Are We Gettin Duped (LONG)

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
Well I definitely agree that all of those chemicals aren't good for my hair atleast. I have been using Aubrey's 100% organic shampoos and conditioners and my hair absolutely loves them.

[ QUOTE ]
Earthly Delight Tropical Rain Shampoo:
Distilled water, sage, rosemary, nettles, wheatgerm soap, horsetails, essential oils of neroli, cinnamon and coconut.

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMMMMMM That sounds good, and no foriegn name....

Have you tried these or know anyone that has. Heck nevermind I'm gonna order it.

I've used them all. My cousin sent me hers because she didn't like them. The shampoo gave me results similar to Aubrey Island Butter shampoo. Only the ED isn't as thick as the Aubrey shampoo. And with the ED you get twice as much for only a few $$$ more.

I love the conditioner! I plan to order more from willner.com when I run out.

The pomade...
ohwell.gif
I don't know... I've been using it a few nights a week as an overnight pre-no poo treatment. I'm not big on pomades anyway. It looks like AllWays Natural Indian Hemp because of the little bits of herbs in it, but it isn't anywhere near that heavy and greasy! Imagine coconut oil with "stuff" in it... It melts immediately. I have been recommending it to all my friends and relatives that can't give up hair grease.

**Brooke stumbling to the microphone (still cryin')...singing her farewell to Pantene S&S**

At first I was afraid
I was petrified
I kept thinking
I could never live without pantene by my side
But then I spent so many hours
Just thinking how you'll do me wrong
And I grew strong
I learned how to get along....

Oh now go,
Walk out the door
Just turn around now
You're not welcome anymore
Weren't you the one who tried to break off my new growth
Did you think I'd crumble
Did you think I'd lay down and die
Oh no, not I
I will survive

**can't finish..still cryin'** New thought: No more Pantene smell, now I'm ggg-gg-ggggonna smmell *sniff* like herbs and funky spices and all earthy. **bawling, again...stomping my feet, wondering why people are staring at me**

**Glaring at Mindymouse** You did this mouse lady, I was happy in my ignorance, my hair may have started to dry and break eventully and lord knows what else through the absorption of those chemicals, but at least I would smell good. Now, I'm gonna look like Miss Cellie...again.

[ QUOTE ]
At first I was afraid
I was petrified
I kept thinking
I could never live without pantene by my side

[/ QUOTE ]

Mouse lady?
rofl.gif
laugh.gif
rofl.gif

MindyMouse, I didn't mind the smell of the Pantene. I had bought the conditioner, creme, and the shampoo b/c they were on sale. My sister loved the conditioner. I gave the poo and the conditioner away before I had tried it or the creme. I'm sticking with my Optimum.

Okay , I found a really good natural conditioner that gives slip to the hair it worked pretty good when I was natural so I know it will work for my relaxed hair and it only cost me 4.75 at my local health food store. It has all natural ingredients. Nature's Gate Herbal hair conditioner 18 oz for 4.75. Now I have to find a good shampoo that gives slip until then I will use Dr. Bronner's Lavender castille liquid soap. I like to add a table spoon or 2 of oil to my shampoo to make it more moisturizing and if you want your natural shampoo to have slip you can add marshmallow root to it. I am going to stick with all natural hair care and skin care as of today minus relaxing. I will be cleaning out my cabinets and starting over.

Since we are discussing harmful chemicals, I thought I post this information from

http://africanamericantherapists.com/cosmetic.htm

The Dangers of Getting Pretty

Everyday we use skin, hair & bath products and don't have the slightest idea what's in them. Black people are extremely sensitive to many substances, especially synthetic chemicals. Chemicals that the FDA may allow, might just be toxic to many of us. They may affect us in ways we don't even notice. Allergic reactions are not limited to rashes and obvious physical marks. Allergic reactions can be very subtle and come in the form of sudden (or gradual), subtle mood changes. The depression that some people experience may be the result of a combination of allergies. Many clinicians think that psychotic mental illness is often the result of brain allergies. There are so many chemicals in our environment, what can we do? We can limit the ones that we know about.

Start with cosmetics.....

Fingernail polish
Researchers at Johns Hopkins have discovered that most fingernail polishes contain dibutyl phthalate. This dangerous subtstance is associated with a high rate of fertility problems in young women. It affects women 21-30 more than any other age group.

Many fingernail polishes contain formaldehyde, a suspected carcinogen and toluene which can damage the nervous system. Firoze' is a brand that is free of all three chemicals. Almay, Delux, Earthly Delights and Loreal have formulas that are free of toluene and formaldehyde. Buy selectively.

As a group we are consummate bargain hunters, but sometimes those off-brands contain the cheapest, most toxic materials. Read the labels, and if the following chemicals are in your hair, makeup and grooming products remember that it's no bargain if it causes cancer, reduction in brain functioning, or problems with your reproductive system. We list a few chemicals here that are known carcinogens. There are over 300,000 chemicals put in food and cosmetic products, most of which are harmful to humans, so of course we can't list them all:

In Shampoos - Carcinogens:

2-bromo-2nitropropane-1,3-diol, polyethylene glycol, DMDM hydantoin, coal tar, formaldehyde, laureth, polysorbate 60 & 80, D & C Red 33, FD&C Blue 1, FD&C Green 3, FD&C Red 4, FD &C Yellow 6, DEA, TEA. (From The Safe Shopper's Bible)

Instead, look for products made with these gentle cleansers:

Amphoteric -2, -6, or -20

Cocamide diethanolamide or monoethanolamide

Cocamido betaine

Cocamidopropyl betaine

Lauramide monoethanolamide and diethanolamide

Polysorbate 20 or 40

Sodium lauraminopropionate

Sorbitan laurate, palmitate or stearate

Stearamide diethanolamide or monoethanolamide

In Bar Soaps
This is easy! Buy soaps made from natural materials. Health food stores, flea markets, craft fairs & Whole Foods often have homemade soaps. Almond, lavender, Sage, Oatmeal, etc. make you smell lovely and don't leave your beautiful brown skin so dry either.

Thanks, Sithembbile.

""Many fingernail polishes contain formaldehyde, a suspected carcinogen and toluene which can damage the nervous system""

WOW

Thank you for the info guys, both about the toxic products I must discard and the various sources of the the natural products.

Brooke, you're a hoot.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You sure turned this rehab from a sad affair (although a good awakening) to a side-splitting moment.
rofl.gif

I needed the laugh. I share the sentiments of those who feel the pain of parting from "an old friend"...and dread "The New". But Brooke helped take the focus off feeling sorry for myself.
kiss.gif
Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
Oh now go,
Walk out the door
Just turn around now
You're not welcome anymore
Weren't you the one who tried to break off my new growth
Did you think I'd crumble
Did you think I'd lay down and die
Oh no, not I
I will survive

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTFL
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Boy you really love your pantene huh..

Don't go cold turkey..

Sassygirl,
Those ingredients look really good. I wonder what ingredient(s) is acting as the preservative in these products. I was in my local health store a couple of days ago and bought the new shampoo and conditioner from Kiss My Face for Dry-Damaged hair. The ingredients list is made with certified organic botanicals, but at the end of the list are the preservatives, Methylparaben and Propylparaben which I understand are okay. I used them last night,(they smell great!) but also did a protein conditioner and a moisturizer (Humectress and Humecto mixed together) and my hair right now is very dry. Soft but dry. I need something like a pomade, but have been trying to give up Petrolatum and Mineral Oil.

Sorry for the book. Thanks for the info- I am going to check out the pomade you mentioned...does anyone remember Bergamot pomade? Bergamot oil is mentioned in this ingredient list!

Aerie

I feel you.

I kinda got the feeling Pantene wasn't the friend to my hair that I have been thinking it was for a long time. I started reading ingredient lists and understanding the stuff in it was not good for me or my hair. I have not been able to, however, blithely toss out the bottles. I look at them fondly, but sadly every day as I pass them on my way to healthier products...Sob!
cry3.gif

Aerie

Daughter---you don't have to run out of the thread. If you're gonna give up shampoos and stuff becasue of suspected carcinogens, you would really have to look at the dangers of relaxers. Especially, since many of us, first hand get BURNED by relaxers....doesn't that qualify as being harsh?

I don't plan on going natural anytime soon but I already knew about the dangers of relaxing and the suspected carcinogens in various HOUSEHOLD items. Then you should give up dish detergent as well becasue the suspected carcinogens in that may be absorbed through your skin when washing dishes......

We coudl go on and on.

But CICI24, I love Dr. Bronners as a body wash and have used it on my hair as well. I think that is a great alternative. You could add various things to it like oil (like you mentioned), and essential oils. You could use honey but that my lighten your hair over time. You could aslo dilute it with distilled water, floral waters, or herbal teas. The possibilities are endless.......

You make me want to make some shampoo now.....

Good luck girls!!!!

According to Janice Cox in Natural Beauty at Home, honey has a mild bleaching effect over a period of time.

LOL! I just thought it was ironic that there's little or no mention about chemoical relaxers in a discussion about hair products that potentially could cause harm.

Daughter-
I think the discussion is centered around cosmetic items used often( eg daily, bi-weekly, or weekly )due to the constant nature of the use (in both frequency and duration) that the person would be exposed to these harmfully chemicals. The exposure rate is in comparison or relation to relaxing which is on usually on a less frequents basis and for a far less amount of time per exposure session.

One may use a chemical relaxed for 20 mins either 3 or 4 times year. Where routine hair maintenance may involve weekly shampoo, daily conditioner washes, Leave –in conditioner products (*** yikes,
shocked.gif
that’ s bad one***). But you get the idea.

HTH
think.gif
poke.gif

Good question. The little research I did on Sodium Hydroxide, was not (according to the MSDS) not a carinogenic.

It is left of for 20min and rinsed out not used daily, like the other products most use every 6 - 8 wks 5 times a year.
Shampoos, leavins, cond, etc are used daily to 2 -3 times week.

[ QUOTE ]
Daughter-
I think the discussion is centered around cosmetic items used often( eg daily, bi-weekly, or weekly )due to the constant nature of the use (in both frequency and duration) that the person would be exposed to these harmfully chemicals. The exposure rate is in comparison or relation to relaxing which is on usually on a less frequents basis and for a far less amount of time per exposure session.

One may use a chemical relaxed for 20 mins either 3 or 4 times year. Where routine hair maintenance may involve weekly shampoo, daily conditioner washes, Leave –in conditioner products (*** yikes,
shocked.gif
that’ s bad one***). But you get the idea.

HTH
think.gif
poke.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

SORRY ANGEL, I TYPED BEFORE READING YOUR RESPONSE...WE ON THE SAME TRACK THOUGH..

Back