chemical compounds that are known human carcinogens (cancer-causing agents). You will also have exposed yourself 10 times to a group of chemicals that are often contaminated with a carcinogenic by-product or that regularly react to form a potent carcinogen during storage and use. would have absorbed into your body 9 chemical compounds that are known human carcinogens (cancer-causing agents). You will also have exposed yourself 10 times to a group of chemicals that are often contaminated with a carcinogenic by-product or that regularly react to form a potent carcinogen during storage and use.

CAP's study of 120 cosmetics and personal care products found no fewer than 50 cancer-causing chemicals to be used as standard ingredients. Out of this, 10 ingredients are known human carcinogens, 6 can form potent carcinogens and at least 7 types of ingredients may be contaminated with carcinogenic impurities.

Your family's trusted soap, shampoo and toothpaste; the bubble bath and lotion your baby uses every day; your favorite face cream, lipstick, perfume and cleanser; and for the men - your shaving cream, aftershave lotion, hair gel and even face scrub - may all give you CANCER.</font>

Yet we buy this stuff and are "Junkies" for this stuff cause were ok right now, not thinking of how in the future we may lose all our hair to chemo, due to the absorbed hair chemicals.

There was so much more I found out but I'll not post it here or it would be exremely long, besides I'm sure the PJ's and those that just want "nice" hair could care less about what's being offered in their favorite product and I know, I know, everything causes cancer food additives included.

I have resolved to try to use natural products and organic foods when possible. While we have to eat, we don't have to use these overpriced chemicalized hair products.

So, my point in all of this ladies, we are being duped and should find Natural ways of caring for our hair.
think.gif

Hope this was informative for someone. It sure was an eye opener for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that explains why most people eventually die of cancer. We have to bathe and that means soap unless you make your own; like you would make your own shampoo.

I think I too will stick to picking my conditioners up from the natural health food store. Nature's Gate; Avalon, etc.

I was going to try Pantene's new "black" line. Thanks for saving me another $10!

Cici, I know. But you know that initially those products make your hair feel like that then once dryed those chemicals actually dry your hair out.

MindyMouse,
Thanks for the post. It was very informative!
I've been using organic shampoos for several weeks.
My hair looks and feels better using the organic shampoos!
I was considering the new Pantene (Women of Color) line, but I decided against trying it once I read the ingredients in the BSS.

CICI24, i agree. Keracare works so well with my hair. When I try natural products it doesn't do anything for my hair in comparison to the Keracare.

I am thinking about switching between a natural brand and Keracare, then eventually stick to the natural brand...i gotta think about this one.

Ive been thinking about this alot myself, if you think about it we are literaly washing our hair with dish detergants and floor cleaners!, i checked the ingrediants while im at the grocery store of the dish detergents and liquid laungary detergents and they both have almost the EXACT same things has 90% of all hair shampoos (minus the essesntial oils) the sodium lauryl sulfates are always listed as the first ingredient in all cleaning products , its a sudsing agent (i.e lather, bubbles). That explains why our hair scalps are so dry and itchy right after shampooing, ITS BAD FOR OUR HAIR....Well Im definately switching to orgainc products very soon. The health of my hair is worth the price. Bye Bye Pantene, its been real lol, yeah i know , im trippin.

Thanks for posting this informative piece of information. That explains why I switched to Creme of Nature and mom still chooses to use Tresseme which includes one of those drying sulfates....

That was interesting. You know, I tried that new Pantene moisturizing creme, and it dried my hair more than anything I had tried in years. I threw it out.

Thanks for the info. What natural products would you recommend and do you have a link to the study that you quoted?

Thanks Mindymouse! I read a similiar article before and some arguments about whether our daily cleansing products cause cancer or not. It really is something to think about.

I found a Vitamin Shoppe that I plan to buy some organic products from this weekend. I figure if they don't work for me, oh well...my Elucence doesn't have all the stuff my Keracare has so I can stick with that. It's worth a try.

Thanks Boadicea,

I love that link. Seems as though I can smell the products already. I guess with the shampoo bar you would have to suds it in your hands and then apply to hair. Have you tried it and if so how do you use it.

I didn't buy it because it has SLF in it as the base for the other ingridients but it was tempting, though. Also, I was in the actual store and every time I'd try to go over to the shampoo bars, I'd get bumped out of the way by other women!
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Bye Bye Pantene, its been real lol, yeah i know , im trippin.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL..

Darkchild you had me checkin my Dawn Dish Bottle.

LORD HAVE MERCY
ill.gif
There are similarities

[ QUOTE ]
For things other than natural hair products, for natural soaps and such, you may like www.basin.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that link have you tried any of these.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info. What natural products would you recommend and do you have a link to the study that you quoted?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still testing some, Not sure Aubrey is good I just have'nt found the right combo I like the JAY I tried the green tea, I want to try a few other to see. I went to this site call orangic excellence for thier Rosemary Mint Shampoo, but it has a weird ingredient it in, so I just don't know.

I want something like Bryers Ice Cream, Milk, Cream, Sugar and Strawberries.. LOL I know what those ingredients are and I can pronounce them. LOL

I'll post a link to the site I quote

Okay now I'm depressed. First of all I've got a closet full of "stuff." WOndering if I have the strength to throw it all out?? Second, I love me some Pantene S&amp;S and she love me too.
rofl.gif
**Having flashbacks to life before S&amp;S, getting lightheaded, struggling for breath** Ooooh and Costco has a sale on S&amp;S (33oz bottle plus a 6.8oz travel size for $5.89, I was planning to stock up this weekend.
cry3.gif
cry3.gif
**on the floor kicking and beating fists furiously, stopping just long enough to look up and ask the ladies of LHCF...** Does anyone know of an organic equivalent? Mindymouse, I don't know if I wanna
kiss.gif
for trying to save our lives (possibly)or
whip.gif
swearing.gif
censored.gif
you for taking away my Pantene.
rofl.gif
. Just being honest, you know vanity has a power all it's own. Your information is received in the same spirit of love and kindness it was given.
Rose.gif
I'm just having separation anxiety.
nono.gif
I for one am going to Whole Foods Today.**wipes away tears at the thought of spending money** I recently tried the A.O. GPB and loved it. **cheering up...slighty** Thank you.

LOL @ Brooke

Well I guess we can't avoid chemicals in everything, but it is just plain scary.

Statics show in 1901 1 in 8000 people had cancer
Today 1 - 3

That's really, really, freaky.

I think we can't worry to much about it, but in things we use everyday soap/shampoo we should watch.

http://www.perfectskins.net/a102.asp

Yep mindymouse it's sad but true the shampoos and dish detergents are VERY simular. I feel the same way about my pantene ladies, i still have almost a full bottle of the "Relaxed &amp; Natual for women of color" detergent ops! i mean shampoo lol, i dont wanna let it go but I HAVE TO, i just cant continue washing my hair with dish and laundry detergents my scalp is itching just thinking about it. Organics here i come!.

You all might be interested in Earthly Delight products. They make a couple of shampoos, a conditioner and a pomade. They are available in health food stores, but not where I live. They are also available at willner.com

Earthly Delight Tropical Rain Shampoo:
Distilled water, sage, rosemary, nettles, wheatgerm soap, horsetails, essential oils of neroli, cinnamon and coconut.

Earthly Delight Hair Conditioner:
Deionized water, vegetable glycerin, rince bran oil, avocado oil, wheatgerm protein, panthenol, amino acids, vegetable emulsifying wax, essential oils of neroli, cinnamon and coconut.

Earthly Delight Hair Growth Stimulator Pomade:
coconut oil, virgin olive oil, chlorophyll, essential oils of sage, nettles, rosemary and bergamot.

hmmm i think there is a willner's near me. i want to try to find a shampoo that is natural. maybe try that out for a while and see how my hair reacts. i guess it will take some getting used to. i may have to look into aubreys and jays. oh i got aubrey's blue chamomile shampoo i believe but i never tried it. i may try it soon. God bless you all.

Back