Are these Dominicans licensed?

• Thread starter Thread starter JenniferMD
  • Start date Start date
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
Girl, who cares? Aint nobody complaining. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surly not complaining, but I don't want to be out of luck if/when the state's Barbering and Cosmetology Board cracks down on these establishments /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Girl, I hope a hater doesn't blow it for them after reading this thread. Then we just might be out of luck.

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
Ok, so the dominican salons are pretty popular with some ladies here...and I'm one of them, but was wondering if these ladies are licensed. They don't speak English; you're at the mercy of whomever is avaiable; you can't make appointments; there seems to be a 2-week turnover rate with employees and you can only get one style (I dare you to walk in a DS and ask for straw curls) /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

All these signs scream shaddy /images/graemlins/sekret.gif So, are WE (ladies who truly care for our hair) putting our hair in the hands of unlicensed stylist????? Or maybe it's just my area and the salon I go to! /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope I don't think they are. Sometimes I think the only licensed one is the owner. You pretty much summed up most if not all of the Dom. salons that I have been to, and I've been to plenty. I hate hate hate the language barrier /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif. I love the way they do hair, but its annoying have to explain something to them and then have someone else come over and translate. The simplest thing, like "put a little more conditioner on the ends please" they can't get. I love them, I do, but the language barrier is my biggest problem with them.

Britt,

I saw one customer hand one of the Dominican stylists a piece of paper (typed in Spanish). She told me she wasn't going to have any mis-communication. So, she just typed it up and translated it online and gave it to her. I thought that was a very smart thing to do.

If they're licensed, they should have it displayed where the customers can see it. If they dont have one displayed, they dont have one. It's one of the basic laws of being a Cosmetologist. You must display your license.

Ahhh, I think I've found their loophole. There are two ways of getting licensed. 1). By going to a beauty school or 2)By being in a registered apprentice in a licensed beauty salon.

they'd still have to display their license if they had one though.. you can only be an apprentice for a certain amount of time (time depends on the state).

When I visited Baltimore this past summer and got a blowout I don’t remember seeing any licenses hanging up but I can say that they knew how to do other styles. I went in and I saw a few customers get their hair curled with the rollers/rods. IMO, I could care less if they have them (yeah…it’s illegal but who hasn’t done something illegal) as long as they don’t jack up my hair, I’m straight! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i usually have my co-worker call up and tell them what i want... that way, when i get there, they know exactly what to do. AND it also helps that some of them actually DO speak English and they translate to the beautician that's gonna hook me up. I LOVE THEM... license or no /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
I highly doubt that many of them are licensed. I have had to translate many welfare documents for a few of the stylists at my salon. I can't imagine a licensed beautician would qualify for welfare.

I also agree with Sassy...there are some ppl with legit papers who I wouldn't let groom my dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...lets just say I work in a homeless shelter and a few of my clients (who are dominican) work in a beauty salon off the books b/c they are here illegally.....you decide. But i'm sure there are licensed domincan stylist out there....just not the majority. But hey, i've seen people with a bachelor degree living in the shelter so who am I to judge.

have u seen any liscense certificates hanging up on the walls in their salons??? i guess this could go the same way with nail salons with asian workers. but i usually see certificates hung up on their walls.

I don't know if they are and don't care /images/graemlins/smile.gif. There are plenty of unlicensed Black stylists, also, so I wouldn't think by virtue of being a Dominican one would be any more/less likely to be licensed /images/graemlins/look.gif.

Also, I don't have any issues with the language barriers...all you have to do is learn the 3/4 Spanish phrases you need to talk to a stylist.

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
Ok, so the dominican salons are pretty popular with some ladies here...and I'm one of them, but was wondering if these ladies are licensed. They don't speak English; you're at the mercy of whomever is avaiable; you can't make appointments; there seems to be a 2-week turnover rate with employees and you can only get one style (I dare you to walk in a DS and ask for straw curls) /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

All these signs scream shaddy /images/graemlins/sekret.gif So, are WE (ladies who truly care for our hair) putting our hair in the hands of unlicensed stylist????? Or maybe it's just my area and the salon I go to! /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The majority of them are NOT. The salon is licensed as an operating salon but those who have actual licenses are few. Licenses are supposed to be posted at the station and I haven't ever seen one in the DC area or NY. You should ask for their operators license. Most will point you in the direction of the salon license. /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

It's frustrating for those ladies who have legitimatly gone to school to be a stylist.

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
I agree with Sassygirl /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have been to plenty of licensed stylists who set me up big time. I'll pick my un-unlicensed Dominican stylist over a licensed one anyday, homegirl can bang out a touch-up.
Also, I've seen them do flexi-sets and use hotcurlers /images/graemlins/smile.gif
EDT:
I have been they only need licenses to perform chemical services. Can't remember where I heard it from!

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true. Unless the are considered an apprentice and hold an apprentice license, they are not suppose to be working on any clients for any type of service. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif hey i have 2 stylists with licenses that do great hair. that nail salon thing is true. 1 or 2 people will have a license and then they train their entire family to jack up your nails

[/ QUOTE ]

You ain't right. /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MizAvalon said:
Most of them probably aren't licensed. All it takes is 1 or 2 people with a license to operate a shop. Also, just because you see licenses hanging up on the walls doesn't mean that the person's whose name is on it actually works there. You can pay for those. Lots of places(hair, nails, massage, etc.) do shady things like that. Most African ladies that do braids aren't licensed either.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the state of Maryland you don't need a license to give a braid service.

[ QUOTE ]
KarmenDeaha said:
[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
I have been to plenty of licensed stylists who set me up big time. I'll pick my un-unlicensed Dominican stylist over a licensed one anyday, homegirl can bang out a touch-up.
Also, I've seen them do flexi-sets and use hotcurlers /images/graemlins/smile.gif
EDT:
I have been they only need licenses to perform chemical services. Can't remember where I heard it from!

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true. Unless the are considered an apprentice and hold an apprentice license, they are not suppose to be working on any clients for any type of service. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I guess I stand corrected. A dominican stylist who is also a member here told me this, Tania.. She used to own a shop in NY but moved to Maryland currently operating out of her home, so I took her word for it /images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Reginia you are in cosmotology school I guess you know for sure

[ QUOTE ]
saddity1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
I highly doubt that many of them are licensed. I have had to translate many welfare documents for a few of the stylists at my salon. I can't imagine a licensed beautician would qualify for welfare.

I also agree with Sassy...there are some ppl with legit papers who I wouldn't let groom my dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...lets just say I work in a homeless shelter and a few of my clients (who are dominican) work in a beauty salon off the books b/c they are here illegally.....you decide. But i'm sure there are licensed domincan stylist out there....just not the majority. But hey, i've seen people with a bachelor degree living in the shelter so who am I to judge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care whether or not they have a piece of paper. I am more concerned that they have the skills. As long as my hair isn't falling out at their hands, I will continue to patronize them.

Like you said, there are ppl with degrees living in homeless shelters /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
[ QUOTE ]
KarmenDeaha said:
[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
EDT:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I guess I stand corrected. A dominican stylist who is also a member here told me this, Tania.. She used to own a shop in NY but moved to Maryland currently operating out of her home, so I took her word for it /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in cosmetology school. I am not any longer. If you go to the Maryland Board of Licensure, you can see all the professions from Doctors to Stylist and the licensure that they are suppose to have.

Please use my screen name! I never given you that name. Whomever told you, well... but please don't refer to me as that.Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
KarmenDeaha said:
[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
[ QUOTE ]
KarmenDeaha said:
[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
EDT:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in cosmetology school. I am not any longer. If you go to the Maryland Board of Licensure, you can see all the professions from Doctors to Stylist and the licensure that they are suppose to have.

Please use my screen name! I never given you that name. Whomever told you, well... but please don't refer to me as that.Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Dag I want to change my screen name too

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
Don't change your screename. I can't keep track of who's who. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/spinning.gif Alright /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
Don't change your screename. I can't keep track of who's who. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what kept me from changing mine. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Karmen-I think Denali used your name becuase that is what you were previously registered here under. Even now when I see your screen name I think of the other name.

As for licensure or lack there of, I think most probably don't have licenses in the cheaper places but that is a function of the whole immigrant thing. Just like most Africans aren't licensed braiders, the threaders aren't licensed estititions etc. As long as you do good work, you're gonna have patrons which is why here in NYC most (not all) dominican salons/african braiders etc are gonna be packed.

People by nature want a deal and so will patron them. The dominicans by me that charge 25 for a wash and set are just as empty as the blacks that charge 25. To me personally I see the cheaper places as very smart business wise, because they are building a steady clientele with their prices even if their skills are average. My new weaver only charges 60.00 so I get my butt up and travel all the way to Bk for her. She has so many people daily for her weaves that she never makes less that 500 a day. You just have to be willing to work efficiently which many are not willing to.

Back